Hacking SSBB decent hackers needed

nutta_nic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
with the smashstack exploit now avalable for ntsc users an autobooting copy of brawl would be an awesome brick recovery tool but unfortunatly the ntsc version has a check for the autoboot patch and black screens with the message "Please Insert Super Smash Bros Brawl Game Disc" now i've had conformation that the pal version autoboots fine but region changing it to ntsc does not work for the smashstack,

a quote from a previous discussion
Dippy1981 said:
I don't think that would work...from what I understand it's not the different regions which stops smashstack working on PAL copies of SSBB, but it's the fact that the NTSC version and PAL version of the game are different in more ways than just the region.

The game-code is actually different, and this is what stops smashstack working on PAL (or NTSC-J) versions of the game.

so my question is this, could anybody out there in the whole of gbatemp land come up with a patch to remove this check, maybe the main.dol needs patching i have no idea

any theories?

ps

the dvd5 versions just black screen

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use startpatch or preloader to disable the diagnostic disc check from the recovery menu.

Or you could just use BootMii/boot2 or Preloader as recovery tools. Both are far more flexible means of protecting your Wii from trouble. Autobooting TP back in the day was good since it was the best we had, but times have changed.

nutta_nic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
FenrirWolf said:
Use startpatch or preloader to disable the diagnostic disc check from the recovery menu.

Or you could just use BootMii/boot2 or Preloader as recovery tools. Both are far more flexible means of protecting your Wii from trouble. Autobooting TP back in the day was good since it was the best we had, but times have changed.

yeh but i'm thinking about non softmodded wiis that have bricked, with out preloader or bootmii or any other hacks

nehe32

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
nutta_nic said:
or any other hacks

then..how would they brick in the first place?
if there is no softmod, they cant do an out-of-region update brick and if there are no 'other hacks' such as homebrew channel then they cant get a bad banner brick and screw with the system anyway.

I see your point, but it is just common sense for people to use the pre-cautions that are now available to them.

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nutta_nic said:
FenrirWolf said:

yeh but i'm thinking about non softmodded wiis that have bricked, with out preloader or bootmii or any other hacks

You can't autoboot discs on an unsoftmodded Wii as of firmware 3.3v2 and higher. Unless you have a chip, I suppose.

nutta_nic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
nehe32 said:
nutta_nic said:
or any other hacks

then..how would they brick in the first place?
if there is no softmod, they cant do an out-of-region update brick and if there are no 'other hacks' such as homebrew channel then they cant get a bad banner brick and screw with the system anyway.

I see your point, but it is just common sense for people to use the pre-cautions that are now available to them.

i've been trying to help a mod chip user who bricked from a vc from ninnty http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=177...p;#entry2226572
, unlikely i know but it does happen, and can modchip users not brick from out of region updates or do chips block this (not to clued up on my modchips)

either way is this not even worth looking at? it could be simple to do or near impossable, but surely any unbricking tool is good no mater how many other options there may be or how little it gets used

FenrirWolf said:
nutta_nic said:
QUOTE(FenrirWolf @ Sep 25 2009, 03:32 PM)

You can't autoboot discs on an unsoftmodded Wii as of firmware 3.3v2 and higher.

the dude in the other topic i've been vtrying to help got TP to boot on 4.0U or are you on about no modchip users

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No one can boot an "autoboot" disc on any unmodified Wii, regardless of menu, because "no one" has a legit (not burnt) autoboot disc. It has less that nothing to do with the menu, although how to get into recovery mode does CHANGE for certain versions.

vettacossx

Wii Theme Team Founder
Trophies
XP
Country
yup hes right you have to have starfallstarpatch at least...personally i am on 3.2U w/ starfall cioscorps and i do alot of flashing (themes and animated channel creations) and most of the users who have tried to make an animated channel with wadder know and can confirm preloader is all you really need (i have bootmii as an ios Only) and ive bricked countless times and recovered though as finrirwolf points out you dont need a modchip if your on 3.2 to autoboot a disk even from a bricked console infact ive ran twilight princess from the STARFALL menu (hold y on the gamecube pad till recovery pops up and then it will simply load even the ios249 patched disks with wadmanager and any other damn dol you like will load from starfall on 3.2

Cant starpatch do the same thing (not that you need to but if you feel the need to lol cant you iospatch the autoboot disk iso or incorprate it into smashbros with wiiscrubber? its likely possible i'll give you that...But the thing is its really not as user friendly of a way to go about brick protection as preloader it wouyld kinda be a step backwards ya know what i mean bro? anyways good luck and look into if starpatch lets you autoboot without a chip on 4.X because i can CONFIRM BEYOND ANY DOUBT (and post a damn vid if need be) that a softmodded 3.2 w/ starfall can autoboot Zelda Twilight hack with no problems at all and load whatever boot.elf i have in the root its just another protection (maybe even an un-needed outdated 1 but none the less)

