Homebrew Sonic Continuum 3ds demo? (Also an announcement)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingtut

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Greetings everyone,

For those wondering where is our 3ds demo, we encountered some issues that prevented us from launching it on time. But we do have good news for you.

I am happy to announce that we are teaming up with Alerdy for the 3ds port.

For those who do not know him, Alerdy is experienced with developing and porting 3ds homebrew. He worked on:

1. Super Waluiiigi Simulator on the 3ds.

2. Super Mario 64 hd on the 3ds.

Along with plenty more 3ds mods that you can find here: https://www.youtube.com/Alerdy

I personally deeply apologize for not releasing the 3ds demo on time. We are working so hard to make it up to you. And I like to personally thank all of you because of your support. This support is what allows us to work with big names in the community and it will ensure us to make Sonic Continuum better and better.

Last edited by kingtut,

kingtut

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those wanting to know more details, we basically encountered a problem with how to release the game without Nintendo DMCAing the whole project.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Great to know that the 3DS port will come along :)
I am eagerly awaiting for the update, and Contiuum sure looks amazing!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

For those wanting to know more details, we basically encountered a problem with how to release the game without Nintendo DMCAing the whole project.
Nintendo can't DMCA the project because they don't own the full rights to Sonic, so you are safe there.
Even better, Sega usually is okay and at times even condones fan games and hacks.

Reactions: kingtut

kingtut

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great to know that the 3DS port will come along :)
I am eagerly awaiting for the update, and Contiuum sure looks amazing!

Nintendo can't DMCA the project because they don't own the full rights to Sonic, so you are safe there.
Even better, Sega usually is okay and at times even condones fan games and hacks.

So what happened was I used the Nintendo 3ds sdk to develop Sonic Continuum 3ds demo, and we got the demo running that is why we announced it during the September update.

At the time, I thought it was fine since anyone can get the 3ds SDK. but people with experience of law where pointing out that Nintendo could use their SDK as reason to DMCA the game. Since the code belongs to them, So in order to prevent Nintendo from pulling something we do not like about the game. We decided to talk to people who found other ways to develop 3ds homebrew without counting on the SDK.

That is the reason we didn't release the 3ds demo yet

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
So what happened was I used the Nintendo 3ds sdk to develop Sonic Continuum 3ds demo, and we got the demo running that is why we announced it during the September update.

At the time, I thought it was fine since anyone can get the 3ds SDK. but people with experience of law where pointing out that Nintendo could use their SDK as reason to DMCA the game. Since the code belongs to them, So in order to prevent Nintendo from pulling something we do not like about the game. We decided to talk to people who found other ways to develop 3ds homebrew without counting on the SDK.

That is the reason we didn't release the 3ds demo yet
Ah I see.
Fair point, I didn't know you were originally using Nintendo's leaked SDK.
Good move, it's better to go for a more homebrew attempt than to rely entirely on their SDK.

Then again, it would have been better if you guys simply signed up to get the development tools required for 3DS game development to avoid this.
But in anyway, your move was good enough, better to keep going the way you are.
Best of luck with the 3DS port!

kingtut

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah I see.
Fair point, I didn't know you were originally using Nintendo's leaked SDK.
Good move, it's better to go for a more homebrew attempt than to rely entirely on their SDK.

Then again, it would have been better if you guys simply signed up to get the development tools required for 3DS game development to avoid this.
But in anyway, your move was good enough, better to keep going the way you are.
Best of luck with the 3DS port!

We signed up for them legitimately. we obtained it directly from Nintendo following their rules. it is just that people were pointing out that using the SDK may require us to release it on the store, and since this is a fan game. We cant do that. And that is where the fears where coming from. But again, it was about us distancing ourselves as far away from Nintendo's code as possible.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
We signed up for them legitimately. we obtained it directly from Nintendo following their rules. it is just that people were pointing out that using the SDK may require us to release it on the store, and since this is a fan game. We cant do that. And that is where the fears where coming from. But again, it was about us distancing ourselves as far away from Nintendo's code as possible.
Yep, that's the downside to it.
In this case it is better to stay as far away from anything Nintendo related, without a doubt. Good call.
More so with how obnoxious and selfish they have been with their IPs, ROMs and code lately, better safe than sorry.

I will continue to follow you guys and the development of Continuum, hope Alerdy can help you guys out to accomplish what you had it mind :)

kingtut

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, that's the downside to it.
In this case it is better to stay as far away from anything Nintendo related, without a doubt. Good call.
More so with how obnoxious and selfish they have been with their IPs, ROMs and code lately, better safe than sorry.

I will continue to follow you guys and the development of Continuum, hope Alerdy can help you guys out to accomplish what you had it mind :)
Thank you so much for your kind words. and personally I have been impressed with what he can do with the 3ds so far.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Thank you so much for your kind words. and personally I have been impressed with what he can do with the 3ds so far.
Indeed, the 3DS is quite an underrated machine when it comes to graphics and engines, but it can certainly do great things, as demonstrated by Alerdy himself. I'm sure he's the right candidate to pull this off :)

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it was made in unity, is this legal to distribute? Other unofficial unity products are illegal due to use of the nintendo sdk.

kingtut

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's possible to port a unity project without the official sdk? Or is it being remade from the ground up in something like the retrobit engine?

We are still discussing it with Alerdy so we are still not sure what is the final method of doing it. but basically we are studying the other 3ds homebrew projects and see how they were developed

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We are still discussing it with Alerdy so we are still not sure what is the final method of doing it. but basically we are studying the other 3ds homebrew projects and see how they were developed
believe me linux 3ds would be a terrible idea btw. It's horribly unoptimized.

kingtut

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
believe me linux 3ds would be a terrible idea btw. It's horribly unoptimized.

well we are thinking of developing it using devkitarm, which is what people use to develop games for psp, wii, 3ds, etc. and we are going to start recruiting for that soon.

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well we are thinking of developing it using devkitarm, which is what people use to develop games for psp, wii, 3ds, etc. and we are going to start recruiting for that soon.
By that point you might as well use the retrobit/headcannon game engine. It's the engine sonic mania was made in and it already functions nicely on 3ds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: douche