Some tips on generating Play Coins?

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by Pedeadstrian, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Pedeadstrian
    OP

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    So I got Soul Hackers yesterday. I don't like it so far, but I'm only like an hour or two in, so I'm gonna give it a chance first before I throw it across the room.

Anywhoo, players can use Play Coins to get access to stuff in the game (mostly demons from I can tell), and I was wondering if anyone knew some good tips to get Play Coins. Yes, I know you guys are gonna say walking, and I'm gonna do that, but I'd like even more. I'm thinking of strapping my 3DS onto my arm while I'm yanking it, because that will get me Play Coins and muscle mass.

Yes, I know I mentioned yanking it, but this is a serious question. Also: can you get Play Coins/steps while in game, or only when the 3DS is in the menu/sleep mode?

2. Devin

Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

GBAtemp Patron
    Devin is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    Any vibrating source will create fake steps with the 3DS' pedometer. If you put it on top of a washing machine or dryer that'd generate coin quickly. However you're limited to 10 coins a day unless you change the date on the 3DS.

As for the last question. Dunno.

gamefan5 likes this.
  3. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    You'll get Play Coins any time the 3DS/2DS is in sleep mode while on the system menu, in a 3DS game, or in a 3DS eShop title. You won't get Play Coins when DS games or DSiWare are running. Yes, the system MUST be in sleep mode to get play coins.

As far as walking with it... that's 1000 steps to get your max amount of pay coins for the day. That's not much... in an average day of work I'll grab anywhere between 7.5-14k steps (I work in retail). The only way to circumvent this is to change the date up/down throughout the day, but that's a hassle and really messes with other things that rely on date tracking.

4. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    Will once you exit.

5. Pedeadstrian
    OP

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    I think I'm gonna just use it like a hand weight while I'm watching TV or playing games that only require one hand, like Hearthstone. The best exercise I'll ever get.

6. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    use it as a pendulum just tie something to it and let it swing back and forth :P

7. ground

ground GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 22, 2007
    Netherlands
    tie it to the collar of the dog :ph34r:

8. mysticwaterfall

mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

Aug 11, 2008
    United States
    Right behind you
    I always just shook it like I was mixing a drink. Unlocked me all the characters in Lego Star Wars in no time.

9. Pedeadstrian
    OP

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    That's basically what I'm doing.
    Hey, that's a good idea. Let gravity do the work for me.

10. Pippin666

Pippin666 SSF43DE Master

Mar 30, 2009
    Canada
    Montreal, Qc
    Well you can walk ... Bring it to school or work. As for the second question, the answer IS in the manual.

Pip'

11. Pedeadstrian
    OP

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    Manual? Ain't nobody got time fo' dat!

MegaBassBX likes this.
  12. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng Wu-Wei

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Finding that out myself.
    I'll say becareful, never know if the gyroscope breaks.

13. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    If you go anywhere, drive anywhere, take public transport anywhere, just carry a backpack or something with the 3DS in it. Vibrations from the floor of a vehicle seem to shake the pedometer enough to knock up steps. Even if you're just walking, the 3DS being in the backpack will help to create about three to four steps generated for every one.

14. enarky

enarky owls?

GBAtemp Patron
    enarky is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 31, 2003
    Afghanistan
    So that's where playcoins come from. I'm jogging 7.5 km three times a week, but I'll be damned if I'm taking my 3DS XL with me. That thing weighs a ton. Going to try the washing machine route next time I wash.

15. mysticwaterfall

mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

Aug 11, 2008
    United States
    Right behind you
    Possible, but I've never heard of it happening. If it does I'm not really shedding a tear. Besides the AR games which I haven't played in forever I've yet to see a good use of gyro in a 3ds game.

16. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    System might not start without it though.

17. Jiehfeng

Jiehfeng Wu-Wei

Aug 15, 2012
    United States
    Finding that out myself.

I haven't heard too. Though I've seen warnings in play coin tips sites.

18. McHaggis

McHaggis Fackin' Troller

Oct 24, 2008
    I wish they'd increase the daily limit to 20 already. 10 might have made sense when there were only 10 puzzles to complete, only 1 StreetPass Plaza game, and only a handful of games making use of coins. Now, there's over 900 puzzle pieces to collect, more plaza games and more games taking your coins (like Animal Crossing, which can cost you 4 out of the 10 per day for the Nintendo stuff). I have about 725 puzzle pieces, and it costs me around 20-30 coins on average before I get a new piece.

19. soliunasm

soliunasm GBAtemp Fan

Oct 9, 2007
    United States
    Even with probability in your favor at 200/900 pieces I still only get a new piece every ten or so coins, it's driving me nuts. I've had Pikmin needing one final piece for at least half a year now.