Some info please

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Sativa., Jan 19, 2012.

Jan 19, 2012

Some info please by Sativa. at 8:32 PM (674 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. Sativa.
    OP

Newcomer Sativa. Member

United Kingdom
    Hi guys and girls im steve.
    I recently got a computer(2011) and have been teaching myself how to use it, anyway at work i was asked if i wanted my wii chipped but declined but decided to do some research. I managed to find a guide and softmodded my wii 4.3e adding homebrew channel and usbloader GX then purchased a 8gb usb storage device as i wasnt sure if it would work. To my amazement it did!!
    Baring in mind ive only tried 1 game and it worked (Tiger Woods 2012 masters) i was wondering if only certain games play on usb loader or do all wii iso's work on usb loader?

Im also thinking of buying a 500gb Western digital elements 3.0 HD anyone know if this works?

Any help would be much appreciated. :D Thanks

2. Mr. Prince

Member Mr. Prince GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Saudi Arabia
    I don't think that USB 3.0 works that good with wii.

3. Sativa.
    OP

Newcomer Sativa. Member

United Kingdom
    It
    It says 2.0 and 3.0 i was recommended this but dont want to go ahead till definately sure. Also im pretty sure they have stopped selling the 2.0 only 500gb HD

4. smf

Member smf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I heard that, but I know someone who uses a 3.5" WDC USB 3.0 drive.

5. obcd

Member obcd GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Belgium
    Most games work with an usb loader. I have best results with a laptop 2.5 inch harddisc in a low cost usb enclosure.
    The enclosure doesn't even cost 20 euro, and you can eventually return the harddisk if it doesn't work on the wii (If you buy it in a local shop.)

6. Lucif3r

Member Lucif3r GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    Theres a big gamble with usb3 drives. They have less compability than usb2 drives. Most(not all) usb2 drives works fine, while probably more than half of the USB3 drives doesnt work as they should on the wii.

7. Sativa.
    OP

Newcomer Sativa. Member

United Kingdom
    If anyone knows a HDD that works 2.0 that i can buy in the shops :lol: . if a HDD is 2.0 and 3.0 portable is there a cable for each. (WD 5oogb 2.0 3.0 usb)im a noob so bare with me..

8. Ryoku83

Member Ryoku83 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Elements-500GB-Portable/dp/B002COI612/ref=sr_1_9?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1327013105&sr=1-9

9. obcd

Belgium
    A 3.0 cable is compatible with 2.0. If you connect it to a 3.0 port, some extra connections are made.
    This isn't the case with usb 2.0 and 1.1 which only use 4 pins in the connector.

10. Sativa.
    OP

Newcomer Sativa. Member

United Kingdom
    Does this mean i can use a HDD with 3.0/2.0 usb . i wanted to get western digital element 500gb 2.0 usb but its sold out. In my local store they have western digital element 2.0 & 3.0 element on sale but not sure its going to work . Thanks for help :D

11. obcd

Belgium
    In theory, a 3.0 harddisk should work on a 2.0 usb port as well (just slower)
    Apparently, it takes a little longer for the harddisk to find out how it's connected, and the wii doesn't likes this.
    So, sometimes, the harddisk isn't recognised and isn't mounted properly on the wii.
    This can be occasionally, or every time. Another issue that exist is the auto spindown introduced to extend harddisk and battery life.
    The Wii doesn't like it either if the harddisk need a couple of seconds to reach it's normal rotation speed again.
    Low cost usb enclosures usually don't have those features. Since the wii ports are usb 2.0, using an usb 3.0 compatible harddisk won't give you
    any speed benefit on the wii. It might give you some if you connect the harddisk on a pc usb 3.0 port.

12. Sativa.
    OP

Newcomer Sativa. Member

United Kingdom
    I just ordered a verbatim 320gb 2.0 usb as it was the only HD with 2.0 usb i could find for a reasonable price! They seem to be phasing them out most drives are 3.0 and 2.0 now.And for some reason there is a HDD shortage flooding in thailand apparently, i got told this by 2 locals suppliers. Prices for a 500gb drive are about £89.00 which is alot of money for me to spend and find out it might not work so i got this for £50 . Fingers crossed B-)

13. obcd

Belgium
    It really is trial and error sometimes with those things.
    I sometimes wonder if the prizes of those things aren't artificially held high after the floodage in Thailand.
    You would expect that they could start up the factorys again after a couple of months?
    Maybe they don't want to invest anymore and prefer to migrate to SSD manufacturing.

14. Sativa.
    OP

Newcomer Sativa. Member

United Kingdom
    All i know is a product i see advertised for £34.97 is now impossible to get for under £80.00 plus oversea postage.