Sony has no plans for a "PSP2"

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by War, Dec 12, 2008.

Dec 12, 2008

Sony has no plans for a "PSP2" by War at 3:14 PM (1,119 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    [​IMG]

"Yes! It's time for this week's instalment of No Plans Watch. So, who doesn't have any plans today? It's Sony's David Reeves, who says Sony have no plans for a PSP2.

Speaking with MCV, the Sony Computer Entertainment boss responded to questions bugging him about a second-generation Sony handheld with:

So...either Sony Japan only talk about the PSP2 behind Reeves' back, or they're too busy firing thousands of people? Not the most upbeat of responses, David! In fact, that's the most down-beat No Plans Watch we've done in months.

Thanks for bumming us out on such a lovely day [​IMG]"

Source

2. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    Come on cheer up! It's not the PSP2 will be any better like the DSi that's for sure! What Sony and Nintendo needs to do is make a handheld that doesn't break easily! Like a GBC or Gameboy.

3. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    I don't even want a PSP2... I want a PS2P. :[

4. miruki

Member miruki GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    YES! I want that too.. ;__________;

5. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    it's way to soon to get a new psp. the psp is a hardware monster. what developers need to do, is get off their lazy asses, stop producing shovelware for the ds, and start making some kickass psp games [​IMG]

6. stretch

Newcomer stretch Advanced Member

United States
    To me, it's just how the 360 is getting more attention than the PS3, and apply that to the handhelds.

7. 23qwerty

Member 23qwerty GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Woah, that mockup looks sick, I would buy that in a heartbeat O.o

8. silent sniper

Member silent sniper !dennaB

Canada
    you serious? that would be the most awkward thing to hold ever.

and that screen would prob crack pretty fast.

9. 23qwerty

Member 23qwerty GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    It wouldn't be that awkward, look at the iPhone, iTouch.
    Plus it just looks awesome.

10. Lily

Former Staff Lily One Scary Lady

Canada
    Good--we don't need another PSP.

Yes, Nintendo needs a good competitor, but the PSP simply wasn't the right one. Sony spread itself too thin trying to support the PSP, the PS2 AND the PS3 in the same market. Their arrogance from the success of the PS2, their reliance on proprietary technology (UMD/Memory Stick), putting too much fancy technology in the same box (Blu-Ray, Cell) have all driven a wedge between them and developers for a variety of inter-related reasons.

Nintendo have proven time and time again in the handheld space that it's not the best technological package that makes for the best game system--it's the GAMES, the ability to pick up and play without needing a detailed manual. While Nintendo has veered too far in that direction by making games almost too casual, they've at least shown that building a platform for good gaming experiences has nothing to do with new technology.

The PSP is a great system--but it will never attract the same install base for the same reason that the Wii dominates in sheer install base > EVERYONE is buying it (a Wii, a DS), not just the hardcore gamers that Sony was so proud to have won away from Nintendo after the N64 fiasco. Have a look somewhere public, like the subway--chances are you'll see a mix of young and old playing on their DS systems, while you may see a lone 18-25 male watching converted anime episodes on his PSP.

Look back through gaming history--the majority had a SNES, not a Genesis--and that's where the developers went. The majority had a PS1 and a PS2--and that's where the developers went. Sony misjudged the market this time around, and are now eating hefty chunks of humble pie. If they are ever to compete in the handheld space again, I think they need to be much more realistic and more encompassing to the whole new gaming demographic. The problem is--and it seems like they've realized it--is that they don't want to compete that way, and the way they want to compete simply didn't work. I think the PSP will retire itself as fewer and fewer games become available for it. The hardcore will hold on tight, because emulation/etc is just too awesome..but that's about it.

Ramble, ramble. Bottom line, if they really aren't making a PSP2, I think they're making the right choice.

11. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada

I completely agree....

12. pilotwangs

Member pilotwangs GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    I doubt I would have got the PSP 2 anyway.

I'm fine with my phat PSP.

13. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    In better times I owned a DS, PSP, 360 & Wii and when a game came out on all four consoles I generally didn't bother with the PSP version as it was pretty much the same as the Wii or 360 one (there are some exceptions), whereas the DS version was mostly an entirely different game.

I think that is another problem with the PSP that Sony needs to address if they want it to be a success. I do keep reading how the PSP is selling fairly well but you hardly ever hear about its games selling.

PSP2 is not needed, even if it had the power of the 360. It'll cost too much and you'll end up with the same games as the PS3 & 360, games that people would rather buy for those two and just pirate for PSP2.

14. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    That mock up is nice, Id probably want it just for the looks.

I see a lot more people with PSP's these days and not that many with DS's, but they never seem to be gaming with it, they just use it for media. And when I see people with a DS they are always playing bloody Brain Training!