Sony says no 3D PSP anytime soon, questions Nintendo 3DS announcement.

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Seraph said:
And the reason why the PSP continues to sell is because it's Sony...you can't really use that argument. Sure you can call the touchscreen or motion sensing a gimmick but they sell, and not only because it's Nintendo. Not only because they have first party titles. A lot of sales are family friendly or easy to pick up. You can say the only thing that's kept the PSP afloat is Monster Hunter with your argument...but that's wrong. How many copies of Dragon Quest for the DS sell in Japan? A lot. Yeah, because that was developed by Nintendo, right? Each system has a pretty good library and sure the biggest sales are from first party games but that's not always the story.

And to saying the power of the DS has had a detrimental effect on the system? That's just stupid. That means games have gotten worse as time has gone by because the DS couldn't handle the game and developers continued to making these games. The power hasn't had a detrimental effect...it's just a limitation on what game developers can do with the system. And I think developers have this limitation in mind when they develop their games on the DS.

like i said, if any other company put forward a machine like the ds, it wouldn't have sold. because the ds has the nintendo name on it, people know its a family friendly and easy to use device from past games that were put out on nintendo consoles. people know the zelda and mario names, developers see this and jump on board, why not take advantage of that very fact? developers know people are going to buy a nintendo product because of mario kart or pokemon, they might as well develop on a handheld they know they have some chance of selling their games on. sure there have been plenty of 3rd party titles that have sold well, but its mainly the first party titles that see huge sales.

as for the psp's situation, same story with the ds, except with 3rd party orientated games. people know sony practically owns games like Gran turismo, Metal Gear Solid, later final fantasies, Killzone, God of war e.t.c and buy the psp/ps3 because of these games. regardless of whether they are actually good or not.

if say... sega jumped back in the game with the ds instead of nintendo, would it have done as well? nowhere near, there'd be the one or two developers interested in releasing a game on it and the sonic fan who would buy into it. but sega have nowhere near as impressive first party titles. It'd only be successful if sega were in the same shoes as sony and could afford to continually support the psp like sony have. it'd be the wii in its current situation, a fair load of first party games but few and far between 3rd party titles that aren't shovelware.

And the ds being underpowered has some effect on the system, you really should look up what detrimental means. Like i said in my other post, Graphics are a huge factor on how people perceive a game these days, for most people that don't play games often, bad graphics = shit game. you'd be surprised on the amount of people who have bought/intend to buy the psp over the ds for that very reason, and its somewhat contributed to the psp's success. If the ds had a bit more power under its belt and could produce the same level of graphics the psp has? you'd be seeing a lot more sales on the ds's side. sure the ds is doing mighty fine, but the fact it is underpowered has hindered its sales.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Lubbo said:
QUOTE said:
8 and 9 year olds playing 3D is a little bit of a stretch given where some of our research is right now.

Harsh Sony.

It's not like any of that research is real.... they're just talking out of their asses, as usual. The vast majority of 3-D movies these days are children''s movies, for god's sake. Why would a kid not want to play a 3-D handheld?

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TM2-Megatron said:
Why would a kid not want to play a 3-D handheld?
you mean like virtual boy?
ph34r.gif

urashimakun890

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SPH73 said:
Bladexdsl said:
man sony all they can do these days is run their fucking mouth
our (stolen) motion controls are better
are psp will be better
3d is better with glasses and in HD

WHO GIVES A FUCK!
rolleyes.gif

Abso-freaking-lutely.

Seriously Sony, shut the fuck up already.

This trash talk is nothing but fear. They know the Apple monster is moving in. And although Apple will effect Nintendo, they'll hurt Sony a lot more.

Sony also knows that Nintendo has one upped them once again.

I so totally agree on this.
We might as make our own game companies to scare Sony too. xD

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Joe88 said:
TM2-Megatron said:
Lubbo said:
QUOTE said:
8 and 9 year olds playing 3D is a little bit of a stretch given where some of our research is right now.

Harsh Sony.

It's not like any of that research is real.... they're just talking out of their asses, as usual. The vast majority of 3-D movies these days are children''s movies, for god's sake. Why would a kid not want to play a 3-D handheld?
you mean like virtual boy?
ph34r.gif

Virtual Boy was simply releeased too early... 3-D technology was in its infancy. Sharp had actually nailed down Parallax Barrier LCDs by 1994... but how many thousands would the VB have cost if it used technology remotely resembling that?

