Not open for further replies.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I'm just a little confused as to why whenever Soulx posts legitimate news its first post always reads along the lines of, "Dawww, I walked in here expecting Soulx and was not disappointed." I know that he has a bit skewed opinions, but at the same time many other users here treat Sony as our overlords. Very few members even think to post negative news about Sony because they're afraid of being branded as "Valwin", or "Soulx". It inhibits discussions when I and others legitimately have an opinion and real concerns on Sony's plummeting stock shares and many other things too. Why is it that members feel the need to just brush it all of because it's Soulx? It's no secret that Sony has been struggling lately, so why does he get all the flak for reporting it? Even the moderators have been lax in making sure the thread stays on topic, opting instead to lock it when it gets out of hand. Sure this bullshit was funny at first, but now that it's out of hand this much I usually find myself too late to post my concerns or opinions.

I'd really like it if people could remain mature and civil over such things. Don't like his posts, don't post. Maybe debate civilly but don't just walk in and post nonsense and walk out. That is fucking annoying and frankly I'm sick of seeing this recurring theme. >.<

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The loss of credibility plays a role in why his threads get locked. His news posts seem to have a tendency to be baity if anything. This isn't anything personal against him but he does play in attracting the negative attitude he receives.
It's only baity if someone takes it. Yet, the regulars always take it. You'd think after 100s of topics people would just stop posting and let the topics die. But no, Guild (or main perp # ?) has to take it. Then someone has to follow Guild. Then another regular takes it. Suddenly the topic which could have been a legitimate discussion turns into a multi-colored flag waving and dick wagging contest until someone comes to end it with a lock (never with active moderation, just a decisive lock). It's getting on my nerves. Either do something that leaves a lasting impression on the perpetrators, or delete off-topic posts. I'm not a mod, but when I see where the right thing could have been done but wasn't it just raises my hackles.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's only baity if someone takes it. Yet, the regulars always take it. You'd think after 100s of topics people would just stop posting and let the topics die. But no, Guild (or main perp # ?) has to take it. Then someone has to follow Guild. Then another regular takes it. Suddenly the topic which could have been a legitimate discussion turns into a multi-colored flag waving and dick wagging contest until someone comes to end it with a lock (never with active moderation, just a decisive lock). It's getting on my nerves. Either do something that leaves a lasting impression on the perpetrators, or delete off-topic posts. I'm not a mod, but when I see where the right thing could have been done but wasn't it just raises my hackles.

If its baity its baity. If I wanted to goad a mass arguement, I know what buttons should be pushed. And the mods do actively moderate, I can think of a few examples where pages of RAGEEEEE are deleted (a PS3 thread I started had ot be purged of anything relating to soulx) but the fact the userbase has issues when discussing console manufacturers. And the Mods can't fix the userbase being fucking idiots.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If its baity its baity. If I wanted to goad a mass arguement, I know what buttons should be pushed. And the mods do actively moderate, I can think of a few examples where pages of RAGEEEEE are deleted (a PS3 thread I started had ot be purged of anything relating to soulx) but the fact the userbase has issues when discussing console manufacturers. And the Mods can't fix the userbase being fucking idiots.
True enough. At the same time, I've yet to see a recent Soulx thread be actively modded and instead locked. The key word is "you" in that situation. You're reasonable to people whereas Soulx has a stigma attached to his name (for good reason at times). I'm just incredibly tired of arriving late to a thread that could have stayed open but did not. The mods don't have to fix the userbase. They're there to keep them civil and rule abiding. If they can't then it's a warn, or suspension, or the ban hammer.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Soulx does his fair share of flamebait posts, but he also has his fair share of "legitimate news". The people who are annoyed by his flaming insist that everything he posts is flamebait because they interpret it that way when they see his forum name. If I or anyone else were to post the exact same news in the exact same way he does, our posts would not be so easily dismissed because people don't set their interpreters into "flamebait" mode upon seeing our names. There are more people than I can count on a single hand that have a similar nature when they post (some being of the top members of the community), but are exempt either because they are liked by many, they have a special "status" on these forums, or they try to pass it off as a joke even though they continue making such jokes more often than not.

People say Soulx should ease up on posts they interpret as flamebait......well, maybe he shouldn't be the one that needs to make the change. Not the first one anyways.

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Even though people criticize soulx, I've never seen him being disrespectful to a fellow temper. I don't know if he really baits Sony fanboys to discussions, though. But when the 3ds wasn't selling like hotcakes, many people were always talking about how the 3ds was selling poorly all the time.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Soulx does his fair share of flamebait posts, but he also has his fair share of "legitimate news". The people who are annoyed by his flaming insist that everything he posts is flamebait because they interpret it that way when they see his forum name. If I or anyone else were to post the exact same news in the exact same way he does, our posts would not be so easily dismissed because people don't set their interpreters into "flamebait" mode upon seeing our names. There are more people than I can count on a single hand that have a similar nature when they post (some being of the top members of the community), but are exempt either because they are liked by many, they have a special "status" on these forums, or they try to pass it off as a joke even though they continue making such jokes more often than not.

