Softmod from USB?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by sknow, Aug 20, 2013.

1. sknow
    OP

sknow Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 20, 2013
    United States
    As I posted in another thread, my kid killed my SD card reader. In trying to figure out what was wrong I wiped out all the homebrew stuff I had.

I have a USB converter for my SD card, as well as an 8GB USB stick, is it possible to install homebrew and all from that, without an SD card?

2. Luigi2012SM64DS

Luigi2012SM64DS G-old member

Banned
    Aug 27, 2011
    Canada
    Minecrapt
    Nope. Sdcard is required.

3. bostonBC

bostonBC GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 17, 2011
    United States
    If you carefully take the Wii apart you can get to the SD reader housing. I've had to do this with a few Wii's.

Insert SD card and hold it in place until the exploit loads, install HBC and any cIOS's and then you can load from USB.

4. Aractus

Aractus GBAtemp Regular

Aug 4, 2013
    Canberra
    You can wire the SD-slot to one of your GC port's, then use a gamecube memory card (or, say, a gc-gecko in place of the gc-memory card) and it'll read it as SD (well your wii will read it as being both an SD-card and a GC-card). It's pretty simple, and in fact you could even do it on RVL-101 wii's and it would allow you to use your SD card as a gamecube memory card (of course you'd still have to find a way to solder on the gamecube ports). The pinouts are here, I'll post back and tell you how many wires you'd need (you don't need to - and you shouldn't - connect every point)

5. Rydian

Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    ... but then you'd need a way to put the files on the GC card as well, and getting an SD reader will be less expensive and way less work.

</killjoy>

6. Aractus

Aractus GBAtemp Regular

Aug 4, 2013
    Canberra
    You never know, he might already have an SD-gecko lying around. Anyway, the data pins on an SD card are 1, 7, 8 and 9. You need to connect those four pins to their corresponding pins on either the gamecube memory card slot a or slot b. I think that's all you need to get your GC Memcard port working as an SD-drive. Here's the pinout for the wii's front sd-slot (on the left):

[​IMG]