Hardware Softbricked my 3DS, Could use some help saving it.

Themanofpie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I installed Sliderhacks earlier today, and had to try to downgrade my 3DS. It was on version 9.8 and needed 9.2. I got into the homebrew menu, launched sysUpdater after installing MenuHax, and let it start applying the 9.2 CIA files. The tutorial I followed on this board said that, after it was done, it should say "rebooting in 10 seconds!" which it did, but then went to a black screen. I was told to let it sit there for a while before doing anything more.

20-30 minutes later, I decide that it's likely been long enough, and press the Home button to try and bring up the supposed prompt to begin downgrading. Nothing happened, so I deiced to power down my 3DS, taking out the SD card, and powering back on. Now here's where the problem comes in: When I powered the system back on, all I get is a continuous black screen, for which I cannot press any buttons or make anything else happen.

I've tried several solutions to this problem, such as:
Powering on the 3DS with the SD card in, Powering it on with the SD card out, Powering it on with the SD card in with no files on it, powering it on while holding the L button, Powering it on and continuing to hold the power button. None of these work, and both screens continue to stay black.

The only interface menu I can get into is Recovery Mode by holding L+R+Up+A, and when I do, the 3DS says that there's a system update available, and asks me if I'd like to install it. Pressing Cancel turns the system off, pressing okay tries to begin the update but immediately fails, as I've already entered the DNS address to block the system from receiving updates from Nintendo (A mistake. I probably should have waited till I got the hack working.) The update failing turns the system off, and I'm back to square one.

Any help with this problem at all would be greatly appreciated. I feel like it's possible to recover somehow, even if I can't get the hacks working. I'd just really rather not have to buy a new 3DS unless I know it's totally hopeless.

Thanks in advance, and apologies for the long post.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
since you have tubehax set up, try using a cellphone hotspot or your router and set up an SSID named attwifi. The 3DS should pick up on this without adding a connection and will use whatever DNS is assigned rather than tubehax dns. You will end up on 10.5 and require a hardmod to do the 10.5 hybrid firmware downgrade method.

Themanofpie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
since you have tubehax set up, try using a cellphone hotspot or your router and set up an SSID named attwifi. The 3DS should pick up on this without adding a connection and will use whatever DNS is assigned rather than tubehax dns. You will end up on 10.5 and require a hardmod to do the 10.5 hybrid firmware downgrade method.

How do I tell the 3DS to connect to that hotspot rather than my normal wifi if I can't access any settings through the recovery menu?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You can just update in a place (inside microwave, for one :D) where there are no known networks/Zones in range, and it will take you to network setup!

Themanofpie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update: Was able to get to the wifi settings once I'd disabled my router's wifi radio switch, and remove the setting so now it updates properly. Thank you for the help. :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o