Special Virtual Console games?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by GalladeGuy, Feb 29, 2016.

1. GalladeGuy
    OP

GalladeGuy Freeze Kirby :3

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    As most of you already know, some VC games have special features. Such as SMB3 being able to play 2-Player mode through Download Play and Pokemon RBY being able to trade and battle other 3DS's and connect to Pokebank. So, how does this games work? Is it a modified ROM? Or does it have to do with a special feature in the emulator itself? I'm asking this because my dad just got a 3DS and I want to play 2-player Contra with him, since it is one of my favorite NES games. Do you think it would be possible for me to inject Contra (or any other 2-player NES game) into a SMB3 VC or build my own with a special EXEFS? Thanks in advance.

AyanamiRei likes this.
  2. joseole99

joseole99 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2015
    United States
    These would be better in the rom hacks section. They are already looking into using Pokemon red blue yellow but it's gonna be harder than most think, probably. At least from what I read and understand.

3. GalladeGuy
    OP

GalladeGuy Freeze Kirby :3

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    I was afraid of that. :/
    I'm going to try dumping my VC SMB3 and a regular SMB3 ROM and comparing the code to see if there's some kind of special trigger. Maybe I can implement that into Contra somehow.

Games&Stuff likes this.
  4. joseole99

joseole99 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2015
    United States
    With the Pokemon games, all the patches for link trading are applied upon start up and apparently it's a pain. Can't remember who said it, check out Asia81 thread in rom hacking. They would explain more.

5. thatbooisaspy

thatbooisaspy GBAtemp Fan

Oct 28, 2015

Last edited by thatbooisaspy, Jun 3, 2017
  6. Bynniock

Bynniock Member

Newcomer
    Aug 20, 2015
    Belgium
    When it comes to NES, I'm pretty sure it's much simpler than that. So many NES games have the feature that I'd be surprised if they hacked the ROM every time.