So, which chip should I get?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by naes, Jan 31, 2009.

Jan 31, 2009

So, which chip should I get? by naes at 12:26 AM (1,916 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. naes
    OP

Member naes GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well, after getting a 2nd Wii and being out of the Wii "scene" for a while, I've decided to buy a Wii modchip and a WiiClip.

According to WiiTracker,

There is a 50% chance that your drive chip is a GC2-D2C

There is a 50% chance that the pins on your drive chip are not cut.

According to Wii Drive Chip Database,

* There is a 75% chance the chipset is GC2-D2E.
    * And there is also a 25% chance the chipset is GC2-D2C2 (v2) and the drive has the new metal clip.

I would like a modchip with 100% compatibility. Also, does Nintendo ban people online like Microsoft on the 360 (haven't got banned yet, it's fairly easy not to get caught). I am thinking about Wasabi, D2Pro v9 or WiiKey but have no clue which chips are the best. And being updatable is a high priority.

Also, I will not be soldering, so I will need a WiiClip.

2. DuskLord

Newcomer DuskLord Member

Finland
    I've been using Wasabi for a few months now. Everything has worked so far. There are some updates available on their site, but there has been no reason to update so far. Also, I've never heard of anyone getting banned from WFC. I've played some backups online as well without worries or problems.

3. plexo

Member plexo GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    personally i wouldnt recommend wasabi simply for their reputation, id go for a wiikey v2 modchip

if it is a d2e modchip use these points:

http://i40.tinypic.com/hvcwsm.jpg
    http://i42.tinypic.com/2i8vmlt.jpg

the alt "G" point wont give you any eject issues [​IMG]

latest wiikeys will also auto brickblock discs for you to stop you from bricking your wii from updates [​IMG]

4. naes
    OP

United States
    Wait, doesn't the Wasabi block updates too? And I'm not going to solder, I'll be using a WiiClip.

And what is wrong with the Wasabi? I found a pretty good deal and it's cheaper than the WiiKey v2. Why shouldn't I go with the Wasabi?

5. DarkLG

Member DarkLG Wow One Shiny Ribbon!!!!

United States
    Get WiiKey 2.

6. naes
    OP

United States
    What advantages does it have over the Wasabi though? The Wasabi is cheaper

7. DuskLord

Newcomer DuskLord Member

Finland
    Wasabi's reputation? I haven't heard any bad words about them, ever. Also, if you update the Wasabi chip, you're able to auto-block updates as well.

I say Wasabi's pretty close to perfection at the moment - or then I'm just a lucky guy, having absolutely nothing to whine about the chip.

8. plexo

United Kingdom
    the wasabi isnt cheaper, the wiikey v2 is cheaper

wiikey v2 is one of the cheapest chips around

theres nearly NO difference between all the chips on the market today, its personal choice, i have always used wiikey and d2pro's, never had any issues with them

9. naes
    OP

United States
    Actually, the cheapest Wasabi I found was cheaper than the cheapest WiiKey v2, but I'm now leaning towards the WiiKey v2 because it has automatic region detection and system recovery mode. However, it does seem like there are a lot of problems with it when I glance over forums, which kind of worries me.

10. plexo

United Kingdom
    paste some links of both of them please?

there is no problems with wiikey v2, ive fitted over 50 of them so far without any problems..

11. naes
    OP

United States
  12. kevenka

Member kevenka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    had a d2pro for about 7 months now...never had to update...up to you to decide if you want it(I got the clip with it)

13. IOwnAndPwnU

Member IOwnAndPwnU GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Wii Key 2. Just got it yesterday and very satisfied. No issues whatsoever. Runs at proper game speed (as intended) and much better than the softmod from what I've heard (the professional modder told me that).

With the Wii Key 2, as long as you don't do anything stupid, you should be fine. With Wii backups, you should have no issue.

14. triassic911

Member triassic911 Burst Mode

United States
    I always go with the chip that has the team's support behind it. That was why I took out my wiikey and put in a wiikey 2. I like how the wiikey 2 lets you read backups at 6x, unlike softmods, otherwise I would of went with that.

15. plexo

United Kingdom
    that wiihacks link, nomatter what chip you have you will have people are have problems because they dont fit it right... use the alt CLK point with the wiikey v2 and u will never have a problem with eject issues etc, and on that site u showed us the wiikey v2 and wasabi with the stupid clip thing is the same price??