Sony dismisses Activision threats, PS3 price cut rumors

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by antonkan, Jul 8, 2009.

1. antonkan
    OP

Member antonkan GBAtemp Maniac

Canada

The result: Sony ignores PlayStation 3 price cut!

Source: Gamespot

[​IMG]Activision Threatens Sony to Give PS3 Price Cut

2. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    Sony probably can't fucking afford it, Activision should shut their god damn mouths seriously, just more proof that they want more money, greedy assholes. I wish people would stop complaining about the PS3's price, if you are an American you have the fricking luxury of paying far less then what people in other countries have to pay for the damn thing. Sony will cut the price when they want to, their shit is expensive to produce and they gotta make money off it.

3. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    Yes they can, it's all for greed for Sony.

4. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    Sure, Sony, whatever you say. [​IMG]

Though I've been enjoying my PS3 quite a bit, it's exclusives really lack the length and content. inFAMOUS is short as hell, Drake's Fortune is Short, Rachet and Clank is short, Heavenly sword is short,and so on. Sure, there's FPS games, but I'm pretty tired of them right now. Oh, and not to mention, all the games I mentioned, besides FPS games, don't even have offline multiplayer.

If it wasn't for 5 of the PS3's most highly rated games, and a free HDMI cable, I wouldn't have jumped on it.

5. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    it'll be interesting to see how this plays out. didnt another publisher also say they were going to abandon sony if there weren't price cuts?

6. GentleFist

GentleFist Newbie

agreein on sony

ps3 is expensive but its good

7. jphriendly

Member jphriendly GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well Sony, be prepared to go the way of Sega if you don't get your crap straight.

8. Wabsta

Member Wabsta you fight like a dairy farmer

Netherlands
    qft.

9. DSGamer64

Canada
    Ok, first off Sony isn't even making money off the PS3, they are still taking losses as far as I know, and considering how much money Sony sunk into Blu Ray and Cell technology, they want to make some of it back so even if they are making profits off of it, why should they cut off their income until they have recovered a bit?

10. Dark_linis

Member Dark_linis GBAtemp Regular

United States
    This is what I dont understand about gaming companies. If you use alot of cutting edge tech then yeah, you'll be better than the opposition but it means nothing if people cant afford the said tech.

If the PS3 was cheaper I know alot of people who would have bought one (including myself).

11. DSGamer64

Canada
    Sony doesn't have a strangle hold on any market they are active in, unlike Microsoft who dominates and pretty much has a monopoly over the computer market, so of course Sony doesn't have the same influx of cash that Microsoft gets because they are invested in so many different kinds of technology.

12. Saywhatjj4

Member Saywhatjj4 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Sony Vs Activision War!!! [​IMG]
    Lets see how this Turns out [​IMG]

13. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    The funniest thing is that the "OMGSOAWESOMERTHANYOU" Cell can't even make better games than the "old" and "plain" 360 [​IMG]

And about the BluRay... It killed HDDVD. So, it DESERVES to fail. HDDVD should've been the true successor, and I'll NEVER think of the BluRay as a successor. More like a new Betamax.

14. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    The only thing Sony would lose is Call of Duty (which is a rather big name nowadays), Guitar Hero (I doubt they'd dive out of the market with Rock Band competing with them and releasing the highly anticipated Beatles version), and a possible Prototype sequel (which isn't as huge as Call of Duty). The rest of their big series games have either been killed by them (Crash Bandicoot and Spyro) or just fell out of popularity (Tony Hawk).

15. antonkan
    OP

Canada
    @Guild McCommunist: Sony won't lose Activision's games, just the price cut.

16. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Call of Duty & Guitar Hero still sell on PS3, despite Guitar Hero being a shadow of its former self quality wise. Activision would be stupid to not put them on PS3.

As I said before, this is just Activision shaking their dicks about just because they're the top selling publisher around. Thing is I can see them making losses from getting complacent like EA did before they decided to change and go for "quality".

Seems to me that the PS3 is actually growing in user install base, while I don't see it taking over the 360 its still more worth while to put gamer games on it then the Wii.

17. antonkan
    OP

Canada
    Also, PS3 was NOW popular in Japan, so Wii is popular in the United States and Canada.

18. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    it was always said tht wat the ps3 brought was too early for the market to accept... haste became waste but not it is gonna pick up since the economy and ppl are getting back up... nothing to worry about since sony are pretty strong to oppose oppositions be it activision

19. thebigboss14

Member thebigboss14 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    What we have to admit is that the PS3 is expensive because of the features it comes with like the main one which is the Blu-ray DVD player built in that people that live in the US like me know that they are about $300 dollars or around there depending the brand. Ok that means the the cost of the PlayStation is not the game system itself is because of how expensive it is to be manufactured and the part that it is made of. The hard drive is something too that comes with the high price, everyone knows that more space means more money. I could add other features like the built in Wi-Fi and stuff like that but thats already too much. So do what I did get the cheapest one and just change the hard drive to one with 340 MB jajaja real good right [​IMG]