Sony to "Eliminate" Piracy via Google Stadia-like Game Streaming Service

WG481

Official Waluigi Propagandist
Trophies
Somewhere. Look hard enough and you could find me.
XP
Country
United States
Sacrificing gaming speed for anti-piracy is a terrible issue. Cloud-based gaming will rely solely upon fast internet connections. Let's face it, rarely anyone has a fast internet connection within the US without going bankrupt. This will definitely lead to problems down the track.

D

Deleted User

If hackers then decide to not hack PS5 like they did Xbox One, it will certainly be a big blow to piracy on Playstation. Otherwise no.

I personally would never pay for a streaming service, I'd just buy the games individually like I always have if there's no option to pirate. And the ones I pirate if I really like them I buy anyway.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: WaterBlad64

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Sacrificing gaming speed for anti-piracy is a terrible issue. Cloud-based gaming will rely solely upon fast internet connections. Let's face it, rarely anyone has a fast internet connection within the US without going bankrupt. This will definitely lead to problems down the track.
Maybe Sony can help the little man fight for better internet and stop these companies from giving us bad internet and having monopoly over it. It conflicts with Sony's plan of making more money with cloud and ending piracy. Rich company vs Rich company will be the only way for us to get good internet.

D

Deleted User

This article seems a lil' fear-monger-y, I don't think some complete shift to cloud streaming will happen any time soon or anything.

Until just about everybody has a Fiber connection or something better, then no. I have 400 Gb download and it does everything I want, through ethernet. But I do sometimes I have problems with wireless still on certain things. 5G helps with wireless but it still needs to be better.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Honestly I'm loving Microsoft's approach at the moment. Being able to play stuff on the Series X, carry on in a different room on my phone with remote play, then in a completely different place with XCloud is really nice. Cloud gaming makes a great supplement to the traditional stuff in my opinion, and it'll only get better as broadband and mobile data improve.

WG481

Official Waluigi Propagandist
Trophies
Somewhere. Look hard enough and you could find me.
XP
Country
United States
Maybe Sony can help the little man fight for better internet and stop these companies from giving us bad internet and having monopoly over it. It conflicts with Sony's plan of making more money with cloud and ending piracy. Rich company vs Rich company will be the only way for us to get good internet.
Let's be honest here, we only complain about bad Wifi because we live in America. Internet is regulated by governments everywhere else, which is why when I went to Canada I have never seen a switch game download faster. Screw American Wifi.

Reactions: The Catboy

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Honestly I'm loving Microsoft's approach at the moment. Being able to play stuff on the Series X, carry on in a different room on my phone with remote play, then in a completely different place with XCloud is really nice. Cloud gaming makes a great supplement to the traditional stuff in my opinion, and it'll only get better as broadband and mobile data improve.
I don’t use Microsoft’s services but I also stream many of my games through Geforce Now. I’ve honestly found myself enjoying my experiences and it’s been pretty satisfying being able to play my games on everything from my phone to my old Dell laptop

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don’t use Microsoft’s services but I also stream many of my games through Geforce Now. I’ve honestly found myself enjoying my experiences and it’s been pretty satisfying being able to play my games on everything from my phone to my old Dell laptop
Oh gosh yeah I forgot about Geforce Now. I have that too lol. Ended up deciding to try a 6 month for £15 kinda deal and it just happened to be before they moved out of beta, so I managed to get the founders price. With how that works with your Steam account, it's just as fluid as the Xbox ecosystem for PC. Really great service if you have the network to support it.

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a reminder, PSP isos/DLC/patches are theoretically about to get nuked off of NPS so get what you need to get before july
If it's anything like most store shutdowns that have occurred thus far, it's very likely that any content already purchased should remain available, and I'd imagine patches will remain available as well... is there anything at all that distinctly says that isn't the case with the PSP shutdown?

This sort of inaccurate fearmongering always seems like it pops up, especially with Nintendo's stores. The vast majority of delisted games and discontinued shops still allow you to download your purchased games... I think they legally have to.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So is the games playable? No problems with the stream quality or lag?:unsure:

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So is the games playable? No problems with the stream quality or lag?:unsure:
If you have a good connection it's really great. I was staying in a hotel last month that was in a particularly good area for mobile data, and I was flawlessly streaming EDF 5 to my phone. What you get out of it really varies based on your local infrastructure though.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have a good connection it's really great. I was staying in a hotel last month that was in a particularly good area for mobile data, and I was flawlessly streaming EDF 5 to my phone. What you get out of it really varies based on your local infrastructure though.
Well I suppose that makes sense. Though I wonder how good does the connection have to be? I'm sure there is servers and like speed limits you have to reach for the "acceptable" quality. :ninja:

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well I suppose that makes sense. Though I wonder how good does the connection have to be? I'm sure there is servers and like speed limits you have to reach for the "acceptable" quality. :ninja:
Pretty sure you can use Geforce Now for free if you're curious how it runs. You're just limited to hour play sessions and might have to wait in a queue to play a game at peak times.

DBlaze

I don't know what i'm doing.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
as long as high speed internet with low latency isn't a thing worldwide, this will never fully take off
and that's a good thing, i'm tired of all this subscription nonsense

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao now I can live the life of Juan...