Squeeze some more space in my SD Card?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Eski, Apr 13, 2010.

Apr 13, 2010
  1. Eski
    OP

Member Eski GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hi, I currently have an 8GB card which has around 7.3 GB of space in it.

I'm trying to fit in something that's 7.6 GB (compressed if you're wondering), and I'm wondering if I can squeeze it into my SD card.

If this is the wrong forum, then I'm sorry.

2. Dangy

Member Dangy Twisting Your Mind & Smashing Your Dreams

United States
    Short answer, no.

Long answer, yes if you compress it more.

3. BlackDave

Member BlackDave Official GBATemp "Cleanup Guy"

United States
    I'm wondering how could you compress it more?

What type of file is it?

I remember following this guide on how to almost double the capacity of a memory card. I ended up shortening it [​IMG]

4. moose3

Member moose3 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If it was compressed as .zip, that can always be re compressed by 7zip or winrar formats and choose maximum compression. If it was something like PS1 games or other CD iso's, I remember there was some program that did something with the iso images, ECM Tools, something to do with the audio tracks I think to shrink them down. you would just need to reverse the process before playing.

5. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    What you're referring to is hardware compression, which is never recommended (especially with an already compressed file) because of the high chances of data corruption.

Compressing and recompressing (as mentioned) is a good method of shaving off a few MB, but don't expect miracles. There are some high compression algorithms used in certain programs that can shave off even more space, but they take hours to compress/decompress.

Scrubbing media files (shortening music/videos or even cutting them out altogether) is another great way of making things smaller, but I don't like it - it's detracting from the value of the full game (assuming it is one)/

I think the best thing you can do is just to split it into multiple files and find another flash stick, memory card or alternative to hold it. Have, say, 7GB on one flash stick, then the rest on anything else you can find.