Sony VR headset unveiled

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by GameWinner, Mar 19, 2014.

1. GameWinner
    OP

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    [​IMG]

Project Morpheus.

[​IMG]

Source

2. WatchGintama

WatchGintama GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 22, 2009
    United States
    [​IMG]

A quick gif I made before I go to sleep. Super excited for VR to take off!

3. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I was actually going to write an article about it today, but I see that you took care of it and made a thread. As far as the capabilities of this thing are concerned, the visor runs at 1080p at a 90 degrees viewing angle and supports PSMove, Dual Shock 4, external headphones and headsets and is wearable for those who wear glasses, which is neat. More later when I'm back from uni. ;)

4. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    something something price something.

...just like any other display. I don't see how it "supports" any of that in particular.

5. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Right now it's only confirmed for the PS4; I guess there's just a Rift between Sony and the PC crowd.

6. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    So the occulus rift has competition? That's nice, I guess. Except that the technology is all but new (I remember these devices playing doom 2 and descent), and that the first must-play game still needs to be invented.

(from the now-closed thread in user submitted news)
    I was thinking the same thing. It's not like this has anything to do with the God of dreams, after all. :unsure:

7. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Many previous 3D sets had built-in speakers with no space or port for headphones. As far as PSMove support is concerned, I believe the visor is equipped with a light used for head tracking. The Dual Shock 4 support is simply a part of the announced functionality - no clue why they mention it. ;)

8. Hydrazine

Hydrazine Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 19, 2014
    Canada
    PS4's lack of raw power will probably hinder this product. VR needs high framerates to not cause motion sick, a minimum of 60fps according to the Valve VR team. PS4 can barely do 1080p 60fps in current non-VR titles. Rendering at 1080p stereo3D 60FPS doubles system load. So PS4 will barely manage 30fps in VR, unless visual fidelity takes a bit hit. And 60fps is only the baseline. Valve said something like 90fps in really ideal.

DaVince likes this.
  9. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Firstly, I don't understand the whole "barely" bit - contemporary games are nowhere near fully utilizing the system's horsepower and still aren't properly paralleled on 6 cores, secondly, you assume that stereoscopy requires rendering the frame twice which is false, you can fool around with frame buffers and achieve the same effect.

Valve is not an authority in terms of optics by the way - on average, the human eye stops noticing differences in motion fluidity after passing the 72 FPS mark.

10. Hydrazine

Newcomer
    Mar 19, 2014
    Canada
    The CPU utilization matters less to the GPU of the PS4, which is rather weak and the bottleneck. It doesn't take that long to utilize what are basically locked-down PCs (x86 CPU and radeon GPU). Look at AAA games right now for the PS4. How many run at native 1080p 60fps?

FIFA Soccer 14
    NBA 2K14
    Call of Duty: Ghosts
    DC Universe Online
    Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition
    Diablo III: Reaper of Souls

6 Games. 6. And these don't even high fidelity visuals. All other games for the system can't 1080p 60fps.

11. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Oh God, the locked down PC debacle again... No, just no. The PS4/Xbox One are as much PC's as the Xbox 360 is a Mac. As for the GPU, it's mid-tier at worst and enjoys a more direct API, so you can squeeze more juice out of it. Besides, the native resolution doesn't have to be 1080p to reach 1080p output.

12. McHaggis

McHaggis Fackin' Troller

Oct 24, 2008
    Looks cool, it might be the kind of thing I'd buy a PS4 for. I remember reading a games magazine years ago that speculated Nintendo's internal Project Reality name was going to be a VR machine like this. Seeing the image in the article was like a huge flashback to my childhood.

What I want to know is, will they pre-empt all the complaints about people hurting themselves by releasing this with a human-sized condomWii Remote-esque silicon jacket? ;)

13. Hydrazine

Newcomer
    Mar 19, 2014
    Canada
    No, it's pretty low end if it can't even run BF4 at 1080p 60fps. A 750 Ti can do that, and that's a $150 low end card.

Back to topic, it does matter how well you squeeze power, it'll still be far from ideal for VR. VR is where truly raw power is important. You want the best VR, you stick to PC.

14. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I'd rather wait till GDC before passing judgement - we still don't know how the technology works and what impact it has on the system.

15. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    they tried VR already in the 90's...it failed :P

16. Black-Ice

Black-Ice Founder of the Church of Renamon

Oct 31, 2011
    London
    1 step closer to VR Tekken.

Soon...
    soon......

EZ-Megaman and gamefan5 like this.
  17. lokomelo

lokomelo Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Aug 19, 2009
    Brazil
    São Paulo
    hope it works on PC aswell (VR emulators would be good)

18. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    when Nintendo done it... LAME, BORING, NINTENDON'T

when Sony does it.. FUTURE, AWESOME, NINTENDON'T

[​IMG]

EZ-Megaman, NahuelDS and osirisjem like this.
  19. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Technically, that's PlayStation Camera support :tpi:

The concept itself isn't new, the "new" part about it are the improvements the new models have compared to the old hardware. They are smaller, lighter, much cheaper, the field of view is much wider, the screen quality is way greater, and the lag between head movement and image movement is greatly reduced (almost imperceptible, or so they say). It's like tablets for example. They aren't a new invention but the technology for them became ripe only recently.

As for a "must play" game... The ability to look around by looking around already enhances existing games, so people will have something to do while a truly "must play" game is developed. I think for most people it's about immersion rather than the potential new gameplay mechanics a VR headset could offer.

Yes but why did it fail?

DaVince likes this.
  20. Kwartel

Kwartel The fairest in all the land

Apr 11, 2009
    Netherlands
    Massive headaches.