Hacking some psp go questions

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i've skimmed over the FAQ and hacking stickies and i'd just like to know when the PSP Go has to have been bought for it to be downgrade-able to 6.20

also, what is the advantage of having 6.20 over the latest firmware (6.39 i believe), as far as i can tell it's that 6.20 can have a full custom firmware installed while 6.39 can't, however i don't really see the advantages

and finally, do you think it would be better to buy the go at Walmart brand new for $100 or from ebay and try to find one that can be downgraded to 6.20

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
If the Go comes with 6.20 or less, it can be downgraded to 6.20. As far as we know every Go comes with 5.70.

With a partial/temporary hack like 6.35/6.39, you have to run a hack each time you power the machine on.

Honestly I'd get one from Walmart. The chances of getting one that can't use 5.70 is extremely small (I have not seen any proof of a Go coming with higher than 6.20, ever), and even if it comes on the latest firmware the only thing you're missing is the permanent hack, which is a small thing.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh wow, i feel stupid now

i thought that they only shipped with the latest firmware, and couldn't be downgraded past that firmware

thanks for clearing that up

oh, and could you explain what the permanent hack is? i thought it was a big thing for being the only way to have plugins or something

Cbajd5

Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Well any PSP Go can be downgraded now, and as far as I know they're all downgradeable to 6.20 as well, as they've only made 3000s that can only go back to 6.35 after production stopped of the Go. So it doesn't really matter where you buy it from, got mine from Gamestop used for $100 recently before the 6.38/9 downgrader was out.

The 6.20 CFW is a pretty much fully featured permanent CFW, while some plugins don't work for it. It can still get on PSN to play online when the PSn is up and for a time could even get into the store while it was still down (you couldn't buy anything or even browse the store but you could download games/content you already purchased or downloaded in the past), but I think with 6.39 it can't anymore based on a change to the store's server at the same time. The only issue is that some legally bought things that require a higher firmware won't run properly still without you having to do something else, which has at least stopped me from viewing the Patapon 3 Video Strategies.

I don't think there's been any new OFW features since 6.20, though I am not entirely sure.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Terminator02 said:
oh wow, i feel stupid now

i thought that they only shipped with the latest firmware, and couldn't be downgraded past that firmware

thanks for clearing that upA PSP cannot be downgraded past the firmware it comes with.
However PSPs often don't come with the latest firmware. It's not like Sony can magically upgrade the firmware of a PSP that's already in the store. PSPs in the store have often been in there for weeks, if not months (lol Go), and before that they were in transport, in a warehouse... it's often been a few weeks to months since a PSP was assembled (which is when the firmware is written, and it's whatever the latest at the time of it's physical assembly).

QUOTE(Terminator02 @ May 29 2011, 07:35 PM) oh, and could you explain what the permanent hack is? i thought it was a big thing for being the only way to have plugins or something
You don't need to re-run the hacking thing each time your turn the PSP on (from fully off).

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Terminator02 said:
if that's really the only advantage should i just leave my psp go with the latest firmware? i don't really see any reason to downgrade it anymore
Yes, saving 18 seconds* each time you cold-boot the go is the only advantage of the permanent Pro 6.20 compared to the lite version.

*I timed it
tongue.gif
Yes, I need to get a life
tongue.gif

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Terminator02 said:
mmk, one last question, is there any reason at all to go with the 3000 instead of the psp go? i don't own any UMDs so that isn't a problem
3000 +'s

bigger screen
better d pad and buttons (this appears to be the majority opinion)
better battery life
cheaper
non-proprietary cable

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Snailface said:
Terminator02 said:
mmk, one last question, is there any reason at all to go with the 3000 instead of the psp go? i don't own any UMDs so that isn't a problem
3000 +'s

bigger screen
better battery life
cheaper
non-proprietary cable

another plus is you can rip umd with the 3000.

tenko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Snailface said:
Haah, I'm in the minority then. Yeah, the biggest loss of the Go is the screen size. Not that the Go's screen looks bad, it's just that the 2000/3000's look better.

Can you really waltz into a Walmart and buy a new Go off the shelf? Because you're lucky. I went through 5 stores unsuccessfully (2 Gamestops, 1 Fry's, 1 Target, 1 Walmart) before I finally found one. And yeah, its firmware was 5.70. Unless you go to a store that opens and reseals the boxes, you should expect the same.

Varia

Trophies
XP
Country
Wow... did you seriously see a new PSP Go at walmart for only $100?
ohmy.gif

Sorry for going off topic, but I'm actually planing to get one too. A friend of mine will be going to the US in a week or so, what are the chances
he will encounter one in a near-by walmart for only $100? I mean, their site doesn't say a thing about it :/

DominoBright

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't say for sure what the chances would be, but when I searched for a Go, I didn't find one in Wal-Mart, so he will probably have to check at a GameStop, or buy one online or something.

Varia

Trophies
XP
Country
Damn it, but it's $200 at gamstop ><
Why don't they lower the price? I doubt anyone buys them...
Sorry for hijacking your topic.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
The price for a new PSP Go at all the Wal-Marts I have checked is $200, the same as Gamestop. You can get a used one at Gamestop for $100 though. Also, their replacement plan for the used Go is only $10, which is worth it (IMHO) in case you have a brick as it is more or less "no questions asked".

AC/DS

Trophies
XP
Country
tenko said:
Snailface said:
Haah, I'm in the minority then. Yeah, the biggest loss of the Go is the screen size. Not that the Go's screen looks bad, it's just that the 2000/3000's look better.

I'm in the minority too. My feeling is the Go's buttons are perfectly fine. Also, in my perception the Go's screen is actually BETTER than the 3000's.
Looking closely at my Go's screen, I struggle to see those interlacing issues some 3000's have had. My Go also does not have any sign of a halo effect, and the picture is in my opinion a little sharper. I might just be lucky though.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The screen is a bit smaller but I've found that the smaller size makes games look a lot crisper and rounded. I was recently playing Burnout Legends (a game I've played a lot on my old PSP 1000) and the game itself looks a lot better (I know the 1000 lacks some of the power and colors as future models but there's definitely an improvement).

As per buttons, the entire control space can be a little cramped for some but I find it fine. I've been playing The Third Birthday on it recently and it feels fine (and it uses pretty much every button on the system).

Battery life is also fine too. I can't compare it to a 3000 (since I don't own one) but it'll last you a good enough time.

The biggest downside of the PSP from a pirating standpoint is probably the USB port, since it's unique to the system and a complete pain to go from your charger to your PC and back constantly, but otherwise it's a great system.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i guess i didn't realize how lucky i was to find it, i also went into a local gamestop and they didn't have any new or used, they said $200 for a new 1 and $100 for a used one

me thinks i'll be visiting walmart again soon

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"