Hardware So, which chip should I get?

naes

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, after getting a 2nd Wii and being out of the Wii "scene" for a while, I've decided to buy a Wii modchip and a WiiClip.

According to WiiTracker,

There is a 50% chance that your drive chip is a GC2-D2C

There is a 50% chance that the pins on your drive chip are not cut.

According to Wii Drive Chip Database,

* There is a 75% chance the chipset is GC2-D2E.
* And there is also a 25% chance the chipset is GC2-D2C2 (v2) and the drive has the new metal clip.

I would like a modchip with 100% compatibility. Also, does Nintendo ban people online like Microsoft on the 360 (haven't got banned yet, it's fairly easy not to get caught). I am thinking about Wasabi, D2Pro v9 or WiiKey but have no clue which chips are the best. And being updatable is a high priority.

Also, I will not be soldering, so I will need a WiiClip.

DuskLord

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
I've been using Wasabi for a few months now. Everything has worked so far. There are some updates available on their site, but there has been no reason to update so far. Also, I've never heard of anyone getting banned from WFC. I've played some backups online as well without worries or problems.

plexo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
personally i wouldnt recommend wasabi simply for their reputation, id go for a wiikey v2 modchip

if it is a d2e modchip use these points:

http://i40.tinypic.com/hvcwsm.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/2i8vmlt.jpg

the alt "G" point wont give you any eject issues
wink.gif

latest wiikeys will also auto brickblock discs for you to stop you from bricking your wii from updates
wink.gif

naes

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
plexo said:
personally i wouldnt recommend wasabi simply for their reputation, id go for a wiikey v2 modchip

if it is a d2e modchip use these points:

http://i40.tinypic.com/hvcwsm.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/2i8vmlt.jpg

the alt "G" point wont give you any eject issues
wink.gif

latest wiikeys will also auto brickblock discs for you to stop you from bricking your wii from updates
wink.gif
Wait, doesn't the Wasabi block updates too? And I'm not going to solder, I'll be using a WiiClip.

And what is wrong with the Wasabi? I found a pretty good deal and it's cheaper than the WiiKey v2. Why shouldn't I go with the Wasabi?

DuskLord

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
Wasabi's reputation? I haven't heard any bad words about them, ever. Also, if you update the Wasabi chip, you're able to auto-block updates as well.

I say Wasabi's pretty close to perfection at the moment - or then I'm just a lucky guy, having absolutely nothing to whine about the chip.

plexo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the wasabi isnt cheaper, the wiikey v2 is cheaper

wiikey v2 is one of the cheapest chips around

theres nearly NO difference between all the chips on the market today, its personal choice, i have always used wiikey and d2pro's, never had any issues with them

naes

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, the cheapest Wasabi I found was cheaper than the cheapest WiiKey v2, but I'm now leaning towards the WiiKey v2 because it has automatic region detection and system recovery mode. However, it does seem like there are a lot of problems with it when I glance over forums, which kind of worries me.

plexo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
paste some links of both of them please?

there is no problems with wiikey v2, ive fitted over 50 of them so far without any problems..

IOwnAndPwnU

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wii Key 2. Just got it yesterday and very satisfied. No issues whatsoever. Runs at proper game speed (as intended) and much better than the softmod from what I've heard (the professional modder told me that).

With the Wii Key 2, as long as you don't do anything stupid, you should be fine. With Wii backups, you should have no issue.

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
I always go with the chip that has the team's support behind it. That was why I took out my wiikey and put in a wiikey 2. I like how the wiikey 2 lets you read backups at 6x, unlike softmods, otherwise I would of went with that.

plexo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that wiihacks link, nomatter what chip you have you will have people are have problems because they dont fit it right... use the alt CLK point with the wiikey v2 and u will never have a problem with eject issues etc, and on that site u showed us the wiikey v2 and wasabi with the stupid clip thing is the same price??

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: https://youtu.be/e1G3aKJ3g18?feature=shared