Hacking [Speed comparison] in loading time between different SD Card classes

frankGT

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
and the USB 2.0 speed is about 35 MB/s so not a huge difference in loading time

Usb 2.0 has a 480Mbits/s standard, wich is 60Mbytes/s.
In practice devices tend to cap around 45Mb/s in this port.

Fom my experience with wiiU discs, the laser doens't move like its fetching hundreds and hundreds of files... I would assume data in the discs is aranged to be loaded.
Current SD speeds can be compared to the disc drive in sequencial reading, but cant be compared in random readings due to the nature of the data allocation (thousands of extracted files outside the system).

I thinks theres going to allways be an hadicap in speed unless using an SSD drive through USB wich compensates for the IOPS needed.

Last edited by frankGT,

duke_srg

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
.I thinks theres going to allways be an hadicap in speed unless using an SSD drive through USB wich compensates for the IOPS needed.
Files on the optical disk are always contiguous. The only optimisation could be made in time of original disc image production is to place several files in a sequence they actually read. Random access your n OSD are extremely slow, even slower than in HDD. It can't handle random read with high speed.
Assuming were writing on SD with clran FAT, we have the same contiguous files, with the only difference that we have to read and parse FAT anyway, instead of the OSD image TOC. Having big impact on performance with increasing cluster size, and small but noticeable impact with increasing SD card speed class points that only thing we can significantly improve is FAT access overhead.

jerzmob

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So would I be fine getting a class 10 512GB micro sdhc with the adapter? I am buying an aftermarket brand so I get what I pay for.

Deleted member 370671

Ball of Kawaiiness
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
So would I be fine getting a class 10 512GB micro sdhc with the adapter? I am buying an aftermarket brand so I get what I pay for.
Well, except if you made a mistake, I wouldn't buy that, since 512GB micro SD cards doesn't exist at the moment (afaik, the max is 200GB), and even if it was a thing, it would be SDXC by default. And if it's 512MB and not 512GB, not only you won't be able to fit any Wii U game on it, but it would be a classic SD format. So it's probably a scam.

memomo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, except if you made a mistake, I wouldn't buy that, since 512GB micro SD cards doesn't exist at the moment (afaik, the max is 200GB), and even if it was a thing, it would be SDXC by default. And if it's 512MB and not 512GB, not only you won't be able to fit any Wii U game on it, but it would be a classic SD format. So it's probably a scam.

Yes there isn't 512gb MICRO SD card
But there is a regular size 512 gb SD card

jerzmob

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
great thanks for this info. These 512gb cards are also showing up on amazon. This is nuts. BTW I am referring to microsd. Didn't even know there was a regular 512gb SD card. Would a regular SD affect the loading speed?

Last edited by jerzmob,

memomo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
great thanks for this info. These 512gb cards are also showing up on amazon. This is nuts. BTW I am referring to microsd. Didn't even know there was a regular 512gb SD card. Would a regular SD affect the loading speed?

No, but it's usually cheaper than micro SD

Wiiunator

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
@memomo, since I saw you've asked on another thread about loading time of "The wonderful 101" with loadiine gx2, I did a little test today with my transcend UHS 3 64gb SD card formatted at 64k cluster. The wonderful 101 (with the japan language deleted from the content folder) loaded in 17min... so it's still terrible loading time unfortunately... I haven't experimented with messing around with the content files.. maybe there is a trick like Fast Racing Neo which could make it load faster... FYI Super Mario 3d loaded in 57sec.. if anyone has a trick which could make this game load faster, please share!

Reactions: memomo

memomo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
@memomo, since I saw you've asked on another thread about loading time of "The wonderful 101" with loadiine gx2, I did a little test today with my transcend UHS 3 64gb SD card formatted at 64k cluster. The wonderful 101 (with the japan language deleted from the content folder) loaded in 17min... so it's still terrible loading time unfortunately... I haven't experimented with messing around with the content files.. maybe there is a trick like Fast Racing Neo which could make it load faster... FYI Super Mario 3d loaded in 57sec.. if anyone has a trick which could make this game load faster, please share!

57sec with 64K cluster ? Or 32k ?

