SPECULATION: The Switch will NOT have a touch screen.

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by Jacklack3, Oct 22, 2016.

1. TehCupcakes

TehCupcakes GBAtemp Fan

Apr 5, 2013
    United States
    I didn't really understand your reasoning, but I also doubt it will have a touchscreen. Not only because they did not show it all in the video, but because the tablet is docked during home use. The Wii U was able to have a touchscreen because it was designed for you to always have the gamepad in hand. Because the Switch is intended to be docked, it would not make sense to require a touchscreen at any point, because this would force the user into taking the system out of the dock and losing their feed to the TV. That doesn't make any sense for a home console.

If there is any sort of touchscreen, it absolutely can never be a requirement in any game. That would make the game incompatible for docked use. And given that... There really is no reason to add a touchscreen at all if it's not intended to be utilized. They already tried that with the Wii U, which was designed to be played with two screens, and those features were grossly underutilized.

Jacklack3 likes this.
  2. Jacklack3
    OP

Jacklack3 ( ゚ヮ゚) buddie was here

Oct 6, 2015
    Canada
    In your basement Dick Size: 5 meters.
    This is exactly what i said. It would just make a gimmick and would ruin the the whole "There's only one gimmick and it doesn't suck." part.

3. LiveLatios

LiveLatios Profesionnal Scalie

Nov 16, 2015
    Canada
    why
    Inb4 the controller acts as a wiimote to replace touchscreen functionality

Jacklack3 likes this.
  4. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Succubus™ Waifu material

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Hiding from Area 51 guards
    Eh, it seems like less and less games are using the touch screen nowadays. It was a cool feature, but once the novelty wore off, it just stopped being that interesting.

Jacklack3 likes this.
  5. LiveLatios

Nov 16, 2015
    Canada
    why
    tell that to the android/iphone market

6. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Expect even those people are often looking for some physical controls to use. Just look at how many controllers are made for smartphones.

7. LiveLatios

Nov 16, 2015
    Canada
    why
    A lot of the apps don't support external controls, and need an external mapping app like joy to touch or that nvidis one the shield uses

8. baselhamad

baselhamad "F*CK israel", Free Free Palestine #فلسطيني_وأفتخر

Mar 27, 2016
    United States
    Bethlehem, West Bank. Palestine
    guys, just wait till it release, i believe that it WILL have a touch screen, and another version of the product not protype

9. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    The fact that there is a market for external controllers for smartphones is proof enough that there is a big enough demand for it.
    Regardless, this argument doesn't relate to my previous statement. Games on Nintendo products have slowly started to move away from motion controls and touchscreen support. Most games on the 3DS and Wii U really only use the second screen for things like maps or basic inventory control. They've slowly stopped using it as a major game mechanic.
    Plus this is speculation and the system hasn't even been completely revealed.

10. specht

specht GBAtemp Regular

Oct 26, 2008
    Canada
    That still doesn't mean there couldn't be small mobile-like games that just wouldn't make sense to play in console mode. Or that they couldn't also be controlled with a controller. It's just not essential which is why I personally believe they didn't showcase it in the reveal. They focused on the dedicated game console aspect of the device rather than relating it to traditional mobile devices. When they said they were holding back on info so competitors wouldn't steal their ideas I don't believe they were talking about Sony or Microsoft, but more on the lines of Apple and Samsung.

But of course that's my opinion and we'll all learn the truth in the coming months.

11. Tigran

Tigran GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    People.. If skylanders Superchargers can be played with touch screen controls, pretty damn sure most can in case either joycon gives out, or people just didn't want to pack it.

Also, may I point out that DeNA is one of the developers, so games like Mario Run may be playable without need of a controller.

12. Condarkness

Condarkness GBAtemp Regular

Nov 9, 2008
    United States
    I agree with the part about not being a requirement in any game. But if they did have a touchscreen couldn't they make so that when the NS is docked it would disable the screen and then only communicate via joy con or controller or something?

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted