DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Not having the wifi locked does not give people the right to connect without permission.
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/20...rom-his-car.ars
http://www.pcworld.com/article/121747/man_...fi_network.html

Even though it's broadcast wirelessly, it's still your own network, and people do not have the right to access a private network without authorization.

pyrmon24 said:
I call bulshit on this
I don't think they have the legal right to render a console unusable because of the Jailbreak...
They have the ability.

However they will never use it, it's suicide for them as a company. They will be sued and forced to replace every system that was disables (potentially every system period if it's determined that the ability to disable remotely itself is llegal and they have to remove that) in addition to huge legal fees for breaking public trust and all sorts of shit (yes you can get sued for that, and I'm sure people that sue Sony for this will throw every law they can into the mix).

Sony's pretty retarded with it's priorities, but disabling the system is jumping off of a cliff into lava.

Yay Rydian the voice of reason, and cats.

SPH73

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Not having the wifi locked does not give people the right to connect without permission.

Even though it's broadcast wirelessly, it's still your own network, and people do not have the right to access a private network without authorization.

pyrmon24 said:
I call bulshit on this
I don't think they have the legal right to render a console unusable because of the Jailbreak...
They have the ability.
However they will never use it, it's suicide for them as a company. They will be sued and forced to replace every system that was disables (potentially every system period if it's determined that the ability to disable remotely itself is llegal and they have to remove that) in addition to huge legal fees for breaking public trust and all sorts of shit (yes you can get sued for that, and I'm sure people that sue Sony for this will throw every law they can into the mix).

Sony's pretty retarded with it's priorities, but disabling the system is jumping off of a cliff into lava.

Of course they do. That's why the infamous "clock bug" hit right after the PS3 slim was released to market.

smile.gif

The second part has pretty much already been discussed. If sony ever did anything like this it would be corporate suicide.

Heck even talking about this situation is bad PR. Sony just can't win.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Rydian said:

pyrmon24 said:
I call bulshit on this
They have the ability.

They have the ability to yes, but do they have the right to? Absolutely not.

They have a right to protect their console from potential cash losses yes, but to take an illegal approach and automatically make your Playstation connect to someone's connection without your or their permission is retarded.

cacildo

Went and came back
Trophies
XP
Country
Burkina Faso
FRESH NEWS:

Sony fills lawsuit agains Geohot

I say lets f*** em.

Im not fond on this Geohot guy, but Sony´s answer is a Nazi bitch anwser.

This lawsuit AND the rumor about Sony being able to explode your PS3.... NOT GOOD. NOT GONNA TAKE IT.

Lets put this show on the road.
As soon as possible,
Spread the word on "HOW TO DO IT".
Lets see if sony can handle 10million tainted systems.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
Defendants recently bypassed effective technological protection measures
i lol'd.

QUOTE said:
The PS3 System has enjoyed wide success throughout the United States and the
world. Over 41 million PS3 Systems have been sold worldwide since the product release in
November 2006. Russell Decl. at ¶4. There are hundreds of different video game titles
currently available for the PS3 System in the United States, which typically sell for retail
prices between $40.00 and $70.00.

Really, is there a reason to BRAG in this legal document Sony? Really?

IT IS SO ORDERED.

Lol at that at the end of the document. Are they usually that funny to read? Anyways, doesn't this just prove how fucked Sony are in this case? That, not a simple fw update will fix it. I also like how Sony is doing this, yet Nintendo and Microsoft hasn't just came out and "YOUR SO SUED!!!"

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
Nintendo and Microsoft hasn't just came out and "YOUR SO SUED!!!"
like how the person who leaked new super mario bros wii?
he was sued $1.5m by nintendo

and microsoft has sued plenty of people
just not any regarding their game division yet, they just ban systems and accounts

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
Really, is there a reason to BRAG in this legal document Sony? Really?Yes, and it's not bragging. They have to prove to the courts that their products are widespread and well-known and is their source of income and shit as part of the case (to prove that they are being damaged and it's a serious thing for them). It's how these court cases work.

QUOTE(SPH73 @ Jan 11 2011, 08:43 PM) Of course they do. That's why the infamous "clock bug" hit right after the PS3 slim was released to market.

smile.gif
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/912...n_leap_year_bug
Shit happens.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I remember the leap year bug
tongue.gif

my zune just kept restarting all day until the battery died

luckily you just had to wait 24hrs and it would fix its self

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Joe88 said:
ShadowSoldier said:

just not any regarding their game division yet, they just ban systems and accounts

Was referring to someone hacking their system.