People say Soulx should ease up on posts they interpret as flamebait......well, maybe he shouldn't be the one that needs to make the change. Not the first one anyways.
This is exactly how I feel about Soulx. Thank you for being much more clear than I could. :D

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
did we get our point across yet? or is it still garbage day? maybe i should search the sony threads some more huh?

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ah nm i must of read the topic wrong... so he's a flame bait member? dissing sony or something like that and making too many topics... think i'm going re-read this topic just to make sure...

Zarcon

.:~Enigmatic Wanderer~:.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What I don't get is that if it's so obviously a bait...why go for it?
It's always the same handful of people too.

It's so easy to ignore the bait and reply with some maturity. Maybe even discuss the actual topic.
It's even easier to outright ignore the topic.

So why the need to always light the flame?

It's worse because it's always the same few people involved too.
They're all intelligent people so I can't see them "falling for" such "obvious flamebait" over and over.
Right?

If you can see the topic creator being soulx and go "Oh boy, here we go." then you already have enough to stop yourself.
To respond otherwise shows as much fault on yourself as soulx has on himself.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The problem with Soulx is he doesn't admit to his tendencies, he pretends they don't exist. I think most of the more...prominent members, for whatever they're prominent for, are capable of sitting down and admitting, that, yes, this is how we act.
Soulx always sits there crying wolf. He cries how he's such a victim, how he's done nothing wrong, and it's so god damn obvious he's just pouring gasoline all over the forum and throwing matches like a fucking madman, then when the spotlight drops on him he puts on puppydog eyes and starts crying that he's not doing anything wrong.

That's my only issue. I don't actually give a shit if he wants to bash Sony. Playing victim drives me nuts.

Emigre said about everything else than needed to be said...he has no credibility. Everyone knows he doesn't post vita threads, nor statistics, to inform. He posts them to start something. That's why his threads are locked, where as any of us could post the exact same thing and have it not locked. It's all about context and purpose.

Reactions: Phoenix Goddess

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem with Soulx is he doesn't admit to his tendencies, he pretends they don't exist. I think most of the more...prominent members, for whatever they're prominent for, are capable of sitting down and admitting, that, yes, this is how we act.
Soulx always sits there crying wolf. He cries how he's such a victim, how he's done nothing wrong, and it's so god damn obvious he's just pouring gasoline all over the forum and throwing matches like a fucking madman, then when the spotlight drops on him he puts on puppydog eyes and starts crying that he's not doing anything wrong.

That's my only issue. I don't actually give a shit if he wants to bash Sony. Playing victim drives me nuts.

Emigre said about everything else than needed to be said...he has no credibility. Everyone knows he doesn't post vita threads, nor statistics, to inform. He posts them to start something. That's why his threads are locked, where as any of us could post the exact same thing and have it not locked. It's all about context and purpose.
The other problem is that very few other people post related threads. I wouldn't have this problem if anyone else informed me of Sony's troubles. At the same time if I decided to do it, I fear I may have an undesirable tag that brands me. Even if I did my utmost best to be unbiased and fair. That is just how I see members here act, and it worries me.

Reactions: gloweyjoey

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The problem with SoulX and Valwin threads is not the fact that they post negative news about Sony, it's that they do it in a constant and by the end of the articles, they place obvious troll bait (Valwin) or inflammatory conjuncture (SoulX). That's not proper journalism, and if they don't have the capacity to withdraw from what's considered "flamewar generating" for the sake of doing some honest news reporting, they shouldn't do it at all.

Reactions: Phoenix Goddess

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Sales figure reporting was banned here because people kept chronicling the Vita's slow decline. A recent thread, which was hard facts about Sony's financial status, was closed for... who could possibly know why, really.
Do the math.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Midna's touching on an interesting point - sales figures. With all honesty, I used to see way too many of those charts and I'm glad that they're gone - if anyone feels like circlejerking or circlecrying over some platform selling well or worse, please, move to Neogaf or another pretentious forum that deals specifically with that.

Unless someone is a stock holder, these figures are of zero interest - those threads were used to stir flamewars and nothing else. Certain members just get a hard-on when they see charts showing that the system they prefer has great sales and the system they despise hasn't, and the Temp's administration decided that it's better to ban the charts than the members - a debatable decision, but an effective one.

Now, don't get me wrong - I am not pro limitation of free speech, but those threads simply weren't honest journalism in 99% of cases. Their only purpose was to rub something in the face of other members, and doing so obviously and blatantly.

And the Mods can't fix the userbase being fucking idiots.

Quoted for truth.

What I don't get is that if it's so obviously a bait...why go for it? (...) It's so easy to ignore the bait and reply with some maturity (...) It's even easier to outright ignore the topic.
No, I refuse. I refuse, because I don't think that ignoring the problem has ever, in the history of mankind, fixed the problem. I would rather take that bait and make a big fuss about it than let it just lay there - because that's what should be done.

Each time I will see bait, I will reply saying that I see bait and I will report the thread for locking because I do not condone it - it's gross forum misconduct and it should be penalized.

Reactions: chavosaur

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country
cute-kittenweee.jpg

I feel things in here are getting tense so here is a picture of a kitten.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night