SilenceBreaker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
This problem has been solved!

Problem was the Transcend MicroSD, specifically the model TS64GUSDU1.
While the WiiU was able to read and launch homebrew from that card, the dumper, or the console in general, was unable to write to it.

So I've simply purchased a SanDisk 64GB MicroSD (SDSQUNC-064G-GN6MA) and formatted it as FAT32 with a cluster size of 64kb in order to make it work with the console.

Ultimately, if you're seeing this and happen to have the same error as me ("Cannot write to the drive."), then it's most likely your SD card that doesn't play nice with the console.

Hello guys!

I'm basically experiencing the problem stated in the title.

Now, to specify on what I mean exactly, I can't dump the NAND because CFWbooter is giving me an error.

So after launching CFWbooter, I'm asked to simply hit the power button on the console to initiate the dump as you might already know.

Thing is, after a few seconds, it aborts with the error "Cannot write to the drive." and simply reboots the console.

I am using a Transcend 64GB microSD (TS64GUSDU1) with a generic, bland microSD to SD card adapter. The write-lock is not engaged of course.

The SD is formatted in FAT32 (obviously) using a cluster/allocation size of 64kb.

The fw.img file has been obtained from an external site whose name would probably violate the rules of this forum, basically meaning it was not compiled by me.

If it helps, nothing else except for the SD card is inserted in the console.

I've tried the following things already:
- Reformatting the SD with a cluster size of 64kb instead of 32kb (primary partition)
- Formatting the whole system
- Use different microSD to SD card adapters (they are all the same function-wise anyway but one might could have had a bad pin or something, which is why I've tried doing that).

Attached below is an image of the error.
Do excuse the incredibly blurry and bad quality of the picture, but getting the camera to focus on only the text wasn't exactly easy. The white background didn't help with that either.
0qND8Dz.jpg

Do any of you guys have an idea why this doesn't work?
Is perhaps my SD card not supported?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Update:
So I've noticed that while dimoks branch enables me to boot fw.img completely, I always get to face that "cannot write to the drive" error, which I'm currently blaming on my SD card.

For some reason, FIX94s branch makes my fw.img cause a kernel panic, thus making the console crash to the home screen. I've attached a picture below documenting this phenomena. My wild guess is that the compiled fw.img of FIX94s branch contains a fatal bug. Maybe its fw.img somehow just compiled wrong for me though. Apparently this is completely normal and not in fact a kernel panic. This doesn't make things any different though because it still crashes to the home menu without any prompts to dump the NAND.

I will now dig in said branch and see if I can get a revision of the project that could work for me. If I get no positive results, however, I'll just try a different SD card.

9BkqEhb.jpg

Last edited by SilenceBreaker,

SomeGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Hello guys!

I'm basically experiencing the problem stated in the title.

Now, to specify on what I mean exactly, I can't dump the NAND because CFWbooter is giving me an error.

So after launching CFWbooter, I'm asked to simply hit the power button on the console to initiate the dump as you might already know.

Thing is, after a few seconds, it aborts with the error "Cannot write to the drive." and simply reboots the console.

I am using a Transcend 64GB microSD (TS64GUSDU1) with a generic, bland microSD to SD card adapter. The write-lock is not engaged of course.

The SD is formatted in FAT32 (obviously) using a cluster/allocation size of 64kb.

The fw.img file has been obtained from an external site whose name would probably violate the rules of this forum, basically meaning it was not compiled by me.

If it helps, nothing else except for the SD card is inserted in the console.

I've tried the following things already:
- Reformatting the SD with a cluster size of 64kb instead of 32kb (primary partition)
- Formatting the whole system
- Use different microSD to SD card adapters (they are all the same function-wise anyway but one might could have had a bad pin or something, which is why I've tried doing that).

Attached below is an image of the error.
Do excuse the incredibly blurry and bad quality of the picture, but getting the camera to focus on only the text wasn't exactly easy. The white background didn't help with that either.
0qND8Dz.jpg

Does any of you guys have an idea why this doesn't work?
Is perhaps my SD card not supported?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry for the obvious advice you may or may not have seen coming but please, for your own Wii U's safety, compile that fw.img yourself!

