Hacking SSHing into the 3DS using mac address?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EthanObi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So for those of you who have heard of WinSCP, it allows you to set up a file transfer connection using either IP addresses or Mac addresses. The 3DS has a mac address, I have managed to (i think) A small bit possibly required to access The 3DS FileSystem.
Example:
A1:B2:C3:D4:E5 Is your 3DS mac address.
Port 21
FTP is the only working file protocol the 3DS seems to connect to properly.
Username can be root, 3DS, nintendo, 3D, or Console it appears.
password is where issue's arise....It says "connection failed The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found."
So back to the main idea. Why hasn't anyone thought of this before? It is just as simple as the iDevice OpenSSH, It's just a matter of FINDING the password!
Inb4flamewarandcommonkeyrequiredBS...

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hmm, I actually get a acces denied error..
Status: Connection attempt failed with "ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server".
Error: Could not connect to server

Which you don't get when connecting to a random IP address which has no FTP server running.

DaRk_ViVi

Sending you back... to the future!
Trophies
Website
www.darkvivi.it
XP
Country
Italy
This doesn't mean anything, it answers that because he can ping the mac address, nothing more.
Try for yourself by adding the mac address of another device you have connected to the same wireless, it will give you the same message. ;)

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Ok...first of all, there's a reason you have to jailbreak your iDevice before you can SSH into it, it's not an available feature that comes with the device originally. For instance, try to SSH into any iDevice using the Mac address and see what happens.

Secondly, the "Common Key Required" thing isn't bullshit.

Thirdly, Nintendo wouldn't be stupid enough to leave such a huge hole open like this on their system. Yeah, you still need a password and all, but even if we did figure it out everything would still be encrypted

And finally, we have a thread for hacking theories, try posting there instead of making a new thread.

Reactions: 1 person

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
This doesn't mean anything, it answers that because he can ping the mac address, nothing more.
Try for yourself by adding the mac address of another device you have connected to the same wireless, it will give you the same message. ;)
Ofcourse. Getting a bit late for me!
I got all happy because it didn't give an error when connecting to a random IP address (which I thought was currently connected to the network, but it wasn't)

EthanObi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok...first of all, there's a reason you have to jailbreak your iDevice before you can SSH into it, it's not an available feature that comes with the device originally. For instance, try to SSH into any iDevice using the Mac address and see what happens.

Thirdly, Nintendo wouldn't be stupid enough to leave such a huge hole open like this on their system. Yeah, you still need a password and all, but even if we did figure it out everything would still be encrypted

And finally, we have a thread for hacking theories, try posting there instead of making a new thread.
Since you are titled 'Sarcasm man' i'm assuming you are being sarcastic.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States

No, I'm being serious.

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

thats true it would be encrypted , but if it was encrypted and this does work would it allow us to get a 3ds fw update on our pc and then be able to emulate NUS to update a 3ds to a fw we want, like say a fw version is cracked ,and you are on a lower fw , and new fw above the one that is cracked is released , so you only have the option to stay on the lower fw or go to the higher fw, could this be used to get to the middle one? like if current fw is hacked and you buy a new 3ds and it has lower fw out of the box and then ninty comes out with a new fw, so could you update to the middle fw?not latest one by emulating update server?

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

No, I'm being serious.
In this case, his title was being sarcastic about being sarcastic.

Reactions: 5 people

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country

No, I'm being serious.
In this case, his title was being sarcastic about being sarcastic.

1148_1253230725640.jpg

Reactions: 4 people

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Just because FTP usually uses port 21, doesn't mean the 3DS uses it for that.

It could use port 21 for streetpass, for example. The protocols may just be similar enough for you to get to through the username but it falls over once you get to password.

YamiHoshi.nl

I'm MKGirlism.
Trophies
Website
www.dshack.org
XP
Country
People, really, there's a difference between FTP and SFTP.
FTP needs to run separately, while for SFTP, there's no FTP Server needed, just (Open)SSH.
Nintendo really isn't that stupid to have these Servers turned on, if they have, than it's their Online/Web/whatever Servers, which are most probably only open for their own IP Ranges, and closed for all the other IP Addresses.

JaronMatthewHigg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am positive Nintendo wouldn't let anything run an FTP to access the filesystem. But nice theory though.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
As nice as this idea is/was (you could have check all the open ports, not just 21), it's still a theory.
post in the theory to get other users to try it too.
If it's something positive and new (not only as a possible hack, but even just documenting), then post it outside the theory thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23HgOvEYrDc