Some games are in black and white

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by KeyLocke, Oct 12, 2013.

1. KeyLocke
    OP

KeyLocke Member

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2013
    Bought a non-new Wii recently but some games don't have color. What happened? What can I do?

2. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Are they retail games or backups? It might be that you are trying to load games from a region different from the Wii.

3. KeyLocke
    OP

KeyLocke Member

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2013
    They are backups my friend elf, burned games in fact. So is the TV at fault or the Wii?

4. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    In your backup loader, mess around with the display settings. Tell it to run games using the default region settings for your system or tell it to run the games using whichever region settings you know the Wii is. That will fix the black and white problem with most games.

5. Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2011
    United States
    It sounds like a region issue off hand.

Is this Wii modified?

If so try loading the game with a different loader like NeoGamma and play with the settings. If your using burned DVD's you can still load them using NeoGamma.

If your Wii is just stock and not hacked or modded then it could be your GPU or Cable is bad. Replace the cable connecting to your TV if that does not fix it then its a really bad issue. hmmmm after thinking about it for a moment I dimly recall something about bad power supplies causing this issue as well, maybe its a bad powerbrick in that case barrow a different one to test the issue if it fixes it buy one. (You can do the same for the video cables too. lol)

6. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    Which base IOS are you using, 249? You might have to go into the game options and specify which IOS that game should use when it boots up.

7. KeyLocke
    OP

KeyLocke Member

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2013
    I am actually running games from NeoGamma, and the Wii is modified with USBLoader and GX. I don't know how to mess with the display settings nor what an ISO is.

8. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    In the NeoGamma menu, you can mess with region settings. Try switching around between default, NTSC, PAL, and any variants. You can narrow it down if you know what kind of Wii you have.

I should also note that USB loading is the preferred way of backup loading these days. It has a lot of benefits over disc loading, including but not limited to loading times.

9. KeyLocke
    OP

KeyLocke Member

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2013
    I actually want to go for an HDD but I need to buy a replenishable energy source for my controllers. I'll try checking out the settings of NeoGamma, I only looked at the Wii settings. Wish me luck!

10. KeyLocke
    OP

KeyLocke Member

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2013
    Oh yeah, if I buy a HDD would this same problem occur? Can I fix this too?

11. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    The same problem has the potential to occur, but can be fixed the same way with region settings in the loader. It should be noted that most modern USB loaders have it set to default to load with a Wii's region settings, all but eliminating the issue.

12. KeyLocke
    OP

KeyLocke Member

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2013
    I didn't expect people to be really helpful here. Thank you very much! I'll buy an HDD later and report back here :D

13. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    I should also note that the best way to reduce region problems is to just download and/or use backups that is the same region as the Wii, albeit one can usually just tweak the region settings of a game in the loader to get it to work properly.

14. KeyLocke
    OP

KeyLocke Member

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2013
    How would I know the region of the Wii?

15. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    You can check the system menu version (e.g. 4.2U, 4.2E, etc). If it ends with a U, for example, it's probably NTSC. If it ends with an E, for example, it's probably PAL. If you have retail games that work, then the Wii likely matches the region of those games.

16. Doyouwannadance

Doyouwannadance Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 11, 2013
    United States
    Force your PAL game to NTSC. Worked for me.

17. KeyLocke
    OP

KeyLocke Member

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2013
    How does that work?

Got an HDD all games are in color now :D