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

SilenceBreaker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Alright, first of all thank you for providing such a swift answer.

I guess I should have seen this coming.

The reason why I haven't compiled it myself is because I figured a precompiled version would suffice, but that might be very well not be the case.

I'll go ahead and perform the steps in the fw.img guide, linked by x65943. I'll also try to compare the MD5/SHA-256 hashes of my file vs the one I downloaded to see if this could change anything in the first place.

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, first of all thank you for providing such a swift answer.

I guess I should have seen this coming.

The reason why I haven't compiled it myself is because I figured a precompiled version would suffice, but that might be very well not be the case.

I'll go ahead and perform the steps in the fw.img guide, linked by x65943. I'll also try to compare the MD5/SHA-256 hashes of my file vs the one I downloaded to see if this could change anything in the first place.

The MD5 is going to change unless you downloaded a fw.img compiled today - as Dimok has been updating things.

SilenceBreaker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Alright, so I can finally report back with some news.

I managed to compile the fw.img after fiddling around with some erros I've encountered during the installation.

Unfortunately the system crashes back to the home screen after launching fw.img, only showing me the usual red screen and something along the lines of "initializing ..." in the top left corner for a few seconds.

I've already verified the CRC-32 hash of both files (fw.img and fw.img.full.bin), and they seem to match with the ones provided in "getfwimg.py".

I was using FIX94s branch but will now try the one of dimok. Let's see if this changes anything.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It's me again.

Dimoks branch enabled me to completely boot into fw.img this time, however I'm facing the same "Cannot write to the drive" error all over again...

So basically this means I'm back at square one. I'll try and see if I can get FIX94s branch to boot in the meanwhile.

If that fails I'll just try a different SD card tomorrow.

Reactions: x65943

opendata

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Alright, so I can finally report back with some news.

I managed to compile the fw.img after fiddling around with some erros I've encountered during the installation.

Unfortunately the system crashes back to the home screen after launching fw.img, only showing me the usual red screen and something along the lines of "initializing ..." in the top left corner for a few seconds.

I've already verified the CRC-32 hash of both files (fw.img and fw.img.full.bin), and they seem to match with the ones provided in "getfwimg.py".

I was using FIX94s branch but will now try the one of dimok. Let's see if this changes anything.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It's me again.

Dimoks branch enabled me to completely boot into fw.img this time, however I'm facing the same "Cannot write to the drive" error all over again...

So basically this means I'm back at square one. I'll try and see if I can get FIX94s branch to boot in the meanwhile.

If that fails I'll just try a different SD card tomorrow.
Try formatting SC 64kb cluster size

TheMagicMan

A Person
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im pretty sure the dev/net/ifmgr/ncl is suppose to happen. For me it shows that and then exits to the home menu.

Also do you have enough space on your sd card(32gb)?

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im pretty sure the dev/net/ifmgr/ncl is suppose to happen. For me it shows that and then exits to the home menu.

Also do you have enough space on your sd card(32gb)?

Dimok's dumper formats the card for you, so you don't have to worry about how much free space you have on it as long as it's a 64GB card.

SilenceBreaker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
I'm pretty sure that dev/... stuff is supposed to happen as well, but those numbers after the path indicating a kernel panic surely don't mean anything good.
Especially if it doesn't even let me dump the NAND and instead just crashes.

The SD has plenty of space available, so that is not a concern.

upload_2016-11-2_22-54-35.png

TheMagicMan

A Person
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure that dev/... stuff is supposed to happen as well, but those numbers after the path indicating a kernel panic surely don't mean anything good.

View attachment 67765

Oh yeah your dumping your nand. That just shows up for me when I run it nvm

SilenceBreaker

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Quick question:

I've just noticed that my microSD is in the SDXC format.

Could it be that the dumper is unable to access SDs in this format?
I kind of doubt it to be honest but I'm not quite sure.

ThatNintendoNerd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

View attachment 67765
Ah, I see what you did wrong. You need two partions, one unallocated that is about 32GB, and one that fills the rest at FAT32. Then try.

EDIT: SDXC is fine too. I use that and works.

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guys the new nand dumper formats your card itself. You don't need to make any partitions.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 1080p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality