purplesludge

anyone have any ideas for this space
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The ps3 doesn't automatically connect to wireless networks you have to go into network settings and manually add it.

The article seems mostly like speculation. There is one source that doesn't even apply to most of what was said in the article just about the ps3 phoning home.

DasXero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chartube12 said:
DarkWay said:
What if you don't connect your PS3 to your network in the first place?
This fails for purely offline users.

As for the "pirate" scene I'm sure someone(some people) can figure out a way to disable these checks.

Your ps3 would connect automaticaly to the nearest password-free wifi to send the logs.
Pretty sure that's illegal (probably wrong).

SparkFenix

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DasXero said:
chartube12 said:
DarkWay said:

As for the "pirate" scene I'm sure someone(some people) can figure out a way to disable these checks.

Your ps3 would connect automaticaly to the nearest password-free wifi to send the logs.

What if you had a fixed upload rate and had no password?

Your neighbour's ps3 would make you pay twice as much

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SparkFenix said:
DasXero said:
chartube12 said:
DarkWay said:

What if you had a fixed upload rate and had no password?

Your neighbour's ps3 would make you pay twice as much
for sending a few kb's (maybe less) worth of data?

but again its the neighbors fault for not securing the connection

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it's ok to crack into even security enabled connections and blame it on them for not being secure enough if I use it?

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
who said anything about breaking into secured networks

if it finds open wifi it simply connects

it doesnt attempt to break into networks, im not even sure where you got the idea from

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DasXero said:
chartube12 said:
DarkWay said:

It is. I remember a while back with all the speculation about the 3DS automatically connecting to wifi spots with or without permission and there was a big discussion of how illegal it is.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But the reason behind it was, since it was open wifi, regardless of who owns it, we can feel free to use it because it was their fault for not adding security.

To me that means, because you were not secure enough, it's ok to use it. Therefore even if they have security that can be cracked, it should be ok to use it because it was not secure enough.

The PS3 can only have one simultaneous connection at once. If this ever happened, I'll just connect to an internetless router.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Zetta_x said:
Therefore even if they have security that can be cracked, it should be ok to use it because it was not secure enough.

So if someone hacks into your bank account and steals all of your money or gets your info from an ATM machine that they hacked, it's okay and not illegal because it wasn't secure enough, therefore they shouldn't have to be punished?

TravisProduckshi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Technically, they aren't allowed to do this though, right? After we PAYED FOR the console, we are allowed to do anything we want with it, excluding playing back-ups of games that you don't own. These log checks, do they check what we were playing/doing? (e.g., playing a blu-ray, back-up, homebrew, etc) If so, it still doesn't matter because if you own the game, you're technically allowed to make a back-up of it, i think. And how are they supposed to know which games you do or don't have?

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
couldn't care less about PSN so they won't stop this
tongue.gif

purplesludge

anyone have any ideas for this space
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DiscostewSM said:
http://www.scei.co.jp/ps3-eula/ps3_eula_en.html

EDIT: Wasn't meant as a response to you purplesludge, but for everyone wondering about rights and such.
I figured as much when I read it. I didn't notice any parts about them having the rights to disable the console only to revoke access to their services.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Not having the wifi locked does not give people the right to connect without permission.
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/20...rom-his-car.ars
http://www.pcworld.com/article/121747/man_...fi_network.html

Even though it's broadcast wirelessly, it's still your own network, and people do not have the right to access a private network without authorization.

pyrmon24 said:
I call bulshit on this
I don't think they have the legal right to render a console unusable because of the Jailbreak...
They have the ability.

However they will never use it, it's suicide for them as a company. They will be sued and forced to replace every system that was disables (potentially every system period if it's determined that the ability to disable remotely itself is llegal and they have to remove that) in addition to huge legal fees for breaking public trust and all sorts of shit (yes you can get sued for that, and I'm sure people that sue Sony for this will throw every law they can into the mix).

Sony's pretty retarded with it's priorities, but disabling the system is jumping off of a cliff into lava.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: For example, one of my other favorite songs from them, with some massive house music influence -