GCN Star Fox Assault NTSC-J

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I have what may on the surface be one of the more odd/useless inquiries most have seen...

I am wondering if anyone knows if there is a patch for the Japanese version of Star Fox Assault that translates the Japanese text to English, or if anyone might be willing to take a crack at it? The reason I ask this is because I finally got my hands on a Japanese copy of the game recently, and while playing through have noticed that the animations on the characters are almost always more emotive than on the English copy.

Think of it like a subbed anime. Depending on who does the "localization" for certain shows, the English voice acting can be terrible and detract from enjoyment of it. So a good amount of people opt to go for the original Japanese audio and acting with English subtitles. It's sort of the same here, except with animations.

I found a good video comparing the English and Japanese versions, by the good Mr. Krystal over at the Krystal Archive. As such, it focuses on Krystal, but it still gets the point across. Pay close attention to the mouths of the characters as they speak. You'll see the mouths actually form the words they're speaking, not just flapping up and down N64-style. Also, you will notice facial expressions in the Japanese version. The Katina briefing is a good example of this (it's the second comparison, 40-something seconds in).

There are occasional minor differences during actual game play as well. For example, instead of Krystal, Slippy is the one who is shot at by the first Aparoid boss (the one you fight right after Andrew Oikonny) in the Japanese version. I'm sure now we all wish that the Apariod had been a better shot :P

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
oh you wnat to make an undub right? I wnate dto do his to start playig this game but the files inside are very cifusing, I have no idea where are the voices sounds XD

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
depending on the game it may not be too hard, but whether or not someone will invest their time to do it is another thing, good luck :)

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No kidding. Star Fox (especially anything past the 64) doesn't generate a whole lot of interest. This is kind of a shot in the dark really, and it may be something I have to look into doing on my own.

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
well don't give uo this easy! Look a way for doing it yourself and share with who want it as well XD
I tried a byt but I can't find the audio files, like I told you,(It's easy tos with the audion from english game than the text from the japaese game ...) , maybe yuou ca... it need some research but its not impossible !
I Can't hepl you now because I still on my journey for undubing smash brothers for 3DS :P but le me tell you something I learned with the smash here ...iT's hard to ask something like this and someone just come, help you and stuffs ... sometimes we need to put the hands on the stuffs and do it...

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well don't give uo this easy! Look a way for doing it yourself and share with who want it as well XD
I tried a byt but I can't find the audio files, like I told you,(It's easy tos with the audion from english game than the text from the japaese game ...) , maybe yuou ca... it need some research but its not impossible !
I Can't hepl you now because I still on my journey for undubing smash brothers for 3DS :P but le me tell you something I learned with the smash here ...iT's hard to ask something like this and someone just come, help you and stuffs ... sometimes we need to put the hands on the stuffs and do it...
All very true. This will be something of a project I think :P

Reactions: Sliter

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need to start researching the methods used in other translated GameCube ROMs. Maybe the same tools could be applied? At any rate, I won't be able to go full on at this like I would want. Real life does come first and rent isn't going to pay itself :P

XiTaU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have never played the Japanese version u should make a comparison video just so people can see what ur talking about and get the hype train rolling.

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I have never played the Japanese version u should make a comparison video just so people can see what ur talking about and get the hype train rolling.

ah it's only works for who are fan of japanese dub or really don't like the englsh one ...
For example someone made this for asking an smash X/brawn undub , what I saw he got wa sbe called weeaboo because the englsh version is good enough(belive or not, wasn't me asking for it XD)
But come on if you compare, english Pit sound like a retarded, while the original sound like a kid (and it are keept ... why tey make he screaming in a so retarded way? xAX this annoy me lol) , pokemon trainer is totally annoying in english, Ike sound like an angry man but on original you ca feel his testosterone emaning frm his words XDD
what I mean is that, even with an example and proof that undub is better, if the persons don't care about the dub at all it's not a issue like for us that care XD so no hype coming :B even who translate the game don't care, since they could just let an opition to play it undub, instead of jusr removing the sound :P
but just look fr japanese star fox assault in youtube if you are curious xD

I need to start researching the methods used in other translated GameCube ROMs. Maybe the same tools could be applied? At any rate, I won't be able to go full on at this like I would want. Real life does come first and rent isn't going to pay itself :P

I this you just need an extractor and a compactor, so you ca look for the files and change them
I tried with GC rebuildr but I can't just replace a entire folder so I don't know õ3o

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not a bad idea. I had originally made a recording for myself to make a comparison without needing to load Dolphin. I believe there are some already on YouTube though. If I can find one I like I'll embed it. No need to reinvent the wheel.
ah it's only works for who are fan of japanese dub or really don't like the englsh one ...
For example someone made this for asking an smash X/brawn undub , what I saw he got wa sbe called weeaboo because the englsh version is good enough(belive or not, wasn't me asking for it XD)
But come on if you compare, english Pit sound like a retarded, while the original sound like a kid (and it are keept ... why tey make he screaming in a so retarded way? xAX this annoy me lol) , pokemon trainer is totally annoying in english, Ike sound like an angry man but on original you ca feel his testosterone emaning frm his words XDD
what I mean is that, even with an example and proof that undub is better, if the persons don't care about the dub at all it's not a issue like for us that care XD so no hype coming :B even who translate the game don't care, since they could just let an opition to play it undub, instead of jusr removing the sound :P
but just look fr japanese star fox assault in youtube if you are curious xD

I this you just need an extractor and a compactor, so you ca look for the files and change them
I tried with GC rebuildr but I can't just replace a entire folder so I don't know õ3o

I know what you mean by stupid sounding voices in English game versions. Fox sounded just fine in Brawl, but then they went and re-recorded all of his dialogue (the exact same dialogue) and now he sounds like the main character on a low-budget 90's Saturday morning cartoon. What I'm talking about isn't necessarily Assault having crummy voice acting. I thought it wasn't terrible. Again, it all boils down to the expressions of the characters, animation.

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Not a bad idea. I had originally made a recording for myself to make a comparison without needing to load Dolphin. I believe there are some already on YouTube though. If I can find one I like I'll embed it. No need to reinvent the wheel.

I know what you mean by stupid sounding voices in English game versions. Fox sounded just fine in Brawl, but then they went and re-recorded all of his dialogue (the exact same dialogue) and now he sounds like the main character on a low-budget 90's Saturday morning cartoon. What I'm talking about isn't necessarily Assault having crummy voice acting. I thought it wasn't terrible. Again, it all boils down to the expressions of the characters, animation.

yeha .. but something is true ... the character voice maybe is good but the actiking being terrible D:
This is for the smash4 fox, or western sonic that have a nice voice, but comparing with the original on actinig , is a completely different character (well actually everyone in sonic .. exept tails that got some terrible voice acting :v )

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: