Hardware SPICY: Wii-U Hardware Specs Explained ?

Valwin

The Neautral Gamer
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

In light of all the madness, Review Tech USA has posted a video comparing the XBox 360 and Playstation 3's hardware specifications to the speculated Wii U hardware specifications (remember these speculations are based on actual leaked information and are not random guesses).

The review is highly technical for anyone not familar with the jargon, but it does clear up a lot of things for those who are confused on this whole issue:

Source

Reactions: 6 people

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you post this after seeing the link in the shoutbox? I was going to post it but felt that we should just be done with these sort of threads until hard facts are shown.

It does make more sense than devs saying Wii U is/isn't powerful HOWEVER

"these speculations are based on actual leaked information and are not random guesses"

Based on "leaked information"...as much sense as it does make, I'd rather just go by the hard facts when they come up after E3. I really doubt Nintendo will say anything about specs during the show but they would give the press full facts/

Valwin

The Neautral Gamer
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you post this after seeing the link in the shoutbox? I was going to post it but felt that we should just be done with these sort of threads until hard facts are shown.

It does make more sense than devs saying Wii U is/isn't powerful HOWEVER

"these speculations are based on actual leaked information and are not random guesses"

Based on "leaked information"...as much sense as it does make, I'd rather just go by the hard facts when they come up after E3. I really doubt Nintendo will say anything about specs during the show but they would give the press full facts/
yea

Reactions: 1 person

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Ah, I figured this would get posted.

He didn't even need to compare these two. Nobody actually knows for sure what kind of GPU the Wii U is using. And even if we did have a definite model number to compare it to, it would be inaccurate. Nintendo and AMD will have put a whole lot of R&D into this chip, and the result will be completely different from an off the shelf model by the time they're done.

The point is that this 6 year old hardware is so pathetic in 2012 that whatever Nintendo uses, it WILL end up outclassing it significantly. The question is: by how much?

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Its been commented on by many others that the difference with this gen and the next will be very minor. Like with high end PC's you see a difference compared to consoles but its not that big in my opinion.
That sentiment has been brought about by the fact that PS3 games, to the average Joe, look about as good as PC games. Thus, people are saying that graphical hardware has hit a wall and cannot improve.

This is shit wrong. Current console games look like shit compared to PC if you actually care. Sub 720p resolution (I hope you didn't listen to their advertisements,) no-AA no-filtering, inferior lighting, low quality textures and much lower poly counts.

YOU might not be able to tell the difference. But it'll be there.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its been commented on by many others that the difference with this gen and the next will be very minor. Like with high end PC's you see a difference compared to consoles but its not that big in my opinion.
That sentiment has been brought about by the fact that PS3 games, to the average Joe, look about as good as PC games. Thus, people are saying that graphical hardware has hit a wall and cannot improve.

This is shit wrong. Current console games look like shit compared to PC if you actually care. Sub 720p resolution (I hope you didn't listen to their advertisements,) no-AA no-filtering, inferior lighting, low quality textures and much lower poly counts.

YOU might not be able to tell the difference. But it'll be there.
Well the PS3 just never looks that great anyway, most look downright bad. I always thought it was a developer problem due to it being a complicated platform to develop for or whatever (I really don't know I just go by what I see). Regardless to me PC is not a massive difference though, I have my games on highest settings and yeah going directly back to a console you notice them but its hardly N64 to GC/PSX-PS2.

D

Deleted_171835

Well we can't really gauge the console's GPU performance by comparing PC GPUs. All we know is that it's a chip similar to the R770, not that it's exactly a 4870. It could be a 4830, one of the lower-end models. Although even if it is using that, it would still be more powerful than PS3/360 at 736 GFLOPS.

It should be clear that the Wii U will be more powerful than the PS3/360. Most people seem to think that the PS3/360 are still powerful pieces of hardware. They may have been in 2005 but they simply aren't anymore.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    A @ anotherthing: The Nintendo servers are going down in 9 days anyway.