Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
-insert muslim extremist sect-bashing post here-

in my opinion
QUOTE said:
We have to warn Matt and Trey that what they are doing is stupid and they will probably wind up like Theo van Gogh for airing this show. This is not a threat, but a warning of the reality that will likely happen to them.
that's a very broad statement.
That's like saying "That plumber's got a red handkerchief hanging out of his back left pocket in the middle of downtown detroit. That's not very smart and he'll probably end up like Tupac Shakur for doing that. That isn't a threat, just a warning of the reality that will likely happen to him"

I don't think they're specifically "extremist" for saying something like that, but it is indeed a poor choice of words and pretty tasteless of a thing for the editor to say.

the wishwashy language used in the statement makes him kinda sound like Serebii Joe, rofl it's just missing the "Until next time, See Ya" and the celebi

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
As soon as they mentioned Mohammed during the episode I turned to my mate and said that this would kick up a stink. I'll reserve judgment on whether this is real or not though until I actually see a fuss being kicked up. Islam is a very strange religion and the Middle East followers of Islam are very very zealous indeed. There is a huge difference between Western Muslims and Muslims that have been brought up in Islamic societies. In the same way that Western Muslims say that radicals don't understand the religion Muslims from Caliphates say that Western Muslims don't understand the religion.

The episode itself was genius though and made a great and very valid statement. I loved the way it not so subtly said "Only Islamists will respond to this". All I can say to Islamists is "Welcome to democracy, where everything is a target for parody and criticism"! I wouldn't be surprised if there were protests but nothing like the level that the Danish cartoons reached. Some of the Danish cartoons were designed specifically to offend though, whereas the South Park episode was more of a social commentary.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like others here, I'm Muslim, and I really do think that Muslims and Muslim extremists should be separated. Look at all the crazy Christian Extremists. Does anyone get mad about them? No. That's because they know that 95% of the other Christians are sane. However, as the Muslim Faith is rather in the dark in America's eyes, they tend to merge images of Muslims together, and we now have Muslims that are being hated upon by people everywhere. A perfect example is Pliskron.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
Like others here, I'm Muslim, and I really do think that Muslims and Muslim extremists should be separated. Look at all the crazy Christian Extremists. Does anyone get mad about them? No. That's because they know that 95% of the other Christians are sane. However, as the Muslim Faith is rather in the dark in America's eyes, they tend to merge images of Muslims together, and we now have Muslims that are being hated upon by people everywhere. A perfect example is Pliskron.

People get pissed about Christian extrmists all the time. I am one of them. Any religion in which people force you to believe in something without a valid explanation is wrong.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Slyakin said:

Ignore Pliskron, he's a thought slave to right wing propaganda. His opinion is similar to Islamists, it's a minority. And don't worry, people do get pissed off at any religious extremist. Have you heard of the Lords Resistance Army? A bunch of complete nutters in Africa. People get pissed off at the American ones as well. You know the abortion clinic bombers etc.

You are spot on about saying that people really should learn to separate the various Muslims though. Personally I refer to the different types as either Western Muslims or Islamists. I define Islamists (like Wahabbi's) as those that follow the political ideology in the Qu'ran. Then there's the Western Muslims, I suppose you could also define these as Liberal Muslims. Liberal Muslims are the ones who believe in the message rather than the word. There is a huge difference between the two. Political Islamists are the dangerous ones in my opinion. Very few people actually go off and learn about the differences though.

It's the problem with society at the moment. People have become lazy. The prefer to get their information in soundbites and from propaganda designed by people with ulterior motives. They'd rather accept that something they are told is the truth (it's the way people have been trained for quite a while) than go off and find the information themselves. Pliskron is a very good example of this.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TrolleyDave said:
Slyakin said:

Ignore Pliskron, he's a thought slave to right wing propaganda. His opinion is similar to Islamists, it's a minority. And don't worry, people do get pissed off at any religious extremist. Have you heard of the Lords Resistance Army? A bunch of complete nutters in Africa. People get pissed off at the American ones as well. You know the abortion clinic bombers etc.

You are spot on about saying that people really should learn to separate the various Muslims though. Personally I refer to the different types as either Western Muslims or Islamists. I define Islamists (like Wahabbi's) as those that follow the political ideology in the Qu'ran. Then there's the Western Muslims, I suppose you could also define these as Liberal Muslims. Liberal Muslims are the ones who believe in the message rather than the word. There is a huge difference between the two. Political Islamists are the dangerous ones in my opinion. Very few people actually go off and learn about the differences though.

It's the problem with society at the moment. People have become lazy. The prefer to get their information in soundbites and from propaganda designed by people with ulterior motives. They'd rather accept that something they are told is the truth (it's the way people have been trained for quite a while) than go off and find the information themselves. Pliskron is a very good example of this.

tl;dr. just skimmed. give me the gist?
wink.gif

[/irony]

Really though, this all boils down to the fact that it's just fucking stupid to group people in any way, shape or form. Period.

