ssd expansion

ron2797k

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hello, a few days ago I acquired a CFexpress adapter to use it on my series s with a ssd m.2 that I had left over when I changed the one on my laptop. But I was wondering in what format I should put the ssd to be compatible and if I have to create a partition. I hope you can help me. Thanks!

fringle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello, a few days ago I acquired a CFexpress adapter to use it on my series s with a ssd m.2 that I had left over when I changed the one on my laptop. But I was wondering in what format I should put the ssd to be compatible and if I have to create a partition. I hope you can help me. Thanks!
As far as I'm aware this method will only work with an official donor SSD taken from a series s or series x. Possibly due to being a whitelisted drive. I feel like someone will need to figure out a way to spoof an unofficial drive for it to be able to work. Much like what was done with the xbox 360 to get unofficial drives working as retail.

SodaSoba

‿︵‿︵‿︵ヽ(°□° )ノ‿︵‿︵‿︵‿
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If it's the same adapter I've been looking at the only compatible drives are the ch sn530 ones specifically CH SN530 and not PC SN530?
It's a shame we can't use any SSD we want without being shafted over price.

I believe still the best way to juggle space without downloading titles continually is to get a cheap usb3 external HDD and move games to that and from that device as needed. Granted it's not an instant solution but it's considerably cheaper if you are storing huge titles.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's the same adapter I've been looking at the only compatible drives are the ch sn530 ones specifically CH SN530 and not PC SN530?
It's a shame we can't use any SSD we want without being shafted over price.

I believe still the best way to juggle space without downloading titles continually is to get a cheap usb3 external HDD and move games to that and from that device as needed. Granted it's not an instant solution but it's considerably cheaper if you are storing huge titles.
That's what I'm doing on the ps5, don't have enough series x games for this to be a problem. Those m2 ssd are too expensive for my blood.

SodaSoba

‿︵‿︵‿︵ヽ(°□° )ノ‿︵‿︵‿︵‿
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's what I'm doing on the ps5, don't have enough series x games for this to be a problem. Those m2 ssd are too expensive for my blood.
I agree, it seems using a priority device is just a money grab and isn't very cost effective.
Locking the device to a specific drive is annoying but I would prefer more space with drive juggling over the ability to just play titles with less overall storage.
The average size of my installs is 80gb
I have yet to hit my limit but I do have gamepass and there are a few x|s titles, I still haven't purchased any expanded storage.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree, it seems using a priority device is just a money grab and isn't very cost effective.
Locking the device to a specific drive is annoying but I would prefer more space with drive juggling over the ability to just play titles with less overall storage.
The average size of my installs is 80gb
I have yet to hit my limit but I do have gamepass and there are a few x|s titles, I still haven't purchased any expanded storage.
What makes matters even more difficult is I have a data cap of 1280GB/month, so I just store ps5 digital and psn+ on external for storage.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1