Wiiunator

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Somone said in the other thread it was around 35sec for him with 64K, weird !
yes I saw that.. I was quite surprised by those numbers. Certain card might perform better with 64k cluster formatting, or he/she might have exaggerated the numbers a bit... only way to find out would be to for another user with the exact same card to do a test and report back

FunThomas

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
in https://gbatemp.net/threads/loadiine-gx2.413823/page-47#post-6089278
@CableLeecher reported that:

On a SanDisk Extreme UHS-1 it boots Super Mario 3D World in about 25 seconds instead of 1,5 minutes with 32k clusters. tested on 2 identical cards

and
i have tested my sd card (Komputerbay 128GB SDXC UHS-I 600X) with standard 32k clusters and i have 52sec from pressing to the titlescreen with sound (when he says super mario...)

dont tried the 64k method because somewhere i read a post on one game was not working maybe because of the big clusters, but thats not confirmed

CableLeecher

640K ought to be enough for anyone
Trophies
EARTH | SOL-SYSTEM | SECTOR 001 | ALPHA QUADRANT
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I had a typo and mixed up the cluster numbers. It's 35 secs on the SanDisk Extreme with 64k Clusters. 128k Clusters won't give you anymore improvement. Indeed I noticed that the SanDisk Extreme cards perform much better than other vendors cards with the same specs when formatted with 64k clusters instead of 32k or even worse 4k when formatted with standard options. by the way I also noticed a huge speed improvement if the card is lowlevel formatted before I put stuff on it. I have no clue why it behaves like this. on my MacPro it doesn't matter if lowlevel or standard, neither on the Windows 10 machine.

Quick greets from work.

Talk toyou guys later tonight when I'm back from work.

FunThomas

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
when you make low level format the structure of the file system will be full new rebuild -> there is no fragmentation

when you use as an example an usb stick for a while and check speed before using and after some weeks -> you will see a loss in speed
if your low level format it the speed will be full as in the beginning

in ssd they use the trim command to keep the speed over the time but its not used for usb-sticks or sd cards as i know
for a hard disk would help defrag but because of the wear leveling the sd-cards/ssd/usbsticks use i think a low-level format would help more than a defrag on sdxc

Wiiunator

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I had a typo and mixed up the cluster numbers. It's 35 secs on the SanDisk Extreme with 64k Clusters. 128k Clusters won't give you anymore improvement. Indeed I noticed that the SanDisk Extreme cards perform much better than other vendors cards with the same specs when formatted with 64k clusters instead of 32k or even worse 4k when formatted with standard options. by the way I also noticed a huge speed improvement if the card is lowlevel formatted before I put stuff on it. I have no clue why it behaves like this. on my MacPro it doesn't matter if lowlevel or standard, neither on the Windows 10 machine.

Quick greets from work.

Talk toyou guys later tonight when I'm back from work.
That's really interesting... yes I've noticed that low level formatting make a big difference. Also adding all the games you want at once (instead of one by one over time) seems to create less fragmentation which improves performance. good to know about that scandisk extreme card, i mean it's pretty much twice as fast as my card which has the same specs...! do you mind posting a link to the exact card you are talking about? there are quite a few different extreme models out there. thanks!

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This subject has been discussed in multiple thread in the past.. but here is what I know:

1) The WiiU has a SD/SDHC (not SDXC) slot which is not compatible with SDXC.. however SDXC cards will work if formatted in FAT32 (which is the SDHC standard of formatting)
2) The WiiU SD slot has a maximum speed read of 25 mb/s since its runs version 2 of Sd specification which utilise a High speed bus https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital#SDHC
3) The SD slot was made available on the WiiU only for vWii compatibility and was not meant to be used in WiiU mode.. so they didn't build it for speed
4) For speed performance with games that have a lot of small files, the important specs to look at on your card is "Random 4K read/write"... read and write advertised on SD card presented by the OP shows the maximum speed of the card... most likely speeds transferring files that are much bigger that 4k, that's why there isn't much difference between the real life speed of the 2 cards on game loading
5) has a general consensus Class 10 SD card is all you need for the WiiU, USH3 is overkill (unless the random 4k specs are awesome..)
6) there has been noticeable speed difference when formatting the sd card with different cluster size. 64K seems to be the fastest but some games have compatibility issues, second best is 32K cluster which is still fast but no compatibility issues reported that I know of.

Hope this help...

This should be stickied!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp +1