zone97

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Here is the situation. Here i am at work, about to take lunch and play some club house games with mmy wife via WFC.. Well I connect and create a room and wait... Mean while, a fellow tech came into the break room and told me his laptop just went BSOD, as did mine. At the same time.. Well we check the rest of the office and it only effected ours.. Now neither laptop is connected wirelessly. My tech had complained about having a virus he had issues with a week ago but had said nothing sence. I checked my system and also had nothing...

What we discovered was very strange. The DSL was causing the BSOD's.. If i turned the DSL off and back on and went to the WFC the second it connected, both laptops would die.

Now the DSL has a static IP from set, 1 laptop does and the other doesnt. I even changed the IP of the DSL and no change still BSOD... Anyone ever heard of anthing like that?

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is strange. Maybe the router is limiting the amount of simultaneous connections. As soon as you connect with the DS, the PC's get cut off......though I'm not sure why both PC's would crash.....unless the 2 PC's rely on each other somehow and if one crashes, they both do.

Maybe it's a combination of connection limiting and a MAC address issue. See if your DS has the same MAC address as one of the PC's.

Otherwise, I couldn't say what the heck is going on.

zone97

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Both laptops are wired, not wireless. The wireless router is not being used, other than by the DSL. Now this recently stated happening and I do rember upgrading the firmware for the router recently. It is a USR router configured as an access point only. no DHCP. humm wonder if i need to back the firmware back.

cory1492

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Dig around for crash logs on the affected PCs. Usually with a blue screen it gives a memory dump and mentions what program caused the exception somewhere. On a side note, my brother has one of those cable modem phones, if we have it hooked to any PC and the phone rings, one of the modules creates an unhandled exception (write to protected memory IIRC) which causes a bluescreen (and due to the settings of the PC, immediate reboot), though outgoing calls work 100%... it's about the only thing hardware related that I have ever seen which comes close to what you are experiencing.

At a guess though, DS wifi has to use a specific/slower mode than most PC's do... perhaps when it is telling the connected PCs that it is going into a different mode things go bonkers. It's a good bet that it has something to do with the udpate, if it has never done it before (they didn't by chance produce a changelog with your recent upgrade that mentions any changes to how wireless b/g etc are handled, did they? You might also look into the wireless drivers on both affected PC's, maybe they need an update too, and happen to be the same drivers?

zone97

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Laptops are not using wireless..
smile.gif
man you guys read the post!!!!
smile.gif

also there are 27 other PCs on this network, servers workstations.. Only these 2 laptops were effected? This is what makes it even more of a mystery.

This is what was in the system event log at the time of the crash..

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000000a (0xffffff9a, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x80533281). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini030807-01.dmp.

Little

I r Little
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
While the laptops aren't wireless, they must be in someway, at some point, connected to the same network, where the wired and wireless meets up. Its there that your problem is going to be.

Digeman

Trophies
XP
Country
That IS the stangest issue ever!
laugh.gif
Sorry man couldn't resist
rofl2.gif
Oh and I don't know squat about computers so can't help ya there but wish you the best of luck!
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    And the ones that aren't afraid of being anonymous get it the worst
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh he said this to me, get over it Sunflower
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    the internet is and can get nasty really fast
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah but it's the same ones whining about them being a victim when they want negative attention for others lol
    +3
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    although having a bad day or bad card dealt in life is just a personal issue, how you communicate to others will determine how others will treat you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No not really some people just act a certain way to please the crowd it's the internet
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    yeah, there's those also, they act entirely different compared to their RL persona
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even in life you have fake crumbs that act a certain way just to please other friends
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i call those just asskissers
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You can spend years talking to each other and stop suddenly just because others don't like you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Goes back to the oh I wanna fit in with this crowd type
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I don't even have blood related family members left that I can talk to anymore, everyone is estranged
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I live by if it happens to you it can happen to them and most likely will so fuck them
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's funny how life works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A cycle of payback and I told you so
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sometimes I don't know if I'm frustated or happy

:wacko:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wanted to jerk off but my straight jacket won't let me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    wait,...BDSM don't use straight jackets, what kinda horsin' around are you even up to? nevermind, dun wanna know
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I didn't fall asleep with the jacket on
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    good luck, dun get butraped by ancientboi and you're gud
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Other way around ancientboi wants to be buttraped
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Only if you're too close to where he is.
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I didn't sleep earlier because I spent the night completing a bunch achievements in my favorite mega man x game
    NinStar @ NinStar: I didn't sleep earlier because I spent the night completing a bunch achievements in my favorite...