Something really horrible.

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by alucard77, Aug 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Aug 30, 2010

Something really horrible. by alucard77 at 4:27 AM (9,241 Views / 0 Likes) 113 replies

1. alucard77
    OP

Member alucard77 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Hi All,

I am not a environmentalist by any form or means. But today, I saw quiet possibly one of the most disturbing things I have ever seen. I mean, I am not saying this is worse then some of the things that humans do to each other, but this is really sick.

This is a daily slaughter of dolphins that happens daily in Taiji, Japan. This meat is then sold to the people of Japan to eat. Besides the fact that this is sick, there are multiple points that are sicker then this:

1- The people of Japan have no idea they are eatting Dolphin, as the government allows them to mislabel their fish on purpose
    2- The dolphin meat contains the highest levels of mercury of any fish. Mercury is toxic and leads to permanent defects and effects children
    3- In order to drive the consumption of Dolphin meat, the Taiji government gave dolphin meat to all the schools in it's region. In Japan, you must eat the food the schools feed you.

So just put these things together. This is really sick. I know that this is no worse then Chickens, Cows and Pigs to some people. However, the majority of the world does not eat dolphin. Even in Japan, people are outraged about this. So why would people be this sick?

Just thought I would show you guys something different then the norm and useless stuff we talk about on a daily basis.

By the way, the movie I saw where this came from was called "The Cove". It is a documentary.

This is also a site on this if your interested.

http://www.takepart.com/thecove?fb_js_fbu=0

Here is a follow up I found:

Also found an article on the Mercury level in people in Japan who eat Dolphin / Whale meat:

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20090923f2.html

2. N4RU70 FR34K

Banned N4RU70 FR34K Banned

United States
    Just let them eat what they want to eat, I mean of course they're doing something bad but it's not like we can stop it, that's what Whale Wars or whatever that show is for.

3. monkat

Banned monkat I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.

United States
    Tis why I'm a vegetarian - cut down on demand for this.

4. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    TV shows have no effect on anything.

Poor dolphins, it's such a sad sight to see those animals being slaughtered [​IMG]

That said, I think there recently was some kind of whale-slaughtering competition (festival?) in one of the Nordic countries, but I'm not too sure. I find that people that participate in killing animals 'for fun' are sick and should all be imprisoned on a desolate island.

EDIT: October 2009, Denmark

Ugh. Stupid fucks.

5. BobTheJoeBob

Member BobTheJoeBob The most optimistic person on the temp. :)

United Kingdom
    Did you read his post? Dolphin has high mercury content and the people of japan don't even know their eating it. And the way their killing the dolphin's is inhumane. Dolphin's are also endangered.

6. Hells Malice

Member Hells Malice Are you a bully?

Canada
    Didn't watch the video because i've seen plenty before...
    But uh, just want to point out most 'top quality dolphin farm/slaughterhouses' attain the best tasting meat by torturing the dolphins before killing them, because the dolphins release something while being tortured makes the meat better.

I mean, NA/EU do some pretty sick stuff to farmed animals, but i'm pretty sure "torture the animal to make the meat better" isn't a common practice here.

7. Mantis41

Member Mantis41 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I saw that doco a little while ago and was left wondering; Why does watching the slaughter of dolphins make me fell sick yet if I watched cod being treated the same I would not have the same level of emotional response.

I guess Dolphins exhibit a much higher level of intelligence than other aquatic species such as fish so we hold the value of there lives a lot higher than we would another animal. Would you shed a tear if there was a documentary about a thousand ants behind slaughtered?

It has to do with the way we think. Is a Dolphins' life more important than a Cods’? I would say yes. So I am basing the value of the life of an animal on its' intelligence. Is this right or wrong...........?

You could argue the higher the intelligence the animal the more pain, emotion and other senses that animal will feel. So, therefore it becomes less and less ethical to slaughter a animal above a certain level of intelligence which I think is sound reasoning.

The question is, has a dolphin’s intelligence been artificially raised above that of a pig or a cow by shows such as flipper, and SeaWorld or are they truly a more advanced species that deserves more respect than we show other creatures on this planet.

Just thinking out loud here, and recalling some of the things that went through my mind when I first saw that documentary.

8. N4RU70 FR34K

United States
    @ BobTheJoeBob and Ellie LOL it was a joke, sort of...

9. Ryukouki

Member Ryukouki See you later, guys.

United States
    This is probably the most revolting thing I've ever seen. It's really sad to see something so innocent being cruelly butchered as if it were nothing. I saw this and was literally in tears after watching it. Why the blue FUCK are you Japanese fishermen killing something so innocent!? WHAT THE HELL DID IT DO TO YOU!?

10. N4RU70 FR34K

United States
    Because they're animals it's like how we kill cows, it's not that big of a deal also that's their job.

11. monkat

United States
    You are a fucking asshole. "It's like how we kill cows, it's not that big of a deal". Fuck. You. "Because N48180ruto20981-8f43q980-1k is an animal - it's like how we kill cows, it's not that big of a deal"

Just because a species doesn't have the same jaws and brains that we do doesn't mean that they deserve to be slaughtered in numbers far more than necessary for human survival.

Would we be able to sustain our current population on vegetable sources of food alone? No!

Do we need to eat a damn pig for every meal? Fuck no.

12. Shakraka

Member Shakraka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Dolphins are delicious; you guys don't know what you're missing out on. They are so goddamn tasty with sauté'd garlic and tartar sauce.

13. N4RU70 FR34K

United States
    They're people starving and dying of things like cancer and you're worried about save some freaking dolphins, they don't even benefit us (except for Japan because they eat them) anyways I win [​IMG]

14. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    Sea Shepard's job but they are at the end of the Earth in Antarctica. I do not approve of dolphin slaughter, you can't eat them so let them be free, I also don't approve of whale slaughter outside of tribal hunts by Inuit tribes (it's their culture and they had limits since the beginning of time).

15. ball2012003

ball2012003 Newbie

I agree with naruto freak. Sure dolphins are nice and all but still, this is the same thing as killing any other animal so why is everyone getting all worked up about this(besides the part where the feed it to people unknowingly)

16. injected11

Member injected11 Crescent Fresh™

United States

17. monkat

United States

18. _Chaz_

Member _Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

United States
    Not gonna lie... I lol'd

19. BloodyFlame

Member BloodyFlame GBAtemp Fan

United States

20. Shinigami357

Member Shinigami357 Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger

Philippines
    naruto freak finally cracked. "they're just animals," you say? well, let me educate you here for a bit. homo sapiens sapiens (read : humans) is also an animal. so according to you, this species is expendable? we just let the species run amok and kill each other, why not? it's fun and it makes for great documentaries and videogame sales. true, we kill to eat, but a huge percentage of the animals we eat day to day were raised, nearly pampered, kept in enclosures. rather than tortured and taken forcibly from their native habitats.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.