Gaming SSBB backup issues not Wiikey issue

jabolfan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have read A LOT of threads refering to the Wiikey as being the issue and that a firmware update is needed.
This is absoloutely not the truth.
Here is the tale of my journey through the whole mess.
I have 4 Pioneer burners, 2 Samsung burners, 2 Sony burners, 1 Plextor burner and 2 Memorex burner. (Just to clarify 1 of the Sony and 1 of the Memorex burners were Samsung and theothers were NEC).
Here's my expensive and sorrid tale.
After reading everything about the Wiikey and how it does not work with SSBB due to the DL issue, I started to test various scieniros with 4 diffrent type of DVD-R DL media types. (More on tha to follow)
My test bed:
Windows Xp Professional SP2
IMgBurn 2.0 and 2.4 (Both the same but some in the forum indicates that one was better then the other)
Rawdump 2.1
Fridump 4.0

OK so here's what worked and I'll share what I did to get to this point
1- fridump 4.0 to dump the image
2- Pioneer DVR-1910LS burner
3- IMGBurn (2.0 or 2.4 so I presume any version will work, but that is what I used)

I dumped the disk ( 8,511,160,320) using fridump4.0
Rawdump 2.1 kept giving me a faulty error so I presume (many on diffrent forums also said the same thing) it does not work.
I burned the image on the lowest speed (1.0), break layer set at 2084960, bookmark type at DVD-ROM (Default by hey set it anyway to give yourself the warm and fuzzy)
I used Verbatim DVD+R DL RW, yes RW not the regular DVD+ DL which has always work for me no matter what the platform it was. It was also less expensive then the regular DVD+R DL; I got mine at MicroCenter.

Now this is my experience only, but I did do what I belive some extensive testing to weed out some X factors.

Here's the summayof what I did.

Using any of the older drives (1 year and older, not the Pioneer DVR-1910LS)
My burns were always recognized but always gave me a problem when it tried to play something from layer 1 (movies)
I came to this conclusing after 10 diffrent burns using various drive combinations and media types and the only one that resulted in any success was using the Samsung SH-162L, Verbatium DVD+R DL with IMGBurn (2.0 and 2.4, same results). I was able to load the game and when it started to play theopening scene (Layer 1) it would always give me a DRE. I was able to get around that by hiting the "A' and/or the "1" and "2" button in rapid session so that he movie never had a chance to start. When I did this I was able to play the game in both single and multi mode. (Presuming that I always bypassed the movies [same method as before])

The issue I had was why did some not work at all (Always a DRE once it started to load) while the better media always got me further and got me consistent loading.

So I went and bought the RW version of the Verbatim DVD+R DL just as a "What the hell" purchase. I had very little confidence that it would work as most RW media never works well at all.

I also bought the Pioneer at the same time and installed it for this trial.

My results were suprising to say the least.
The Pioneer using the a layer break at 2084960, IMGBurn (2.0 and 2.4) burnig at 1.0 using the Verbatim DVD+R DL RW gave me consistent results of good burns (3 good burns on 2 consoles both at 1.9G and 3.2U(E?) Whatever the SSBB update is)

My conclusion (4 days, 20 burns, a new DVD burner various media types and many threads read) is that the problem with SSBB is not the Wiikey but the media and possibly the burner. (I had one DRE using the Samsung but could not replicate)

Conclusion:
Using the DVD+R DL RW media, burning at 1.0x speed and usnig whatever IMGBurm with LB of 2084960 works (For me)
The issue is not the Wiikey firmware it is a media issue. Spend some money and get better media for the DL burns.
(I use cheap Memorex for the regular SL games)

Hope this saves someone some pulled out hair and sleepless nights.

Jdbye

Always Remember 30/07/08
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It's strange that the +R didn't work well but the +RW did.
Check on the disc cover of the +R, does it say Made in Singapore? If it says Made in India, it's the crappy version, and if that's the case, no wonder the +RW worked better (assuming the +RW is made in Singapore, that is)

jabolfan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
legendofninny said:
yeah dude you just wasted a lot of time typing a big text like that.
the only problem is with orginals, burned ones work fine. wiikey needs an update to be able to play the orginal game

If you read this forum (and many others) there are various things that work and do not work about the Wiikey and backups.
I am simply letting you guys know what I have done and what has worked for me.
Not all burned media will work as I can give you all my test copies for you to verify.
I would even go so far as to say that perhaps there is a laser issue that needs to be accouted for with regards to media.
I would hope that my time has not been wasted in this testing for the benefit of everyone on this forum, but I'll leave that to the people who read this post.
This is my experience (as many on this forum are also sharing and where I got ideas formuch of my testing vectors) so take from it what you will.
I only hope I have helped one other person reading this so they can get their backup running.
If you feel you wasted your time, don't know what to say as I have read many "wasted" posts only to get some facts here and there.
Guess if everyone "wasted" their time with their results then not many posts would be worth anyone's time.

jabolfan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jdbye said:
It's strange that the +R didn't work well but the +RW did.
Check on the disc cover of the +R, does it say Made in Singapore? If it says Made in India, it's the crappy version, and if that's the case, no wonder the +RW worked better (assuming the +RW is made in Singapore, that is)

Sorry friend there does not seem to be much on the cover or the disk to indicate country of origin.
What I got was UPC number 023942351667 Verbatim part number 95166 (DVD+R DL RW 10 pack)

indokid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmm
backup ssbb has been working on wiikey for a long time, i burnt 2 copies of ssbb(jap) on unbranded cheap dual-layer dvds and they work

the issue is, like many ppl have mentioned, is the original ssbb not working on wiikey

jabolfan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
indokid said:
hmm
backup ssbb has been working on wiikey for a long time, i burnt 2 copies of ssbb(jap) on unbranded cheap dual-layer dvds and they work

the issue is, like many ppl have mentioned, is the original ssbb not working on wiikey

Not sure if it makes a diffrence but I am dealing with the Ntsc-US version of SSBB.
The original does not work but my backup does without flaw.

woytek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, thanks for your testing! I'm sure it's helpful to most people. I keep getting read errors when it's loading the intro too! I guess it's my media or burner. I use a pioneer 112D in combination with Verbatim DVD+R DL burned with Imgburn. However the verbatim dó state 'made in India' on the cover
frown.gif
. I didn't knew that could be a problem.

Anyone got it working fine with india disks?

legendofninny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
jabolfan said:
legendofninny said:
yeah dude you just wasted a lot of time typing a big text like that.
the only problem is with orginals, burned ones work fine. wiikey needs an update to be able to play the orginal game

If you read this forum (and many others) there are various things that work and do not work about the Wiikey and backups.
I am simply letting you guys know what I have done and what has worked for me.
Not all burned media will work as I can give you all my test copies for you to verify.
I would even go so far as to say that perhaps there is a laser issue that needs to be accouted for with regards to media.
I would hope that my time has not been wasted in this testing for the benefit of everyone on this forum, but I'll leave that to the people who read this post.
This is my experience (as many on this forum are also sharing and where I got ideas formuch of my testing vectors) so take from it what you will.
I only hope I have helped one other person reading this so they can get their backup running.
If you feel you wasted your time, don't know what to say as I have read many "wasted" posts only to get some facts here and there.
Guess if everyone "wasted" their time with their results then not many posts would be worth anyone's time.
if you look at it that way ok.
it will help poeple choose what to buy.
it is just that the topic name is not totaly correct, hust like the first poster said(rhyguy)

nysid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
OMG i didn't know that DL RW is even exist, coz there's is not single info on verbatim website about it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1