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
noobwarrior7 said:
No one can boot an "autoboot" disc on any unmodified Wii, regardless of menu, because "no one" has a legit (not burnt) autoboot disc. It has less that nothing to do with the menu, although how to get into recovery mode does CHANGE for certain versions.

if i recall, a chipped wii on 3.2 and earlier can autoboot discs that have been changed to be autobootable since the trucha bug is naturally present in the console so the system accepts it. But then again, I could be remembering wrong.

Either way, that doesn't do a bit of good for this guy on 4.0 and no trucha bug, preloDer, or anything.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
trying ntsc copy to work on a pal machine is helpless... if pal one autoboots on a pal machine then your best bet is to contact the exploit author for the pal version of the exploit...

if ssbb has a protection for autoboot which I doubt... there is still a small chance to make it autoboot compatible...

nutta_nic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
noobwarrior7 said:

i know this, i am not an idiot, no offence intended, chipped users can boot any autoboot disk, is this not true?

WiiCrazy said:
trying ntsc copy to work on a pal machine is helpless... if pal one autoboots on a pal machine then your best bet is to contact the exploit author for the pal version of the exploit...

if ssbb has a protection for autoboot which I doubt...

dippy has autobooting pal and ntsc copy dvd9 the pal works but ntsc gives the same error,

QUOTE(WiiCrazy @ Sep 26 2009, 01:03 AM)
there is still a small chance to make it autoboot compatible...

this is what i'm hoping for,

this isnt for my benefit, it would just be usefull i thought,
i'm more of a ps3 man myself i just enjoy the reading about the wii scene

SaitoKojima

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, I'm sure that this thread is somewhat keeping in mind of my current Brick situation.

My Wii is "Banner bricked," as that's what it LOOKS like.

I don't have Homebrew Channel, Bootmii, Preloader, or anything of that stuff.

I only have WiiKey 1.9s, and my WiiKey CAN autoboot games that have been patched with Autobooting. Zelda TP works, and I also burned a copy of Tatsunoko VS Capcom with autoboot and it works, too.

However, as previously stated, Brawl USA shows a "Please Insert Super Smash Bros Brawl Game Disc" message when trying to autoboot the game, and even if I eject the Auto-patched game with a REAL game, I realize that after it does the Disc-Check, it turns off the DVD Drive motor so that it won't boot another disc. Probably some more security stuff.

So yeah, the idea that's being said is either one of the following:

-PAL Version of Smash Stack exploit

OR

-Patch for USA release Brawl that can break through Disc Check WITHOUT using Bootmii or any of that stuff.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
This would be totally useless, if you have a modchip and are able to autoboot any patched game, you can just autoboot a WAD Manager or LoadMii disc.

SaitoKojima

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No, they don't Autoboot because they are catagorized as GameCube discs.

The Autoboot only works for Wii branded games, not GameCube.

Least, that's how it is for my case.

So no, this is NOT a useless idea.

Dippy1981

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You can't "just autoboot a WAD Manager or LoadMii disc" if you don't have the Trucha bug on your system.

The whole point of this thread (correct me if I'm wrong nutta_nic) is to see if there's some way of removing the NTSC SSBB autoboot check protection so that Smashstack can be used with it as an unbricking tool.

For systems without the Trucha bug (allowing you to boot modified games) and with no protection through Bootmii, Preloader, or similar software, there is currently no way of unbricking unless you can use a method which doesn't require the use of the System Menu.

Smashstack is such a method, but it has only been released for NTSC copies. If the NTSC copy of SSBB allowed autobooting, it could be used as an unbricking tool. The Trucha bug is not required for systems to autoboot games.

However, it does not allowing autobooting, and so the the only two options remaining are as SaitoKojima said:

-Waiting for a PAL version of Smashstack
-Removing the autobooting check on NTSC SSBB

Does anyone have any thoughts/news on either of these two?

Dippy1981

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Because Indiana Pwns relies on the System Menu being accessed to transfer the saved game file. If you can't access the System Menu due to a brick of some sort, then you can't use the Indiana Pwns exploit.

Smashstack does not rely on the System Menu, and so would be a great unbricking tool if the NTSC version of SSBB could autoboot, or if a PAL version is ever released (since the PAL version of SSBB does allow autobooting).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo