SOLVED: DSTT hangs on 'loading'

Discussion in 'DSTT' started by willmore, Dec 12, 2008.

Dec 12, 2008
  1. willmore
    OP

Newcomer willmore Newbie

United States
    Hello, all. First post. I just got done reading the FAQ and I didn't see this mentioned. So, maybe I got to be the *lucky* first victim.

I ordered a DSTT from DealExtream and after waiting three weeks, here it is. I grabbed a 2G uSD card, stuck the menu code on it and stuffed it into my DS-lite. Strangely, I got the happy face uSD and 'loading'. It stays like that forever. I thought I maybe got the menu code in there wrong. So, I tried:
    1) reformat the card FAT16 and FAT32
    2) defrag the card
    3) move the contents of the eng/ directory to the root instead of leaving them in there (moving them to root is the right thing).
    4) Cleaning the contacts of the cart and uSD card.

None of this fixed it. So, I opened the card to see if it was a fake or not. Nope, it's a new design authentic card--according to the pics on TTDS's site. But, I did notice *one* little thing while I was looking at it. One of the pins in the uSD slot was missing! It was the second pin in from the non-keyed side. Strange. Upon closer look, only the head of the contact was missing. So, I bent it up a little bit so that it should make contact. After putting the cart back together and putting in my uSD, it booted!

So, if you have the 'stuck on loading' problem maybe you have a broken uSD slot contact.

I'm planning on fixing the slot with a little soldering and the sacrifice of a uSD card reader. Fortunately, I also got an EDGE card which I'm going to use all the time. I just got the TTDS to play with. And play I did. [​IMG]

I'm not sure this is a 'frequently asked question' to be in the FAQ, but use your own judgement if you want it in there.

Cheers!

2. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Thanks for posting that information! Hopefully it will help someone with the same problem. However,most people should just return a bad flash cart and get a new one since mucking around with the insides surely voids the warranty.

-Bri

3. agentgamma

Member agentgamma I dont know what to put here

Antarctica
    Thanks for posting that.
    Should come in handy if I get a DSTT

4. willmore
    OP

Newcomer willmore Newbie

United States
    Bri,

For as cheap as these are, I don't think the word 'warranty' means anything. [​IMG] To ship one back to the vendor will cost more than a new one with free shipping. They're down to < $7 (USD). But, yes, I agree that most people will lack the resources to do effect the repairs themselves.

Cheers.

5. Bri

United States
    Dealextreme will generally send you a new one if yours breaks, and they won't charge return shipping. But I understand your point, and thank you again for posting your solution for those who are so inclined to fix their own flash carts!

-Bri

6. willmore
    OP

Newcomer willmore Newbie

United States
    Bri, Good point. Maybe I'll just let them know that mine is faulty and see if they'll send me a good one. Maybe I'll still fix this one, but *meh*. [​IMG] Thanks, again.

Cheers.

7. Bri

United States
    Usually they'll let you keep the bad one (then they don't have to pay return shipping) so it would definitely be worth a check!

-Bri

8. Upperleft

Member Upperleft Namcoholic

United Arab Emirates
    I got a TTDS recently and i have the white screen or the faded DS screen problem [​IMG]
    tried searching but haven't got an answer.
    will this fix that?

9. willmore
    OP

Newcomer willmore Newbie

United States
    I'm sorry, Upperleft, but I don't think so. The problem for this solution is that the cart will boot--so bright screen, then your selected brightness, then the uSD graphic comes up, and then is says "Loading". At that point, it just sits there. It does boot that far and does see the card, but will never get to the menu.

I think the problem you have is the:
    1) card is bad
    2) card not making good contact with DS

#1 is a return to vendor issue and #2 has a few workarounds. You can look around here a bit more and find the workarounds for #2. Hint, my only post that's *not* in this thread was in response to such a question. [​IMG]

Cheers.