Homebrew Some questions.

imran_ali

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly want to say thanks to all those who helped in my first thread (https://gbatemp.net/threads/homebreew-vwii-but-not-wii-u.519884/#post-8324565)

I now have haxchi on my wiiu, replaced the brain training game so all working fine. Got a fair few wii u games working.

So some questions.

Using usb helper tool, it says there is dlc available for a few games, am I safe in downloading the dlc and transferring it to my wiiu? The wiiu never goes online, apart from once when I had to download the brain training game from the eshop. It doesn't even have a wifi access point configured.
Can I change the region (in usb helper tool) download usa games, will they play on my uk pal wiiu?
Can I have both my vwii usb plugged in at the same time as my wii u hdd. The wii u hd is using a y plitter, plugged into the back, can I plug my vwii usb stick anywhere and have both running at same time?

Emulators.
My son wants to play some games that are on the snes, namely Super Punchout!! for the snes. I have the game downloaded it is in a .wad file. Name is Super Punch-Out!! (Europe) (SNES) (Virtual Console).wad
Is it the same as installing normal wads? (I used MMM to install some wads)
Do I need a snes emulator to run the game?
Any ideas/tips as to how to download and install a snes emulator that will work?

And finally, can we donate to gbatemp? Purely as a thank you for the help :)

Last edited by imran_ali,

Litle_Bird

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
1) If you download DLC from USB helper, the ticket (i.e. license for you account) will not be legit, by running haxchi cfw you will enable signature patching, bypassing the check if the ticket is legit.
So yes, you can download DLC and install, however you need to run Haxchi first or else the game won't start.

2) You don't need to change the region in usbhelper (Don't think you can either) But Haxchi CFW also has region patches, thus enabling out of region games to run. (A few games won't run by Haxchi CFW only, then you need to run a homebrew app called "Spiik"

3) Both can be plugged in, however the Wii U will nag you about the Wii harddrive not being formated for Wii U use, this can be avoided by the application "Ustealth" (a pc application). However Flash drives are generally not recomended either for the Wii U nor the Wii.

Emulators:
1) Yes and no... You're always to be careful when installing wads as they could en up bricking your system (Banner brick, malicious content of wad, the wad claiming to be a game but in reality is a broken systemmenu etc) I think the easiest way to counter this is using an EMUnand in USB loader GX, or running an Emulator on the Wii U side.
2) Well in the WAD that is a game nintendo released, it is just ready to play. But if you want to play the rom via a Emulator, on the Wii U side, check out some emulators in the Wii U homebrew store, or just grab retroarch (There is a thread on it here on the forum) but I'm not really up to date on which emulator core you want.

imran_ali

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's clarifies a lot :D

Will look into ustealth. Can I have the vwii usb plugged into one of the two front usb ports? My wiiu hd is currently using both rear usb ports.

So if I download a wad, I can just play it? with no messing around or anything, its just the roms that need emulators and messing around yes?

So Super Punch-Out!! (Europe) (SNES) (Virtual Console).wad will play just fine, after I have installed it using mmm?

EDIT
Had a thought, I downloaded and installed using MMM Doc Louis Punch Out, on the vwii, all fine.

Can I install the new wads im looking at, so they show up under the wiiu, or do all wads only show up under the vwii.

Reactions: Litle_Bird

Litle_Bird

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
1) The wii drive would have to be plugged into the bottom back usb-port, other wise it will not work with cIOS. But yes, the two drives should be able to be plugged in at the same time. Have the Wii U drive in the front and the Wii drive in the bottom back port. (And if you're using a y-cable for the Wii Drive aswell, keep the cable with the data connections in the bottom port)

2) Well you would have to install the WAD, otherwise yeah once installed they're ready. Well, mess and mess... You download the emulator from HBappstore (on wii u) and can update the emulator itself from there. For roms, you place them in a folder on the SD-card and that's it.

3) WADs are vWII only, You should be able to inject them in Wii VC but I'm not that experienced on that, check out https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-wiivc-injector-script-gc-wii-homebrew-support.483577/ I think it's possible

Reactions: imran_ali

imran_ali

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
wow, seriously thanks for you help, if I can get both wiiu hd and vwii usb plugged in at the same time, I don't mind the wads not showing up under the wiiu, kids can just fire up the vwii, I was just concerned that I don't want the kids pulling out and reinserting the usbs and destroying the usb slots as kids will always do!

Ive seen youtube videos of people playing super punchout on the wii u handheld controller, if the wads are for vwii then the wiiu controller doesn't work....so how are the games being played on the wiiu controller....

Litle_Bird

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Oh a video from Nintendo, This one is made for the wii u, thus not a ".wad". eShop content is also present in WiiU-Usbhelper. Altough all eShop content will have a fake ticket so you will need to run Haxchi before running the game

imran_ali

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
thank you!! managed to get the wad's installed :D, might give the eshop stuff a miss for the time being, appreciate your help!

One problem, though, if I have both removable storage plugged in, i.e vwii usb in the back (bottom port) and wiiu hd plugged in the front two slots, the vwii never seems to see the rear usb, always says cannot initialise usb storage, if I remove the wiiu hd the vwii works fine sees the rear usb.

If I have just the vwii usb plugged in, the wiiu does not say format the usb, and in storage settings it says nothing is plugged in, weird....

I am going to change the usb stick to a hd tonight and see how that goes.

The wads, some of them say please plug in your wii classic controller into your wii controller. I have one, plug it into the wii controller, and nothing happens. For example, mario64 and super punch out, both ask for a classic controller.
This is what I have https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic_Controller but none of the wads seems to recognise it. Do I need a wii u specific classic controller?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo