Spirit Tracks Review

Discussion in 'GBAtemp Reviews & Guides' started by HorseBox, Jun 29, 2010.

Jun 29, 2010

Spirit Tracks Review by HorseBox at 3:20 AM (1,364 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. HorseBox
    OP

Newcomer HorseBox Advanced Member

Australia
    The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
    Nintendo DS
    Review by HorseBox

At first, I wasn’t really excited about this game. I had finished Phantom Hourglass and thought it was a good game, however some parts of Phantom Hourglass were annoying (such as re-entering the Temple of the Ocean King).
    The reason why I wasn’t really excited about the game was because of the concept of the train. I thought that it would be strange to be driving a train in a Zelda game. For me, I was ok with the concept steering a ship in Phantom Hourglass. Probably because they had already had ships in the wind waker. When I bought my R4, it came with some pre-loaded games and Spirit Tracks was one of them. I played for a bit but didn’t get far as the rom had anti-piracy that prevented me from driving the train. From this first 5 minutes of game play, I found the game very similar to Phantom Hourglass. Also I didn’t like Link's train driver outfit AT ALL. I decided to find the anti-piracy patch and give the game another chance.

Spirit Tracks will be an easy game for anyone who has already played Phantom Hourglass. You move around the same, you draw paths on a map ect. I’m not saying this is a bad thing though. Driving the train is pretty simple, you just control the speed, horn, and which path the train takes. Animals such as bulls and spiders will run onto the track and you will use the horn to scare them away. (There may be an upgrade like the canon in Phantom Hourglass but I haven’t progressed far enough to find it). The first place you need to go to is Hyrule castle to meet Zelda. I’ll just add here that I think it was a great idea to set the game around Hyrule castle and also feature Zelda in the game. Personally I was glad to see Zelda in the game rather than Tetra. I will try not to spoil any of the story for you but you may have already have guessed that Zelda accompanies you in this game. However as she is in ghost form, she acts as a fairy to you (like Ciela in Phantom Hourglass or Navi in Ocarina of Time.) The game also gives you a chance of controlling two characters! You can do this by condoling Link normally and another character by drawing a path for them on the touch screen. You can also ask them to follow you or just stand still. After some play time you will find that Zelda can take the form of a phantom. While Zelda is in phantom form, Link can hop on top of the phantom and can cross lava. The phantom is also fireproof, so you can use the phantom to block a jet of lava so Link can walk across. As I said before, I wasn’t really a fan of re-entering the Ocean Temple over and over again. In Spirit Tracks, the Tower of Spirits will act the same way as the Ocean Temple did, but you will not have to repeat the same floors over and over. You'll find that the Tower of Spirits is full of Phantoms (like the Ocean Temple). There’s also no time limit to how long you can be inside the Tower of Spirits. You’ll also find that the 'safe zones' (not sure of the real name) are back again.

I won’t go into depth with all the items you can get, but an important item is the Spirit Flute. If you’re like me, you probably guessed that this will be used to play songs that will trigger something to happen (like the Ocarina in Ocarina of Time). You play the Spirit Flute by blowing into the microphone and sliding the pipes along to change notes on the bottom screen. Actually now that I think about it there is a lot of 'blowing' involved in this game. Anyway the songs you will have to play on the flute are not difficult as there is only 2 or 3 notes per song (there may be more later in the game). Some of the events that will be triggered by playing the flute are the Song of Healing that will summon a fairy that will replenish your hearts and the Song of Awakening that will allow you to talk to stone statues that will tell you how many treasure chests are left in the dungeon. Although I’m not a fan of blowing in the microphone, I like the inclusion of the Spirit flute because it reminds me of Ocarina of Time.

Some of the enemies in this game are also in Phantom Hourglass, but it is good to see that there are many new enemies and new ways to defeat them. Also, the bosses that I have fought so far have been impressive but I still find the bosses very easy to defeat. On another note I was happy to find that Spirit Tracks still has those 'Defeat all the enemies in the room' rooms that should remind you of the very first Zelda game. Good stuff [​IMG]

So I'd like to end this review saying that Spirit Tracks is actually a great game and anyone who hasn’t played it yet should download. (I would even recommend buying the game, it’s worth the money!) There are not many things I can fault this game for. However if I was too be really picky I would have to say that driving the train is a bit long and boring, and it’s difficult to stop at the stations. Most people will probably enjoy driving the train though, this is just my opinion. Also game play is very similar to Phantom Hourglass so I would have to say if you enjoyed Phantom Hourglass then you will enjoy Spirit Tracks and vice-versa. So overall I would have to give this game a 9.5/10.It’s a must for anyone who owns a DS, and I would definitely recommend it over Phantom Hourglass.

I hope you enjoyed my review and I appreciate and positive AND negative comments you have about the review. If you enjoyed this I may do more in the future!
    [​IMG] - HB

2. monkat

Banned monkat I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.

United States
    Use bombs wisely!

3. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    When posting a review, try to post it in the Magazine Reviews section, just a FYI. Don't worry though, a mod will probably be moving this anyway.

I played it and reviewed it (you can dig up my review in my links if you want) and I just found it bland. From boring dungeons to lackluster control schemes, it failed to succeed against past handheld Zelda greats like Oracle of Ages/Seasons or Minish Cap or go up against great console ones like Twilight Princess or Wind Waker. It was just stuck in an uncomfortable limbo between trying to be a handheld game and trying to be a console game, much like Hourglass. And the "let's make it more accessible" part here wasn't all that good. Touch controls sucked and the mic parts... Don't even get me started.

4. DeltaBurnt

Member DeltaBurnt I'm bored

United States
    The only part I really hated were the songs.

5. HorseBox
    OP

Newcomer HorseBox Advanced Member

Australia
    i read your review. thought u were a bit harsh on the game but i would have to agree that nintendo should stop the whole 'blow into the microphone' thing. maybe they could of had a Spirit Xylophone instead?? [​IMG]

6. Njrg

Banned Njrg Kinsoku Jikou Desu. ^.~

United States
    Try a somersault!

7. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    spirit tracks is very black or white, you either love it or you hate it. i for one loved it, the spirit flute being some of the best parts in my opinion.