Sooo... iNeed Help!

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by JakePsycho, May 19, 2010.

May 19, 2010

Sooo... iNeed Help! by JakePsycho at 11:53 PM (654 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. JakePsycho
    OP

Member JakePsycho gold~king~house

United States
    I need help with vista as I just switched to it...

My computer is being picky with the disks it reads..

I have a backup CD which has all my stuff, AND VISTA WONT READ IT [​IMG]
    So, when I put in my modified version of Vista in the computer, it reads that disk, but when i put in my backup disk it does nothing...

And i know the backup disk works bcuz i tried it on another computer and it found it [​IMG]

HELP!!!!!!!!!

2. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    It might be your drivers or just the CD drive itself. My DVD drive can't read CD's or blank CD/DVD's only read DVD's.

Also protip: Windows 7

3. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    Could just be a case of cheap media. Some cd/dvd drives have problems reading cheap recordable media.

I highly doubt your OS is at fault here. My suggestions is try different brand of media, and also to update your cd/dvd drives firmware (if any).

4. moose3

Member moose3 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    OK, trying to understand the situation here... did you:

1) backup your stuff on CD, then install vista on the computer? Did you use the win xp 'use a cd as a hard drive and just drop to write' feature, or did you use a burning program to make a CD?

2) backup stuff on CD from an old computer and want to transfer to a new computer? Is either computer a laptop?

If

1) I'd think vista should still have that same ability if you used that formatting a CD as a HD feature, might need to check the web to see if you need something else to make it recognize the CD. If it was a burner program... you might need to use that other computer that reads the CD and get a USB flash drive, transfer the files that way, or transfer over a network with shared folders.

2) If they are desktops, try slapping the old CD drive into the new comp, or if one is a laptop, see if a friend has an IDE to USB converter and hook the old CD drive up through USB. You could also use the USB flash drive or network transfer here as well.

Good luck.