Specific help with Homebrew Channel needed

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by AlexMoron, Nov 29, 2008.

Nov 29, 2008
  1. AlexMoron
    OP

Newcomer AlexMoron Advanced Member

United States
    I'll start with what I want to do.

I have two Wiis here. One that has craploads of bought VC games and used frequently (Wii A) and one that barely has any with Homebrew Channel on it (Wii B). I have an Animal Crossing: City Folk save that I would like to transfer over from Wii A to Wii B. I haven't installed the Homebrew Channel on Wii A due to fear of Nintendo blocking my Shop Channel account by finding out or whatever as I've spent a lot already. I want to be able to install Homebrew Channel with no real hindering of my system or risk of screwing it up (majorly at least).

I've read through here a lot about something called Save Extracter / Installer. That seems to be what I need, but I want to go through this process with the knowledge of knowing what to do without screwing it up. A week of hard work in Animal Crossing is a pain to recover and I don't want to risk losing it.

What do I need to make this possible? What process should I go through? Do I need to update anything on Wii B? I'll ask further questions when I can get something set up and established with what I need.

Thanks for any help. [​IMG]

2. Zeek03

Member Zeek03 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Save Extracter?! Umm... No...

You can use GeckoOS though. It is made for reigion free for everything, but it has a cool feature that allows you to copy saves over.

Wii A: Ok... You'll need SOME way to run Homebrew on it. either by doing the Twilight or installing the HBC. Run GeckoOS (google it) by TP hack or HBC, then once on the menu, press "B" on the Wiimote. It will now be rebooted with hacks. Go to your Save menu in the wii and copy your Animal Crossing save over to your SD card. Once you turn this Wii of, the hacks go away.

Wii B: Run GeckoOS 1.7 with The HBC, and once on the menu, hit "B" on your Wiimote.
    This Wii will now reboot with hacks too. All you need to do now is Copy your save from the SD card.

...And you're done...

3. AlexMoron
    OP

United States
    Much thanks. I have a few more points though that need answering.

On Wii A, I would like to install HBC in general, I just don't know how to do it without it screwing up any of my channels. I say this because I've read some stuff about people being locked out of their weather or shop channels. Wii A still has 3.3U on it so I could install HBC, but again, I'm just paranoid and want to do a safe install without it screwing up my Wii (for the reasons I stated in my first post).

As for the actual process, I'm guessing all it does is temporarily halts the blocking of save transferring for games such as AC:CF, SSBB, etc. If that's the case, I like this method. While a temporary solution is more time consuming, it's also a lot safer and is exactly what I'm looking for which is no permanent alteration to my Wii.

Last question (I guess those weren't questions). Will this edit or change my save in any way? I know it's kind of stupid to worry about this but being as OCD as I am, I wouldn't want anything taken out or put into my save files in the process.

Thanks again.

4. mikeyt1998

Member mikeyt1998 YouTube Glitcher

United Kingdom
    no. it will temporarily remove the copying limitations of the wii.

it wont do anything to the save.

5. Zeek03

United States
  6. AlexMoron
    OP

United States
    Well, I think that's all I need to know for now! Thanks again for being so helpful!

7. Zeek03

United States
    My Pleasure!

8. AlexMoron
    OP

United States
    Popping back in to get a couple more questions out.

First, how will this affect my friend code? Because the Wii Number is different, would it just refresh to another one when connecting online? Will I even be able to go online?

Second, why no Save Extractor / Installer? Mainly just curious about the reasons against this one.

9. Distrance

Member Distrance GBAtemp Fan

Finland
    Erm.. Can't you just copy the Animal Crossing savefile into SD card and then copy it from the SD card to the another Wii ?

10. AlexMoron
    OP

United States
    No, you can't. That's why I'm going through all these hoops to accomplish it.

11. AlexMoron
    OP

United States
    Can anyone help me out with the friend code thing? I'm sure people have done this with SSBB to see what happens.