Suggestion Something needs to be done about spam.

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Lately there have been some malicious users spamming the site, but even before, occasionally there is 'generic' spam, like most forums get.
Can we not make the first 5, the first 10 posts of a user hidden and need to be approved by a mod to be shown?
So, other users will see nothing, or simply see 'awaiting moderation'.
And once a mod comes along and looks in the list, they can either approve the user/post or ban them.

It seems other forums have some things like this, why can't we have it here?
Is it too much work or something?

I just hate seeing people post junk here :)

Purple_Heart

GBATemp´s weirdest Individual
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
there is a dude named peter mary or something. i got kicked out of his thread cause i warned him to stop his nonsense. he should be banned. he says thinks like kill yourself, fckr,asshole and so on. he is harrasing devs like: @Aurora Wright @d0k3 and other devs

Last edited by Purple_Heart,

Drakia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
there is a dude named peter mary or something. i got kicked out of his thread cause i warned him to stop his nonsense. he should be banned. he says thinks like kill yourself, fckr,asshole and so on
You got kicked out of his thread because the staff closed it/banned him

K

KingpinSlim

I personally believe that all forum posts should require approval before they get posted.
We might need a lot more mods, but in the end i think it would be beneficial.

This is not Sarcasm.

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
It would take anyone with atleast a single brain cell 5 seconds to get past an IP ban, they're as useless as email address bans.
i have read a bit about shadow banning trolls, where they don't know they are banned so they keep on having their fun but no one can see it, and they (at least some) think that people are just bored and ignoring them :) better than just an immediate ban i think.
but it needs a bit more implementation on the forum, but many forum plugins/extensions have stuff like this i believe so it could be quite easy!

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally believe that all forum posts should require approval before they get posted.

This is not Sarcasm.
I think any kind of approval queue would be the best way of keeping this community at the same size it is. Who needs new members?

This is not sarcasm either.

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu

This is not Sarcasm.
ALL? well honestly that is crazy sorry.
first one ever, yes, maybe 5, maybe even the first 10 is pushing it.

XavyrrVaati

Hobbyist programmer?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think a peacekeeper sort of rank like a low level mod that can use mod powers on users that are less than a week or two days old. That way we have mini-mods for stupid tiny things that don't require a lot thinking or abstraction to deal with.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: man that was some good Chinese takeout