Gaming Some Game Recs?

Steel-Winged_Pegasus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gonna get a gaming laptop soon-ish (like, hopefully by this Sunday, after work) for the new school year, mainly to replace this junky 6-year-old MacBook Pro. It's an MSI GS63 from Best Buy, with a GTX1060 GPU (with a core i7 CPU or some gubbins), 1TB HDD, and a 256GB SSD. Windows 10, of course. I'm gonna be gaming when I'm at home, mostly, so battery life isn't too much of an issue, as I'll be doing school work when I'm on campus and I'll plug it into the charger when I get home.

So some game recs for this newbie? I've never really done PC gaming before (let alone on a laptop, kek), so I'm a bit lost and overwhelmed, especially with the lack of games on Mac OS, I'm more used to Nintendo's catering. I definitely know I'm gonna get Destiny 2 in the future... because I'm such a sap for the first game, and my weak ass just caved in to the thought of playing more. :P I do have a few Steam games that are Windows only (Metro: Last Light comes to mind), so there's a few there on the backlog.

Of course, games are so damn big these days, so I probably will fill up that 1 TB hard drive really quickly. :/ I usually prefer single player games, and being able to play offline is a perk, but not a requirement. Any RPGs of note? I already have Skyrim on the Switch, so no need for that. And I don't normally go for shooters, but the Quake homebrew port on my 3DS caught my fancy, so I could go for something out of my comfort zone here and there.

D

Deleted User

Any Valve made games are always a good start for PC gaming. Also games by Bethesda are pretty good on PC due to the immense modding community surrounding their games.

Reactions: AlanJohn

Mariemario

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
XCOM Enemy Unknown Complete Edition for sure. It came out in ps3 era but gameplay is addictive. Some ports like Nier Automata or Nioh if you like action rpg, or Dragon Quest XI if you like turn-based rpg/jrpg.

Reactions: Subtle Demise
D

Deleted User

I've recently picked up Dark Souls III, and the love the game style and atmosphere. If you're familiar with the series you should be warned it quite punishing.
Also highly recommend the Dishonored series. The first is an excellent game and the second is an not bad sequel.
You mentioned RPGs? Fallout is fun, I personally liked New Vegas the most, although it has aged and not as pretty as 4.
Also might I recommend Skyrim on PC, you can get it quite cheap and the mods make a world of difference.
If you like puzzle games, I'll always recommend Portal 1 & 2.
These are my favourites, hope some may interest you.
Oh, and welcome to the PC Master Race :)

Steel-Winged_Pegasus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just got back from work, and I see some pretty sweet recs! And I can definitely confirm, I will be getting the MSI tomorrow after work! ;) A lengthy reply, so it's all under a few spoiler tags!

I’m having a blast with Monster Hunter World.

I heard great things about Monster Hunter in general. Do you just take down these huge monsters? I do like having a lot of things to do in my games, but from what little experience I had, IIRC, with the 3DS Monster Hunter games via demo, there's a lot of ways to take down the monsters, yeah?

Any Valve made games are always a good start for PC gaming. Also games by Bethesda are pretty good on PC due to the immense modding community surrounding their games.

I did have a few bucks left on my Steam account a few months ago, so I used that to buy Portal 2 and Half-Life 2, so that's probably gonna go on the laptop. :)

XCOM Enemy Unknown Complete Edition for sure. It came out in ps3 era but gameplay is addictive. Some ports like Nier Automata or Nioh if you like action rpg, or Dragon Quest XI if you like turn-based rpg/jrpg.

Isn't that the game Mario Vs. Rabbids is slightly based off of? My niece enjoys that game, and while I'm not a fan of Mario Vs. Rabbids, the gameplay looks pretty slick, so I might check that out! And YES, I've been meaning to play Nier Automata ever since I saw some folks at my previous college's anime club play it, looked super cool!

Also might I recommend Skyrim on PC, you can get it quite cheap and the mods make a world of difference.

I know I said no need for Skyrim, since I already have it on Switch... BUT, I totally forgot about the modding capabilities on the PC version! It's cheap enough, I can probably double dip. :) Looking at your other recs, they seem up my alley. Never played Fallout, but I am interested! And thanks for the warm welcome~ I figured now was the perfect time to get a shiny new toy/tool for school (and during my down time).

Mariemario

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Yup. Mario vs Rabbids is a take on a turn-based strategy game and the developers said it was heavily inspired by XCOM IIRC. Solid pick bro, have fun with your new toy!

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
For new PC gamers, I'd recommend humble bundle. A great way to quickly fill up your steam library with more games than you can play.

In the monthly pack, you now get overwatch, followed by about 7 or 8 other games at the beginning of oktober.

I'm mostly into indie platformers. As such, my pickings probably won't interest you much, but if so...here's my list of recent favorite games. If I have to pick one of those:

Ori and the blind forest.

Fragma

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Skyrim on pc is a completely different game with mods though, so I recommend it even though you have it on the Switch.

If you're into old school rpgs I'd say you can go wrong with Divinity Original Sin, 1 and 2.

If you are planning to get a mouse, give the FPS genre a shot. Aiming with a mouse feels much smoother, at least for me. CS:GO is one of the most competitive and popular games out there. There are also class based shooters like Overwatch and
Team Fortress 2 if that's your cup of tea.

If you are looking for something a bit more on the indie side, but with great quality I can't stress it enough how good Hollow Knight is.

Steel-Winged_Pegasus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Skyrim on pc is a completely different game with mods though, so I recommend it even though you have it on the Switch.

If you're into old school rpgs I'd say you can go wrong with Divinity Original Sin, 1 and 2.

If you are planning to get a mouse, give the FPS genre a shot. Aiming with a mouse feels much smoother, at least for me. CS:GO is one of the most competitive and popular games out there. There are also class based shooters like Overwatch and
Team Fortress 2 if that's your cup of tea.

If you are looking for something a bit more on the indie side, but with great quality I can't stress it enough how good Hollow Knight is.

Oh, definitely not doing anything too competitive, if at all. Though, surprisingly, I did play about 6 hours' worth of TF2 back in the day, then I just stopped playing. Still, I might get a mouse, but I'm not sure. Heard great things about Hollow Knight, will definitely see some vids about it and maybe toss money their way if I like it enough. :) As for RPGs, I have been enjoying Octopath Traveler, so I might end up enjoying Divinity Original Sin.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  • Disgaea 5 Complete (not technically out yet, but it's easy enough to find and you'll be able to sign up for beta next month if you want to go legit): Good strategy/tactics RPG with deep customization
  • Dead Cells: badass roguelite metroidvania
  • Sonic Mania
  • C&C Red Alert 3: RTS with good writing and high quality FMVs between missions
  • Starcraft 2: IMO not as good as the first one, but a better pick for a modern PC, another RTS (you probably already know that)
  • Knights of the Old Republic 1and 2 Steam Edition: enhanced versions of the original games. The perfect example of how a console to PC port should be done. You'll want some mods for these ones. For kotor1, you'll need the mod that adds the UI from kotor2. For kotor2, the restoration mod on the workshop is a necessity.
  • Dragonball FighterZ: even if you don't care about dragonball ( I don't), this is a pretty nice fighter, easy to learn but difficult to master
  • Any of the Far Cry games: the first one is more traditonal FPS, but with large open maps. 2-5 offer true open-world exploration and very light RPG-like progression with skill trees
  • Wastleand 2 if you want a truly hardcore RPG experience.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://youtu.be/eFb28u5GPsU?si=35a7C58FgPbaxIMm