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
ShadowSoldier said:
Really, is there a reason to BRAG in this legal document Sony? Really?
Yes, and it's not bragging. They have to prove to the courts that their products are widespread and well-known and is their source of income and shit as part of the case (to prove that they are being damaged and it's a serious thing for them). It's how these court cases work.
Slight problem. Yes, they are trying to prove to the courts that their products are widespread and well-known, but this guy JB'd a product that you have to buy to own. Sony was selling them at a cost, and they aren't making money for each and every firmware update. Sure, they can say that a JB'd PS3 will suffer stability issues, but that is the reason why they release updates. And their official updates don't offer much stability. My own PS3 froze on me 20 times in a year, and I was updating it as much as possible.

Is Jailbreaking Illegal? The Courts ruled a DMCA exemption for jailbreaking Iphones for non-infringing reasons. Is is practically the same thing. Your just making a modification that will allow you to run some code you want. Your not stealing their most secret information about them trying to take over the world. Your just wanting to put something on there that Sony doesn't approve of but isn't piracy related, like a homebrew game. That's what GeoHot did. He's been doing it for the iPhone, and any competent lawyer will point that out. It's when the consumer uses that JB to rip and pirate then it becomes illegal. But only for that user. When you jailbreak to be able to unlock and perform more things on it, you are trying to make the PS3 Statement true. "It Only Does EVERYTHING" Well, Jailbreaking just allows the end users to make true on that statement. It is basically their promise, and they are intending to show that the PS3 doesn't truly to "Everything". Heck, they stopped making it do everything when they took away the OtherOS feature based on Security concerns. Obviously they weren't looking in the right place.

And as stated earlier this week, the Private key is a bunch of numbers and letter, and knowing them is not a threat to National Security (As far as we know).

abel009

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
chartube12 said:
DarkWay said:
What if you don't connect your PS3 to your network in the first place?
This fails for purely offline users.

As for the "pirate" scene I'm sure someone(some people) can figure out a way to disable these checks.

Your ps3 would connect automaticaly to the nearest password-free wifi to send the logs.

thats impossible, any system(item) could and will not connect to a open free unprotected wifi unless it asks ur permission to connect.
stop with the BullSh*t

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
Trophies
XP
TravisProduckshins said:
Technically, they aren't allowed to do this though, right? After we PAYED FOR the console, we are allowed to do anything we want with it, excluding playing back-ups of games that you don't own. These log checks, do they check what we were playing/doing? (e.g., playing a blu-ray, back-up, homebrew, etc) If so, it still doesn't matter because if you own the game, you're technically allowed to make a back-up of it, i think. And how are they supposed to know which games you do or don't have?
When you buy the console, you agree to it's EULA. You've basically signed Sony's contract when you hand over the cash.

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There is one problem here. Sony can't willingly brick a console. They'd have to modifiy files on your system remotely and they can't do that.

Even if they could do that, they'd have to have the user's agreement to do that, because doing something like this without the user's consent is illegal.

If they could brick consoles, which they can't even do, it would break so many laws at once, that pirating games would make a person looks like a saint.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
Zetta_x said:
Therefore even if they have security that can be cracked, it should be ok to use it because it was not secure enough.

So if someone hacks into your bank account and steals all of your money or gets your info from an ATM machine that they hacked, it's okay and not illegal because it wasn't secure enough, therefore they shouldn't have to be punished?

That's exactly my point.

That was my response to this person's comment:

for sending a few kb's (maybe less) worth of data?

but again its the neighbors fault for not securing the connection

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
Joe88 said:
ShadowSoldier said:

Was referring to someone hacking their system.
Nintendo of America v. Bung Enterprises

ie: Doctor V64

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
QUOTE said:
7. TERMINATION

If SCE determines that you have violated the terms of this Agreement, SCE may take all actions to protect its interests, including denial of any services such as warranty services and repair services provided for your PS3™ system and termination of your access to PlayStation®Network, implementation of upgrades or devices intended to discontinue unauthorized use, or reliance on any other remedial efforts as reasonably necessary to prevent the use of a modified PS3™ system, or any pirated material or equipment. SCE and its licensors reserve the right to bring legal action in the event of a violation of this Agreement. SCE reserves the right to participate in any government or private legal action or investigation relating to your conduct.

With such precise rules, I'm not sure that it will be a piece of cake... The thing is, if they disable all JBed PS3, they'll lose some customers. And is bricking a system a "reasonable measure" ?

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Maybe a stupid this to say but... cant you just disable the WiFi hardware? Remove it or in any other way disable it?

I mean, most people with hacked PS3's dont go online anyway in fear of auto fw updates

Or am I thinking too logical here?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: how are you doing @K3Nv2