Hacking Some stupid PS3 jailbreak questions

steam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when a new version of comgenie or gaia comes out, do just install over or we need to uninstall first?

i tot uninstalling also del the gamez folder...wouldn't that be a problem?

edit:...wait cyan said "Deleting Gaia manager will not delete your games because they are not stored in the manager's sub-folder."
biggrin.gif

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I think you understood it all correctly
tongue.gif

The best way to lern is to try it.

- put gaia.pkg on the root of your USB HDD. ("GAMEZ" version will store the games in the "dev_hdd0/GAMEZ/" internal folder, while BDRIPS will store games in dev_hdd0/BDRIPS/. It's only for the internal location. For external, it's always on the USB/GAMEZ/
- Put comgenie.pkg at the root too (if you need it), you can also try BlackB0x_FTP.pkg (1.1, or 1.2 if it's working fine for you)

- run the console in debug mode, then go to the menu "install package Files" and you will see the .pkg present on the root of your external USB.
Select them to install the package to the internal.

- To run games, start the console in debug mode every time. then connect the external USB with GAMEZ folder on the root of the USB.
If your game is an "external compatible" game, just put the BLESxxxx (or any other name) in the USB:/GAMEZ/ folder, Then run the intalled application "Gaia Manager".
It will then list all games found in the HDD0/GAMEZ/ (or HDD0/BDRIPS) and USB/GAMEZ/

- Select the game and press X to reboot to XMB with the game loaded in memory.
- Go to the menu "PS3 Game" located just before the "install package", it will load your game from here.

Some games need a disc in the drive. If that's the case, run the game from the disc icon instead.

Some games may have files bigger than 4GB, and can't be copied to FAT32, so launch the FTP server and connect to the PS3 from an FTP client on your computer.
navigate to dev_hdd0/gamez/ and tranfer your game folder into it.

Another thing : You don't need to uninstall managers to update or try another one. Just install the new one, it will update/replace the old one with the same GameID.

steam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
awesome man...thanks!

in a forum world where its hard to get a straight answer...dammit ur alright!
biggrin.gif

-i'm trying to use the FTP server thing...neither comgenie or gaia provides that functionality right? I need to install another piece of software?..like that blackbox u mentioned? coz yeah, i wanna try ftp to the ps3.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ah, some Manager include the ftp server, you are right.

Gaia should have one, it's just that I never used it so I forgot
tongue.gif

Just don't enable the FTP while you have the "mem patch" enable.

it changes the File and folder access right, and may render the game unreadable with some manager/payload combinations.

Thanks for the compliment
tongue.gif

I always try to help as much clear as I can.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Mem patch :
An option in many managers to enable or disable a special memory patching mode (the patch is in memory, not a game option, and affect every operation while this mode is enable. game dumping, file transfer, playing game, etc.).
The memory patching is still in effect even after exiting the manager and going back to XMB. So running BlackB0x FTP is also affecting by this mode.

It changes the File and folder access right, and may render the game unreadable with some manager/payload combinations.

Some games need it, but they are very specific games, you will know when you have to use it.
You can check the compatibility list too, these kind of game will have comments about the "patched mode" or "mem patch".

In the meantime, just stay away of this mode.

steam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm currently using ftp server on Gaia...turned it ON and now connected via pc ftp.

ftp into /dev_hdd0/GAMEZ

1st test was ftp'ing SAW2...and several times i got msg that target file exists, overwrite?
isn't that weird?? i just said OK to overwrite..

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
What FTP client are you using ?

Maybe it's running more that 1 thread at a time, so there are files collision ? (just a supposition)

Or I heard it needed to connect in Active mode instead of passive. But I'm using an old FlashFXP (1.4.3) in passive mode and all is working fine for me.
Filezilla had some problem with Blackb0x FTP if I remember. You can try FlashFXP if you haven't.

steam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
filezilla..

after a while i gave up and just said Overwrite them all already..

i didn't set anything...but i see 2 uploads at a time so i think thats the default #

yes, PASV mode was getting thrown back, it worked but it'd complain that the ps3 didn't understand it so i asked filezilla to just do ACTIVE

...will go test now...

steam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
-any info on game updates?
i have PS3UPDAT.PUP files for some games...do u guys install them? if so, how? lots of conflicting info on net unfortunately

-is it normal for games to say they '..need to install stuff onto the hdd before continuing' or something like that when you start them?

steam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmm..i guess those pup files are firmware updates...ok then i guess i should just del them before putting onto my hdd

Anorhc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since this thread is pretty informative, I'll ask a simple question:

What's the deal with logging the Game ID LAUN12345? I know there were people making a big deal about it because the PS3 keeps a log of IDs of things that were ran on it, do these managers have a way of launching without telling Sony: "Hey, this is a hacked PS3."

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
We actually don't know what Sony is watching to find pirated console.
The easiest way is of course "check the play history", as the game managers have unofficial gameID.

So some users released a "Backup Manager 1.0" with modified ID, replaced by official game ID so Sony won't see a homebrew was ever launch IF the detection was based on the play history log file.
That was back when there was only a Backup Manager that could be launched on the console.

Using a Stealth backup manager now has really no purpose if you already, even 1 time, launched a homebrew without a stealth ID.
So, if you installed Comgenie, FTP server, Snes emulator, etc. etc. your log file is already "infected" by a non official gameID.

Now, Gaia Manager have a new feature in its changelog "clean the logfile". But there's no documentation on how to do it.

Of course, all this "stealth" behavior is only in the hypothetical log file checking by Sony.
But I'm sure they are checking pirated console by any other ways.

Since november 18th, They can now detect even block PSN to console reporting the correct Firmware version, so they sure have a way to detect the console is/as been in debug mode.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-