Sony are (yet again) simply being dicks, issuing their subtle bashes at Nintendo for trying to make a portable version of the technology Sony is pimping the hell out of for TVs. Their focusing on 3-D for the PS3 is probably a mistake, unless they don't plan to make it available for at least a year; possibly two or three. There are still a ton of people who haven't bothered upgrading to HDTVs... and a vast majority of HDTVs owners have budget "under $1000" models, and for anything bigger than 37" $1000 doesn't buy you a very good TV. And very few people who've upgraded to HDTVs in the last few yeras will be willing to run out and spend $5000+ on 3DTVs for a good, long time... and it won't help that the first couple generations of 3DTVs will probably look like ass compared to what's on the horizen.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Bladexdsl said:
they can keep the shit don't need or WANT it. 3d is just a gimmick.

+10000

i'm sick of this 3D too, no matter what forum i go to they are always talking about it, sony think that everyone will just throw their current hdtvs away and buy a 3D tv it's annoying right now, plus you have nintendo with their silly 3d handheld aswell they already released the DSXL gosh.

on top of that i brought a W series sony bravia 4 months ago for £600 and it's ALREADY outdated, don't get me started on my DS lite.

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Cermage said:
And the ds being underpowered has some effect on the system, you really should look up what detrimental means. Like i said in my other post, Graphics are a huge factor on how people perceive a game these days, for most people that don't play games often, bad graphics = shit game. you'd be surprised on the amount of people who have bought/intend to buy the psp over the ds for that very reason, and its somewhat contributed to the psp's success. If the ds had a bit more power under its belt and could produce the same level of graphics the psp has? you'd be seeing a lot more sales on the ds's side. sure the ds is doing mighty fine, but the fact it is underpowered has hindered its sales.
Oh, I know what it means...which is why I pointed it out. It's had a detrimental effect on sales, yeah sure. Sales are not the same as the quality of a game, which the original statement had to do with slowdown not sales. I don't think you can really say it's a detrimental effect because of slowdown in some games, yet their are probably only a few games that actually detract from the gameplay experience.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The big difference between Sony and Nintendo is that Sony seeks to advance a familiar territory while Nintendo just hops to an unexplored one.

Look at the Playstation line-up. They're essentially big upgrades of each other. Better graphics, better layout, better features. Nintendo used to just constantly provide upgraded systems, but now has since decided to not really focus on upgrading the core specs of a system (meaning graphical power and such) but instead just leaping into a new area that nobody has a stake in. The DS has a touch screen and while yes, is an upgrade in almost every way from the GBA, is a lot less powerful to the PSP. The Wii is only slightly better graphically than the Gamecube, Xbox, or PS2 (even then, you can only really see that it's better in a few top-notch games), but uses motion controls and pointer controls. It's not a good or bad thing. It's just two different company ideologies. Who wins is still up for grabs (yes, the Wii is still selling through the roof, but the PS3 is the rising star and getting a lot of attention). As for handhelds, Nintendo has always had that market and always will. The PSP itself is a good system and the biggest competitor to Nintendo's handhelds yet, but it still can't beat a monopoly on the area.

It would be nothing but foolhardy and cheesy for Sony to do a 3D PSP. They already ripped off the Wii's controller with the Move, making a 3D PSP would just give them a "Copycat" tag slapped on them. Odds are the next PSP successor will be an upgrade to the PSP and, at most, I'll guess have a touchscreen on top of the normal button layout.

As for the new DS, the 3D may be cool but it won't by any means be a graphical powerhouse. The next PSP will have better looking games, they just won't have you freaking out in three dimensions.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Guild McCommunist said:
As for the new DS, the 3D may be cool but it won't by any means be a graphical powerhouse. The next PSP will have better looking games, they just won't have you freaking out in three dimensions.

That the next PSP out vastly outstrip the 3SD in raw power is very likely, yeah. But Sony's hardware this generation has been a bit too overpowered, IMO. The last rumours on the PSP2 had it using some kind of quad core chip, of which a single core outpowers the Tegra chip that Nintendo is rumoured to be using for the 3DS. Rumours were estimating the PSP2 to be somewhere between an XBox and 360, power-wise.

However if the 3DS really does have Gamecube-level graphics, that'll place it well ahead of the regular PSP... and IMO Gamecube is good enough for a handheld in this generation. I really don't need my handheld to be a Cray supercomputer, Sony... thanks, but no thanks. The PSP2 will be on the market later than the 3DS thanks to Sony having to wait for this powerful hardware to be available, and it'll likely be incredibly expensive. Those were both mistakes Sony also made with the PS3... the difference is that over time the PS3 survived that. Like you said, Nintendo has most of the market... a PSP2 wouldn't be as resilient to the kind of slow start the PS3 had to endure.