If it's for humor's sake to point out how ignorant someone could be (see: Sarah Silverman. Like her or not, she's the epitome of the "What if i were really like this?" comedic style), that's one thing, but to honestly do it... that's proving you're one in the shallowest end of the gene pool.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
WildWon said:
tl;dr. just skimmed. give me the gist?
wink.gif

[/irony]

Really though, this all boils down to the fact that it's just fucking stupid to group people in any way, shape or form. Period.

If it's for humor's sake to point out how ignorant someone could be (see: Sarah Silverman. Like her or not, she's the epitome of the "What if i were really like this?" comedic style), that's one thing, but to honestly do it... that's proving you're one in the shallowest end of the gene pool.

rofl2.gif
Great opening sentence! And love Sarah Silverman, most people don't quite get her but I think she displays alot of genius with her style.

I have to admit that I do categorise people. I wouldn't say I stereotype, but categorisation is something I'm guilty of. Some people can be categorised though, specially when they follow a particular belief like political ideologies. I would never say "All x are y", but there are instances where you can say "All followers of x believe y" because they're following a doctrine. I am guilty of generalisng with the "society is becoming lazy" obviously, I probably could have put that alot better!

Kramzy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
they censored the word "muhammad" in the new episdoe and btw....scott ternoman's dad is cartman s dad, meaning cartman is half ginger:), tom cruise dies nad PIP DIES.

Fabis94

Xbawx playa
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
@Nadrian: South Park isn't retarded
tongue.gif

But yeah the terrorists are pretty fucking retarded if they threat a show for putting their god in it. I mean no one else is doing crazy shit like that (like no one went crazy like that because of Jesus EVEN GETTING KILLED ONCE IN SOUTH PARK).

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Fabis94 said:
But yeah the terrorists are pretty fucking retarded if they threat a show for putting their god in it. I mean no one else is doing crazy shit like that (like no one went crazy like that because of Jesus EVEN GETTING KILLED ONCE IN SOUTH PARK).

Mohommed ain't even their God mate. He was just a regular old human who happened to be the prophet of Islam.

Law said:
mew512 said:
just watched part 2 looks like they censored THAT WORD everytime to stop the complaints

probably censoring ironically

QUOTE(Uncle FEFL @ Apr 22 2010, 10:56 PM) QUOTE(mew512 @ Apr 22 2010, 01:41 PM)
just watched part 2 looks like they censored THAT WORD everytime to stop the complaints
When have they ever shut their mouths when someone was complaining?

Law's right on this one...

I wish I could say you were right, but Comedy Central themselves censored the episode. Even the usually uncut version that appears on the web is censored. I'm very let down by this. Not by Matt and Trey obviously, but by Comedy Central.
frown.gif
A secular democracy banning the image and name of Mohammed, disgusting. A religion has not right being able to dictate what is and what isn't acceptable to be broadcast on television. The even more stupid thing is that it's considered "blashpemous", yet I always thought blasphemy was taking Gods name in vain. Mohammed's not their God, he's their prophet. Shame on Comedy Central and shame on the unhinged over-indoctrinated religious zealots.

Isaac_GS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TrapperKeeperX said:
Also there was no reason for america or england to go into afghanistan or iraq. You guys brought this onto your selves.

As far as Afghanistan, you are completely wrong. Al Qaeda was sponsored by the Taliban, ruling Afghanistan at that time. Al Qaeda and the Taliban are responsible for the murder of thousands of people on American soil on September 11, 2001. Therefore, retaliation was not only justified, but necessary.

I will agree with you about Iraq. Even if Saddam did have weapons of mass destruction (he didn't), so does Russia and Pakistan and China, not to mention France. We should have invaded France - which is a nuclear power (*shock&horror*) - before worrying about Iraq's fictional cache of chemical weapons.

MeowTheMouse

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
wow.. some people are just rude..
You know, those who see others as terrorists are the terrorists, you people are racists. If you value your life the most there are some people who value things that they might consider more important, like family or religion. Just cause you have a gf and play your ds doesnt give you the right to call them lifeless and dirty, they might even be more clean than you. How dare you call them lifeless ? They probably have more important reasons to live than you do.

If something means nothing to me at least I was taught by my parents/religion how to respect and love others, the world doesn't revolve around how awesome you are. How come if I say n**** it would be considered racists and I would be exiled from society, while insulting an other person religion isn't ? So now its ok to insult people intellectually but its "terrorists"/racists to call some one black ?

Those who created that episode are the terrorists, they are the ones who are spreading hatred by mocking others, its degrading and disrespectful. If you have any sense of humanity love and respect, you wouldn't be respecting those who try to do what is known to hurt others just for the sake of fun. Just cause YOU think that Christians are doing nothing about it doesn't mean all Christians are "ok" with it, and even if they are "ok" with it, it doesn't mean u can go around insulting what people value. Some one would get banned if he mocked some one else taste, but its totally fine to mock other people thoughts and beliefs ? Just like how you would kill some one who killed all what you love, there are people out there who value their religion above all else.

GBAtemp is one of my most beloved and respected sites, I really hope that a mod would close the topic, As I find it highly offensive to not only Muslims but Christians and Jews as well.
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Peppe30_Bricking @ Peppe30_Bricking: who knows how long they will last here