Sony Calls Out Ninty

Dangy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Nintendo may be hip to sell 3D handhelds, but Sony's having none of it.

Responding to Nintendo's surprise announcement yesterday that the company plans to release a 3D version of its popular DS handheld by March 2011, Sony's marketing director John Koller told IGN he believes works best in the console space.

"The amount of interest in 3D from the retail side and game publishers is off the charts," said Koller. "We know we have a hit with 3D on PS3 and we're going to concentrate our efforts there."

Sauce

Rogue_Ninja

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
all Ninty has to do is pair the 3ds with the new pokemon generation game and they will sell a ton. I know ill be reserving one.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think Sony has any validity anymore when it comes to "press statements". They'll just rip Nintendo off once they see how popular 3DS is, just like they did with their Wiimote ripoff. What a joke. They've really been making themselves look truly retarded lately with all their bullshit.

(this coming from someone who loves the PS1/2 and is weary of the Nintendo system shovelware, so don't accuse me of being a fanboy to strike back at this statement)

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CannonFoddr said:
Rogue_Ninja said:
all Ninty has to do is pair the 3ds with the new pokemon generation game and they will sell a ton. I know ill be reserving one.
But what if you HATE Pokemon games ......??
They would have something to back it up of course *cough Mario cough*
tongue.gif

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Poor, poor Sony, whatever happened to you? You used to be so nice, but lately all you seem to be doing is ripping off other companies, and calling them out... Tsk tsk...

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Overlord Nadrian said:
Poor, poor Sony, whatever happened to you? You used to be so nice, but lately all you seem to be doing is ripping off other companies, and calling them out... Tsk tsk...
They have been doing that since day one.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Indeed it has always been bad, Sony first got into the gaming market by being contracted by Nintendo to make a CD-addon for the Super Nintendo. You know, when that was all the rage to have those life support CD systems gang raping the original systems? Well that went sour when Nintendo didn't like some lines in the contract where Sony apparently had rights to use Nintendo's licenses as their own (something like that anyways). Nintendo ended up cutting the deal and trying to ally with Philips to make a CD addon (which also died of course). Sony didn't like that it would seem, because they decided to make their own system, possibly to spite Nintendo or something. At any rate, they've never been on good terms again. Not that game companies ARE ever on good terms. But Sony has gone so far as to develop systems which LOSE money in order to try to combat Nintendo. They attack Nintendo for "technical incompetence" at every opportunity, even when they don't even understand the technology they're attacking (like here when 3DS hasn't even been unveiled to anyone but Nintendo). Either that, or they rip it off for their own after it proves to be popular. Funny thing is, you don't see Nintendo attack Sony much. They seem to view them as something irrelevant. XD

And i'm sure it doesn't matter if one person in like 1000 doesn't like pokemon. There are plenty of rabid fans who will do anything to get their hands on the new game, including buying a system JUST to play it.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I think this Sony going 3D with the PS3 is a huge failure..................and they criticize Nintendo for trying something new with an handled built from scratch to support 3D......
They'll never succeed in the 3D realm for several reasons ( and mark my words ):

- The TV capable of 3D are very expensive and I don't see them being part of most of the households in the near 5 years or so.
- As much as I love stereoscopic 3D , the glasses are expensive( You think everybody is gonna buy some ?), heavy and uncomfortable to watch a 90 minutes movie, let alone a long gaming session.
- What about local mutliplayer ?
- And finally, my most important point ( that nobody seem to pay attention, everybody is concerned about the price ), is the PERFORMANCE.

I'm speaking about performance because I experienced nVidia 3D vision first hand, and I'm telling you that the video processor has to draw each frame twice ( one for each eye ) thus giving a certain hit on the performance of the PC, which can be easily compensated with s better video card , or faster processor.........but..........what about the PS3 ?
Programmers are already struggling when porting games from the 360 to maintain e decent framerate ( usually 30 fps ) and keep all the eye candy....
Are you telling me that games will be in 3D , gorgeous looking and still smooth to play ? No way man, I'm telling you.
They constantly try to improve A.I in games, and the graphic too, now tell me what's gonna happen when they will be forced by Sony to implement 3D as well ?
Games will have to be scaled down some how, or be less enjoyable.......couple that with the annoyance of wearing glasses and the expensive gear that you have to buy to make it all work..............

I'd like to be optimistic, and honestly I love 3D stereoscopic, but there is a reason why I didn't even bother to get the already available nVidia 3D for my PC...
I'm pretty sure that Sony will never make it in this generation, while Nintendo already has working 3DS prototypes somewhere and when htey'll present us the new technology, I'm sure it will be amazing, affordable, and hassle free.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all