Hardware Some sort of side grips (tablet mode) maybe?

Nazosan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One thing I've been wondering is if there might be some reasonable way to rig up something really simple to at as grips for the sides when using the Switch in tablet mode (namely Voez, but surely more games will benefit from this in the future.) It can be kind of uncomfortable to hold the Switch with those metal slide rails on the side, but with the Joycons attached it is much wider and far more uncomfortable (if not impossible) to use in tablet mode. What I'm sort of imagining here is something like those little plastic pieces that attach to the Joycons themselves when using each separately. These things are very small and something about their size would probably be ok. What I sort of originally imagined doing was taking broken Joycons from eBay or whatever and taking out the side part that connects to the Switch and putting it on those little pieces so they would just slide right onto the Switch. The problem is, Joycons are insanely expensive and you don't actually see them selling broken on eBay for $5 or something. So that idea is unreasonable.

Is there anything else out there that might be adaptable to this sort of purpose? Something really small and thin so it doesn't become uncomfortable to actually use though...

Nazosan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The joycon thing won't work due to the reasons I mentioned. There are no schools or libraries around here with 3D printers that they'd let some random stranger just come in and use.

Also, I lack the ability to really do CAD design or whatever for such a 3D printer even if I had access to one.

Last edited by Nazosan,

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only reasonable way to do that is 3d printing. Btw you got real pissy because of that suggestion, which was uncalled for really. Unless you have tools to precisely measure and cut to make grips from something like wood, which based on your 3d printer comment I'm going to assume you also don't have that. Which those two are really your only options

Nazosan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No I didn't. I stated a fact. There are no such places near me and I lack such an ability. I disagree that it's the only way though. It's the only easy way. The chief problem here is finding something that would fit sufficiently to hold somewhat. And it doesn't have to be perfect either. It just has to hold in well enough to get the job done. (It would really help if the rails went the other way though. It could be almost completely loose if it weren't for that.)

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No I didn't. I stated a fact. There are no such places near me and I lack such an ability. I disagree that it's the only way though. It's the only easy way. The chief problem here is finding something that would fit sufficiently to hold somewhat. And it doesn't have to be perfect either. It just has to hold in well enough to get the job done. (It would really help if the rails went the other way though. It could be almost completely loose if it weren't for that.)
You stated a fact in a sarcastic rude way. They suggested 3d printing, then you come back with "well are you buying me a 3d printer". Just the way you said it was unnecessary considering it was a legitimate suggestion.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There's really no reason to get all uppity, any of you. Yes i understand you may have some difficulty getting access to a 3d-printer, but it's honestly the most universal and elegant solution to most problems like this.

The most important thing is that you need something to cover the rails without damaging or contaminating them. That's... pretty easy, but finding the exact item may be difficult. You need something like a 4-5" long strip of rubber or firm plastic that you can slide into the rail easily but have it stay put. Possibly weather stripping? I'd say literally go to local hardware and auto parts stores and see if you can find something similar to this or at least something you can modify to work.

845087.jpg

Reactions: Deleted User

Nazosan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's really no reason to get all uppity, any of you.
I'd rather we just didn't waste time fussing at each other and etc in the first place frankly. It simply doesn't belong.

Yes i understand you may have some difficulty getting access to a 3d-printer, but it's honestly the most universal and elegant solution to most problems like this.
No doubt, but, as I said, it's not just lack of access -- I also lack the knowhow to really use CAD design and etc to somehow design something just right to really fit. I get the usefulness and advantages of them, but I don't think it should be assumed that just everyone can just use a 3D printer at will. That's the outlier, not the standard.

Possibly weather stripping? I'd say literally go to local hardware and auto parts stores and see if you can find something similar to this or at least something you can modify to work.
Well that's a unique way of going about it. I haven't ever seen anything like that that was that small before though. I think probably not my local hardware store. I may have to go a bit further. It gives me other ideas too along the way though. Lowes tends to have lots of odds and ends including, perhaps, maybe some sort of strips of metal or something of that sort. I wonder if I might find something that could easily be cut to fit and just screw or glue it into something else. The question is: how do I make it stay in place but be removable then? It strikes me that if it's just a really tight fit or otherwise really resistant to sliding (for example, if it were coated with a rubber or something) maybe it would hold sufficiently since often enough in tablet mode I end up holding much more than just the sides anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up