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Seraph said:
Cermage said:
Oh, I know what it means...which is why I pointed it out. It's had a detrimental effect on sales, yeah sure. Sales are not the same as the quality of a game, which the original statement had to do with slowdown not sales. I don't think you can really say it's a detrimental effect because of slowdown in some games, yet their are probably only a few games that actually detract from the gameplay experience.

except the quality of the games is irrelevant if the system isn't successful in the eyes of the company, which is where sony was coming from. you can make as many great games as you want but if it doesnt sell, its not successful.

Juanmatron

Slater Color
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Nintendo 3DS: 3D graphics and specs unknown.
PSP2 (temporal name): Technical section of the first Microsoft's Xbox, 133 million polygons per second (more than first XBOX), graphics processor based on a multicore version of SGX543 of Imagination Technologies, the same chips that carry Iphones, count with 4 cores and its code name is "hydra". The new laptop will have separate caches for textures and data 8-enhancing ISP PE Fill Rate, extensions vec3 / 4 in the USSE (Unified Scalable Shading Engine) to double the actual performance of applications and vector shaders that will support OpenGL 2.0 and Direct X10, a spectacular power for a handheld.

Who wins? If Nintendo 3DS doesn´t have GameCube power (and only have 28 millons polygons)...

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Juanmatron said:
Nintendo 3DS: 3D graphics and specs unknown.
PSP2 (temporal name): Technical section of the first Microsoft's Xbox, 133 million polygons per second (more than first XBOX), graphics processor based on a multicore version of SGX543 of Imagination Technologies, the same chips that carry Iphones, count with 4 cores and its code name is "hydra". The new laptop will have separate caches for textures and data 8-enhancing ISP PE Fill Rate, extensions vec3 / 4 in the USSE (Unified Scalable Shading Engine) to double the actual performance of applications and vector shaders that will support OpenGL 2.0 and Direct X10, a spectacular power for a handheld.

Who wins? If Nintendo 3DS doesn´t have GameCube power (and only have 28 millons polygons)...

If the 3DS has Gamecube power or not (though I'm guessing it will), the PSP drastically outpowered the DS and who won that? Power isn't everything... what I read when I see thos PSP2 specs is "MONEYS". Just like the PS3 before it, the PSP2 will be drastically overpowered at launch... leading to a price high enough that most people won't want to pay. The 3DS will be a cheaper alternative, with glasses-less 3-D, and (IMO) hardware that's more than powerful enough for the next generation of handheld. Honestly, what's the real difference between a Gamecube and XBox in your hand, when the screen is only 3-5 inches.

blackdragonbaham

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
isn't it obvious?, they still have to recover from their ultimate fail with the psp go, also the first time after years sony tried something innovative, so they are going to be back on their known defensive strategy, let the foes the precedence just to become offensive and jump into the boat of success if the others get money out of their idea, tz

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
i guess graphics are a great thing for nintendo but for their PSP they concentrated more on the graphics than gameplay but seemed to have changed tht strategy with the ps3
i myself doubt how 3d the 3ds will be but it will be better and more interesting than any other handheld console (lets hope it doesnt hurt the eyes)

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
CrimzonEyed said:
Maikel Steneker said:
TM2-Megatron said:
Also, getting into 3-D console gaming so early might be a mistake. It's going to rely on people having the new special TVs, and those will be expensive as hell for quite a while to come... not to mention that the first couple generations will probably look like ass.
I agree, it makes more sense on a handheld. That said, I'm glad the PS3 will support it soon. A few years ago, no one had an HDTV either. It's only a matter of time before 3D TVs become affordable. Having a game console, games and movies that support it only makes it more interesting.

3d tv is standard in 4 years!
I say 6 years they become affordable for the average consumer which is really more important from a sales perspective.

6 years ago a 720p/1080i 42 inch TV cost almost 2000 dollars. 3D TV's which are not even a year old cost about 5000-7000 dollars today while a 42 inch 1080p TV currently sells for about 600-1000 dollars. Keeping up with current sales trends, in 6 years 3D TV's will be far more affordable then they are now and regular HDTV's will be in the 200-500 dollar range depending on size. 3D technology for home film has been available for a while thanks to Blu Ray, some home theater projectors can already project 3D images from the films that support them assuming you own a Blu Ray player, they have been able to since companies like Disney and Pixar started creating 3D animated films a few years ago.

A family friend has a big ass projector that ran him about 4,000 bucks, 1080p and projects an image up to 50 feet wide in full clarity, movies in 3D on it don't need the stupid glasses either.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You woke sob +1