Gaming SSF IV Lag Issues

sonknuck23

Mighty Switch Force >
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is this going to be one of those games where the WiFi feature is useless 'cause the online just generally sucks? Hopefully, I'm wrong.

I'm wondering if the game is just like this, or if maybe for some reason my connection is just shit. Maybe there's ports I can open or something, I don't know how this stuff works, but I'm nowhere near far from my router (my Wii and Laptop connect perfectly from this room) and the 3DS works fine, but the past few SF matches I've had, I suffered from massive lag (luckily I still wont, but fuck.)

Anyway, anything I can do? Maybe I could get one of those snazzy "gamer" routers?

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It all depends on your connection and the connection of your opponent.

Oh and distance matters to. Setting the game to only play "regional" online will help quite a bit (before I did that I randomly got matches from Japan and other countries which were noticeably laggier)

In general if ALL of your matches are lag fests, it's your connection. If it's just occasion it's theirs. Do note that the very nature of online means there will inherently be at least SOME lag and in a fighting game that always blows... but nothing you can do about it... you'd notice the same on the x-box, PS3, and windows versions as well.

All said, it's still very very playable for me.

sonknuck23

Mighty Switch Force >
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Funny, Koji. . when I went regional, I got more lag.
tongue.gif

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depending on where you live in Quebec, you may have a very long distance to say someone you're playing against in the US west coast so that's not entirely unexpected, but playing in any region could have you playing someone next door, or someone in the middle of China which would be far laggier
wink.gif

MakiManPR

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
I have 4MB Internet and I don't have that much lag
What I noticed is that the analog pad isn't responsive and a fast fighter game like SSF4 it need to be super responsive or maybe is me cuz I have it in the PS3
also love the game

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I get into occasional lag matches. I think most people who lag know they do. Seriously every fucknut with a piece of shit 3 pennies a year dial-up connection only spam 1 or 2 moves the entire match.
It's fucking annoying. DS games need to lern2discern high ping. The game should see "oh shit, this kid connecting to this player is going to ping for 500+, let's freakin' stop it from happening."
It's a simple system to set up. People with bad connections shouldn't be allowed to play.

But anyways, 9/10 matches don't lag. But it happens enough to annoyingly end my streaks prematurely because some asshole wants to spam 1 god damn move over and over and I can't do shit because of the lag causing me to have 5 seconds delays.

EDIT: and all you can do is search for fights within the same region. That's the best you can do.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
I have lag rarely, usually I assume it's because the opponent has low interwebz count (I HAVE LOTZ OF INTERWEBZ).

90% of the time it plays silky smooth like single player/local matches. I am amazed at how smooth and responsive it is, honestly. And the matchmaking is quick!

Nintendo really upped their online game with the 3DS. I hope more games with online follow...

altorn

Trophies
Website
atlaswing.zxq.net
XP
Country
Canada
first, it takes me a few tries to get an opponent in Internet Battle>Quick Match.
then 3-5 matches the control, animation, etc stutters (which means lag)..
i have a decent connection, so it might be my opponent, or as you guys said, distance..

some players just spam with hadoken/tiger shot, lag or no lag. but having lag will always off my timing.
so far i won 5 out of 12 matches against other players. i'm not that good but hey, lolz.

Omninox

GBATemp's™ Retired Cheats Compiler
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
from all the matches ive had online, only like 3 were laggy, one was due to my internet actin up but the other two were most likely due to bad internet on the other side. Most of the time the online is very smooth.

knoxvillz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I notice in matches were the lag is bad they are always using people that can spam fireballs, sonic booms, tiger shots and just wait for you to jump over them so that they can just use their uppercuts or flash kicks. You might even get few turtling people who have command throws that just wait till you get close and throw.

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
knoxvillz said:
I notice in matches were the lag is bad they are always using people that can spam fireballs, sonic booms, tiger shots and just wait for you to jump over them so that they can just use their uppercuts or flash kicks. You might even get few turtling people who have command throws that just wait till you get close and throw.
Yeah, that's how one of my matches went. Was playing against a Sagat user, lag was pretty bad and he started spamming fireballs, knowing I couldn't move away with the lag. And when I managed to get away, he'd use a throw if I was up close.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
People are assholes online.

I HATE that every Guile player just SonicBooms and Flash Kicks when I am close. I CAN'T DO ANYTHING with the LAAAAAGGG

DO people have shitty connections on PURPOSE just to pull shit like this?

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Quite honestly Street fighter is one of those fighters you want to play locally so if someone is a fucking douche you can just punch them in the face and KO them while they're unconscious. *shrug*

I'm used to fighters like Soul Calibur where it's pretty rare for a cheap ass turtle strategy to actually work on anyone but morons.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had lag twice, with the second time being pretty bad (though still better than my previous MvC3 experiences.) In the second one, the person went to the corner to turtle and fire off Hadouken's - unfortunately for them, that technique doesn't work on Rose and her reflector. Whenever they'd jump over the reflection, they were met with a nice Soul Toss. Worked both rounds
smile.gif

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's sad is people playing Guile online isn't too far off from what you see in offline Guiles. I don't mean to compare pros and newbs but what I mean is that you'll see them abuse what works; Sonic Boom has an extremely fast recovery. You have very little frames in between to punish it from up close. The best thing to do is make Guile eat an ultra that can go through projectiles.

Guile is top tier in ssf4 for a reason. He's overall really good.

Tip: learn not to play with shortcuts. You'll get trolled by Guile. HARD.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nobody is reading what you post.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    That Dell data breach is worse than people probably realize....
    When I worked for Dell we had access to data about military contracts and addresses for high ranking people.
    I personally handled a call from the second highest person at Raytheon. That call bothered me a lot... The guy was nice and smart what bothered me was the way management basically just blew him off instead of going the extra mile to help him.
    In the end that call ended up costing Dell millions in lost contracts with Raytheon, and really the issue could have been solved for like 450 bucks lol
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    sometimes I wonder why anyone would ever buy mega man x legacy collection 2
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I always thought that capcom shuffled the games in these collection, but apparently they are all in chronological order, which makes legacy collection 2 worthless
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i want to start singing pirate metal songs and sea shanties if i play sea of thieves
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    find a pirate metal playlist
    +2
    and sing along
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nevermind i just learned swearing is against the rules in sea of thieves

i was about to start singing the song i last put in "what song are you currently listening to" yesterday
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    but yeah ig so
    swearing not allowed in a pirate game? what has the world come to
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (here's the song for context)
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Just add -izle to the end of every curse word, you will be fine.
    +2
    i like alestorm
    +1
    @BigOnYa too many syllables
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    same lmao
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    hi, welcome to the Temp!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Welcome to the Underground!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    the booty boogie from (once again) the donkey kong country cartoon could also be a good song to sing while playing sea of thieves
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Please insert 25 cents for an additional 30 minutes of talk time.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Please insert 25 cents for an additional 30 minutes of talk time.