Homebrew Question Some advices for installing Android on Switch

PEVOx

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I have a Switch with the latest OFW and the latest version of SX OS on it. With the release of GeForce Now for all users I want to try it on my Switch, because I have an iPhone, so no Android phone for GeForce Now.
Do you have any tutorial on how to install the best Android version for Switch?
I’ll need a new SD card for Android or I can install games and Android on the same 128 GB microSD? The drivers for Android are already good and the Switch controllers works well? Can I use the USB-C port on Switch with a Ethernet-USB-C adapter?
How it works with boot? How can I decide if boot into SX OS or Android? How much space it will take on microSD?

Sorry for lots of questions, but I don’t want to make mistakes with the installation.

D

Deleted User

Well i will answer one of your questions. Android is very cool and I highly recommend using it on the switch. Right now there is no otg usb support. But when docked I use a usb to ethernet adaptor all the time. To me android is the goto for sega saturn, nintendo ds, and dreamcast emulation. There is a new release coming soon as well.

it is technically possible to partition an sd card to load android and horizon but personally I just use a dedicated card for android.

D

Deleted User

So this means one can play SONIC 2 HD on the Switch? Pretty cool.

How does Mario Kart Tour work on the Switch? Can the touchscreen controls be turned into normal controls (analog stick + buttons)?

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So this means one can play SONIC 2 HD on the Switch? Pretty cool.

How does Mario Kart Tour work on the Switch? Can the touchscreen controls be turned into normal controls (analog stick + buttons)?
why would you want tour when you have MK8 on the switch itself?

D

Deleted User

why would you want tour when you have MK8 on the switch itself?
I've played MK8D to death and MKT has some new content and new characters here and there.

If Nintendo released MKT on Switch? Almost everyone would play it.

I personally play it on my tablet in widescreen mode and still enjoy, but not as much as I once did. Just got bored of it too, eventually. Nintendo needs to release Mario Kart 9.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I have a Switch with the latest OFW and the latest version of SX OS on it. With the release of GeForce Now for all users I want to try it on my Switch, because I have an iPhone, so no Android phone for GeForce Now.
Do you have any tutorial on how to install the best Android version for Switch?
I’ll need a new SD card for Android or I can install games and Android on the same 128 GB microSD? The drivers for Android are already good and the Switch controllers works well? Can I use the USB-C port on Switch with a Ethernet-USB-C adapter?
How it works with boot? How can I decide if boot into SX OS or Android? How much space it will take on microSD?

Sorry for lots of questions, but I don’t want to make mistakes with the installation.
The Switch doesn't spoof a Shield TV properly, and the workaround people were using to make Geforce Now work on it has been patched. You need an actual Shield TV or a PC to use Geforce Now (for now), unless that has changed recently.

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Switch doesn't spoof a Shield TV properly, and the workaround people were using to make Geforce Now work on it has been patched. You need an actual Shield TV or a PC to use Geforce Now (for now), unless that has changed recently.
Geforce Now is available on all devices now :P
Also the Switch does spoof a Shield TV properly, the thing that caused some stuff in the Nvidia Games app to not work was a bug or something in the app, and was fixed a couple months after it initially broke.

Last edited by ZachyCatGames,
Reactions: The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Geforce Now is available on all devices now :P
Also the Switch does spoof a Shield TV properly, the thing that caused some stuff in the Nvidia Games app to not work was a bug or something in the app, and was fixed a couple months after it initially broke.
That's good to know. I have a new PC now so it's not much use to me anymore (I'd probably use Steam Link instead rather than pay for Geforce Now) but definitely going to be useful to some people.

It does not, actually (it shows up as Nintendo Switch if you check the about section in settings, and fails SafetyNet without spoofing device identifier with a Magisk mod, there is no device identifier available for Shield TV to properly spoof one though), supposedly it is one of the things they are looking at improving for Pie.

Bobbybumhead

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Quick update, I managed to install android to a 128gb sd card partitioned to enable me to boot sx os and cfw as well. I don't think I can link to sx os but you can find a tutorial by searching sx os support forums for easy bake Android and sx os dual boot guide. It seems to work pretty well.

I have one quick question though, if I leave my switch booted on Android, and connected to the internet, will it automatically download and switch firmware updates? I usually leave my switch on airplane mode to prevent accidental updates but I can't do this if I'm online on Android.

Taorn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[...]

I have one quick question though, if I leave my switch booted on Android, and connected to the internet, will it automatically download and switch firmware updates? I usually leave my switch on airplane mode to prevent accidental updates but I can't do this if I'm online on Android.

No. Android is a complete separate system and won't affect your regular Switch firmware.

Reactions: Bobbybumhead

Ninn

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Quick update, I managed to install android to a 128gb sd card partitioned to enable me to boot sx os and cfw as well. I don't think I can link to sx os but you can find a tutorial by searching sx os support forums for easy bake Android and sx os dual boot guide. It seems to work pretty well.

With android you can connect to the internet and do what the hell you want.

Last edited by Ninn,
Reactions: Bobbybumhead

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
One more thing.

Using a separate sdcard has another benefit as well, android sometimes pushes 1000s writes a second (might be minute.. ;) ), causing the nand to degrade.Without wear leveling this means, that the sd card is under higher probability to fail over time. So if you put any work into your 'normal sdcard' installation, or you dont want to lose a higher capacity card, keeping android on a separate card might not be the worst idea.

Last edited by notimp,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER