some questions about DSTWO(emulation)

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by Langin, Jan 10, 2010.

Jan 10, 2010
  1. Langin
    OP

Member Langin GBAtemp's kpop addict

Netherlands
    Well I have 4 questions:

1. Does DSTWO have perfect GBA competilety?(I mean can it play all games patched or on-patched?)
    2. the same as 1 but then for SNES
    3. Can it play .avi files?(I think so but maybe it cant!)
    4. Is it an NeXt generation card?(I mean is it better that dsione,Ak2i etc.)

well I dont know if they are awsered yet but I am to lazy to use the search button.

2. megawalk

Member megawalk The Legendary SRW Addict

Netherlands
    it can be considered as a Nex Generation in my opinion.
    Supercard team wouldn't release emulation on those flashcards if things didn't run 100% so thats why the used some iPlayer stuff.
    .avi files ? nobody knows if it were i would watch my anime's all the way

3. Langin
    OP

Netherlands
    well oke thanks for awsering my questions, I hope my grammer wasnt to horrible but now I am up-todate again! [​IMG]

4. Danny Tanner

Member Danny Tanner GBAtemp Fan

United States
    None of us have any idea because of how few details have been released and how it's not out yet. I tend to think the cake is a lie and in a few years DSTWO will be a lot like R4 is today. I see a lot of hype over this card, but I'm not really sure why.

5. Langin
    OP

Netherlands
    well the hype is GBA and SNES and DS games thats in a few words but if you want it clear:
    they want to play ds,GBA and snes games on one card

btw. wat do you mean with `` I tend to think the cake is a lie and in a few years DSTWO will be a lot like R4 is today``? the r4 part do I understand but the first...

6. Uncle FEFL

Member Uncle FEFL OBJECTION!

United States
    It's just an idiom here in the US. Think of SCDSTwo as a cake, and that cake being over hyped. When we finally get a piece, it won't be what we thought it was, thus it being a lie somewhat.

It may also be outdated one day.

7. lukands

Member lukands I took the little bus here

Estonia
    I do have to agree playing SNES and GBA straight off the card would be nice.
    But at this point its wait and see.

8. Seraph

Member Seraph GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    It's hilarious you think it's a idiom that originated in the US...it's an internet meme that came from Portal...You see a lot of the hype for DSTwo and don't know why? It has the extra power that the iPlayer has to be able to run a fully working GBA emulator...Now do you see? A lot like the R4 today? Supercard has been there since the beginning and supported their carts. If the DSTwo has become outdated it would be because they have released a newer card, either for the DSi or Nintendo's new handheld. No one thinks it's going to do everything...just GBA, SNES, and video playback.

9. Danny Tanner

United States
    Actually though, I have seen a lot of threads and posts here with people really playing up the benefits of a card that doesn't exist yet. If its sales are anything like what is reflected here, it will become the standard, and clones will pop up, that was the R4 reference, and one of the drawbacks of an over-centralized card. We don't know if the SCDS2 will have emulators or how good they will be, but many many people are very hyped. Either way, there will never be perfect SNES emulation, because sprite scaling will have to occur. If you don't mind sprite scaling, one of the already availible SNES-on-DS emulators probably does you fine already.

I've had two supercard products, SCDS1 and slot-2 device. Both had pretty lackluster performance and support overall, compared to my other carts. That's why I don't have my hopes up.

10. Uncle FEFL

Member Uncle FEFL OBJECTION!

United States
    Who cares? [​IMG] Besides this site, I go on RHS, 0shippingzone, IGN, and Serenes Forest. Nothing else. Besides Google searches anyway. I don't really keep up with meme's. I didn't even know what one was until a couple months ago...

11. Seraph

Member Seraph GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    It's not a big deal...I just found it funny for being completely wrong...but who cares?

12. Danny Tanner

United States
    First of all, you have no idea if it will have emulators. The world of flash carts is very fickle, and there's no way to confirm anything until something is released. Even if it does have emulators, there is no way of telling how decent they will be. Second, I don't see how DSTWO could have hardware that is so radically different that it is difficult to reproduce. It will probably have RAM expansion, and that isn't a huge deal to recreate. And we don't know the price.

Let me just walk through this. A cheap R4 did not produce clones. It was a very centralized card at that point (partially because it was one of the first). People trusted the R4 brand because of its widespread use, and that was (one of) the reason for clones. If DSTWO is expensive, that's one more reason for clone cards to exist- undercut the price of real DSTWO to a market that is thirsting for this card.

But there's no sense talking about this until the card comes out, if it comes out. All we're doing now is working off speculation.

13. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    I've not read the entire thread, but some people seem ignorant of the DSTWO entirely.

1- the card WILL have new emulators confirmed by the Supercard team themselves, coded by their own guys, or at least their employees. That is, a SNES and GBA emulator are confirmed at the very least. They will be different from others, the SNES one at least. The hardware would be completely squandered otherwise.

2- the card has MUCH more powerful internal hardware than the DS itself. Inside the card, there is a 400mhz processor and 32MB extra memory. And that is only what we know for sure, we don't know the exact specs, but this is what is given to us. That is more than 4 times as powerful as the DS alone, and that power is stacked ON TOP of the normal DS specs. So, all in all, you have almost 500mhz raw clock speed and about 36MB of raw memory. Not including all the extra specs.

Now unless Supercard team outright LIED about both the hardware specs and the existence of built in emulators, they're there, and anyone saying it doesn't exist is the one who is lying. As it is, Supercard team is a very reputable company. They have a booming history of really good support and not dropping support for their old cards like other companies do.

14. Danny Tanner

United States
    On November 20, we were told we'd see pics and video of the SCDS2 'in the coming weeks' (See Here). I don't think this is a fault on GBAtemp's part but the team itself. Now, things moving along more slowly than expected, or delays or whatever, fine, that's no crime, and is to be expected. However, we've gotten two updates on this cart, and many people are very very excited about it. I'm not saying it won't happen, but with such little information, there's little reason for the hype.

tl;dr pics or it didn't happen

15. granville

United States
    We did see pics of the new firmware. Pay attention. This firmware was later revealed to be for both the DSTWO AND the DSone. This also shows their commitment to support for older cards. No a lie by any account. The team even handed out a closed beta version of the firmware to some members of their forum, so their words are very real. And the Supercard team is not obligated to release these pics or videos.

Basically, if they say a new card is in the works, it is. And if you didn't read the post, don't respond to it. If your attention span is too short to read a tiny post like that, you don't need to be replying to this thread.

And what "fault" is there here? No one did anything wrong... Nothing at all happened, besides the announcement of a new card and firmware. You're the one pulling bull out of your ass.

For pics, go read some topic, i'm not going to baby you. There is a search function. Use your brain if you have one.

16. Danny Tanner

United States
    The one who needs a brain is you. That post I cited promised pics and video of the DSTWO in action, nothing about the new firmware. There is no 'fault' just people overreacting to a cart that doesn't exist yet. Nintendo is a reputable company. They promised a CD add-on to the Super Nintendo. It never happened. You guys are either bordering on fanboyism or just get excited too easily.

17. granville

United States
    Lol, the SNES CD. Fail analogy. That fell through due to legal reason, an issue not present here. The SNES CD actually did exist. Supercard is a reputable company, no reason to doubt their word. Unlike yours which is just bashing it right now. The post didn't promise anything. It said stay tuned for pics and videos in the coming days or weeks. Which may have really been a mistranslation. Supercard team are chinese based. GBAtemp could have misunderstood "soon" as in days or weeks.

Gotta love whenever someone throws the word fanboy around too. That seems to be everyone's word to use when they want to criticize someone for liking something. Nice...

18. mercluke

Member mercluke ‮҉

Australia
    that was the product of two companies having disputes and deciding to go their separate ways, supercard is a single company,they are not working with others to produce this card so why should it fall through like the snes cd add-on? (which was released, just not as an add-on to snes)

edit: typo, "best"/"bets"

19. Danny Tanner

United States
    Just because support 'exists' does not mean it's good. Evolution OS doesn't look all that great based on what I've seen. I'll gladly take older efficient EZ team software (on a slot-2 device) to comparatively-worse Supercard software. I've never had a reason to break out my Supercard, in every single instance another card has been better. And it's not like this support gets updated all that often...

granville, it doesn't matter the reason why SNES CD fell through, but it did fall through. TONS of things in this industry fall through. I'll be sure though, if I ever start a scam business to come to you first since you seem like you either believe everything you read, or you trust (*possibly mistranslated,* by your own admission) press releases. Buy some stock!

20. granville

United States
    Your logic fails because Supercard never has made a promise they haven't kept. There's not even a promise, just a flashcard announcement with features. Take that as you will, but you won't get anywhere saying it isn't happening. I'll take their word over yours.

It's not an unfulfillable promise either. The iPlayer is like a prototype of the DSTWO. It shares the same hardware and has done well so far. It's $35 on DX, which should give you a fair estimate of the price. And it's functional all except commercial rom loading, which DSTWO will have.