Sony's ban behaviour

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by DinohScene, Dec 20, 2017.

1. DinohScene
    OP

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Vita related bans happened with unreleased trophies iirc.

CallmeBerto likes this.
  2. GothicIII

GothicIII GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 4, 2015
    Gambia, The
    CFW/ODDE/OFW: Can't remember exactly but it was one of the early 4.x Rebug CFWs. Maybe it was still 3.55 but spoofed.
    Online multiplayer: No
    Connected to PSN: Yes
    Homebrew whilst on PSN: Yes
    Cheating whilst on PSN: No
    Loading backups via Multiman/Webman on a separate profile: No
    Loading backups via Multiman/Webman on your main PSN profile: Yes
    If applicable, reason of ban: *
    Console ban: Yes
    Account ban: Yes
    Date of acquiring CFW and date of acquiring ban: First installed 2010 on fw3.55; Banned somewhere Q1/2012
    Hours a day of connected to PSN: always when console was on
    Hours a day of playing multiplayer games: 0

*=I called sony because of this. They gave me as reason "breaking general business terms" without being concrete at all and declined to unban the console and/or account. Never got a soft ban or warning if that matters. One day I was just perma banned.
    I had also a vita which was unaffected except the banned account but luckily it seems it was not possible for them to ban vita's at that time. I was pretty pissed because a week before the ban I bought a psplus subscription for a year and I bought a new PS3 console which was also banned despite just logged in once on OFW; else I wouldn't have complained at all.
    Everything I did on that account was playing backups of originals (because the bddrive failed after a while and I did the backups when I realized the drive may fail soon) and synced trophies.

Lesson I learned since then: Never use hacked consoles online if you paid for your games.
    Bonus: I learned how to remarry bddrives and howto dump, decrypt and modify the PS3 norflash :) But I sold all hacked sony consoles a while ago because I had no use for them anymore. I still have all PS consoles released up today and all are on OFW.

Last edited by GothicIII, Mar 21, 2018
    THYPLEX likes this.
  3. horokeusama

horokeusama GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2011
    Brazil
    Rio de Janeiro
    First post in the thread says that you need an antiban eboot to play recent CoD and GTA5. Does that apply only to multiplayer or single player is also affected?

SpiffyJUNIOR likes this.
  4. DinohScene
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Those games got checks in the eboots that scan for CFW files/folders.
    If it finds those it sends a report to the game servers/Sony servers which allows them to ban you.

5. horokeusama

Jan 5, 2011
    Brazil
    Rio de Janeiro
    But what if I play offline?

6. GothicIII

GothicIII GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 4, 2015
    Gambia, The
    What do you think? There is a magic hidden internet connection over GPS which will send the reports to sony...

If you're offline, you're offline. But the reports will be saved and send when you connect the console next time. There should be a method to delete them but I would suggest to never go online with CFW. See my report above.

7. horokeusama

Jan 5, 2011
    Brazil
    Rio de Janeiro
    I understand, but I think you got banned because you didn't use PSNpatch or PSNinja while was logged in your account. And I did some research and couldn't find a single place talking about this "reporting eboot" in any ps3 game. Are you really sure about that or you're just kidding me and I didn't got the sarcasm? :D

Last edited by horokeusama, Mar 27, 2018
  8. DinohScene
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I wish I was kidding.

The entire purpose of this thread is to observe Sony's ban behaviour.
    Mostly out of curiosity as I know how MS bans pirates/cheaters.

You need an anti-ban eboot for some COD games and GTA 5 (Destiny and some other as well)
    Be it offline or online.
    It scans your console for CFW files and if it finds it, reports it to Sony/said game servers.
    Be it today or next year or never that you log in, you're fucked either way.
    It has found those folders/files (which don't belong on stock HDDs)
    Unless you somehow can manage to find the reports and delete them.

Like @GothicIII said, if you want to be 100% safe, never connect to PSN.
    You can use PSNpatch and PSNinja to reduce the chances of getting banhammered but nothing is guaranteed safe.

SpiffyJUNIOR likes this.
  9. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    the report may be included in the encrypted file that's created in your profile folder. check psdevwiki to learn more. it will report things like time stamps, plugins being used (including psn patch or sen enabler), router info, etc. a lot of it is in real time, though I wouldn't be surprised if history is in there somewhere. afaik, decrypting the file is doable. reencrypting it correctly is a read flag for sony. further, flatz made a post about firmware 4.30 which introduces new methods to determine if someone is on cfw. one of those is reading the idps to see if it's genuine or what came with the system.

SpiffyJUNIOR and DinohScene like this.
  10. TizioCaio95

TizioCaio95 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 22, 2017
    Italy
    CFW/ODDE/OFW: Yes, Rebug 4.7X (If I remember correctly)
    Online multiplayer: Yes
    Connected to PSN: Yes
    Homebrew whilst on PSN: Yes
    Cheating whilst on PSN: Yes
    Loading backups via Multiman/Webman on a separate profile: No
    Loading backups via Multiman/Webman on your main PSN profile: Yes
    Console ban: Yes
    Account ban: No
    Date of acquiring CFW and date of acquiring ban: CFW installed in 2014, banned the same year, like 1 month after cfw
    Hours a day of connected to PSN: Always
    Hours a day of playing multiplayer games: No more than 6 hours a day

*Probably because I opened multiman while I was online (my friend literally saw me playing "MultiMAN") or maybe because I was experimenting with GTA Online Mod Menus

SpiffyJUNIOR likes this.
  11. horokeusama

Jan 5, 2011
    Brazil
    Rio de Janeiro
    I appreciate your answer, but can you please give me another source of this information? Like another forum posts or somebody else that had this same exact problem with those specific games?

12. DinohScene
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Seriously!?

Dude, do some google searching.
    It's literally plastered all over the web.

13. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    those games do check the hdd for specific folders. in fact, even deank has mentioned it. you can't really get anymore reliable source than that.

SpiffyJUNIOR and DinohScene like this.
  14. horokeusama

Jan 5, 2011
    Brazil
    Rio de Janeiro

Jeez, forget about it, man. It's *not* everywhere. The only info related to GTA 5 + eboot + reporting + ban (or something like that) are related to game mods, and NOTHING states that this is applied to single player.

15. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    ask deank then. he's a member of psx place, and we've actually discussed it before. I'm pinky on there. ;)

16. horokeusama

Jan 5, 2011
    Brazil
    Rio de Janeiro
    Thanks! I just created a thread there. It might be more useful than posting in this thread.

17. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I'm not sure if you can still be banned by playing either of those games. however, all a game really needs to do is attempt to write a small file to a location it shouldn't have access to. I'm surprised every game doesn't have that function. it's probably due to money and/or time.

18. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Still true, even with some stuff bought via PC and downloaded on-console (activating just before and deactivating just after)

Therefore it can be proven they don't compare store logs with NPS new releases... :P

Or less anticonsumer developers realizing that obstructing people from getting the legal product helps neither sales of said product nor their reputation?

19. zeveroth

zeveroth Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 16, 2009
    United States
    I installed modified software on my system and connected to psn, foolishly of course. Anyway, around Xmas last year, Sony banned both my console my PSN account. I kept getting an error code .didn't find what it was. Then a week later I got my email saying I was banned. 10 + yr old account and games gone .oh well, I'll just pirate the shit outta those games now. Lol

20. SpiffyJUNIOR

SpiffyJUNIOR GBAtemp Fan

Apr 13, 2016
    United States
    US
    Sony still bans even years after they discontinued the PS3?