So what does REDNand do?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by karloz25, Nov 1, 2016.

1. karloz25
    OP

karloz25 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 11, 2010
    United States
    Somehow with all this news, I seem to can't find what exactly is this used for?

What does this new ISOU hack do? Do we already have a custom firmware we are installing?
    Will I still need the boot HBL from the web app like i have been doing? I have all my games on my menu from the brazillian hack would this change that ?

Thanks in advance guys

2. Supster131

Supster131 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    My Computer
    Right now? Not much.
    You're pretty much loading the NAND off an SD card, rather than internal memory. This is called "redNAND".
    Yes, each time you turn off the console you will need to boot redNAND via the HBL.
    Not really, things will stay the same unless you format sysNAND, which I wouldn't really recommend doing at the moment.

the_randomizer and karloz25 like this.
  3. karloz25
    OP

karloz25 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 11, 2010
    United States
    Answered all my questions, thanks.
    I guess i'm in no hurry to use then, until a custom firmware or useful app is released. correct?

4. Supster131

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    My Computer
    I guess so, yeah.
    I just don't see the average user currently benefiting from redNAND.

karloz25 likes this.
  5. x65943

x65943 Resident Greekaboo, Amateur Dog Father

Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Indiana
    The biggest thing is that it allows you (through signature patching) to install vc, eshop, dlc, and homebrew apps to the system menu.

TayTayTheKiller and karloz25 like this.
  6. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    That's all well and good, the process to set this all up, unfortunately, is not exactly user-friendly and potentially dangerous and has a risk of bricking the Wii U. Will it stay non-user friendly to those who don't know what they're doing? No one knows. Maybe if/when permanent CFW is possible.

Last edited by the_randomizer, Nov 1, 2016
  7. synce

synce だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん

Nov 5, 2009
    United States
    I think CFW requires modified sysNAND, otherwise you'll always have to run some program first. If this is like 3DS then RedNAND is basically a backup of your sysNAND that your console will use so the sysNAND itself doesn't get screwed up. Correct me if I'm wrong though

Exavold likes this.
  8. CreeperMario

CreeperMario GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 18, 2016
    Australia
    OSv10 v15702
    Custom Firmware (CFW) does not require modifications to your console, it can be done entirely through temporary exploits (web browser and kernel exploit to boot HBL, then exploit IOSU and boot CFW from there)

Other than that, you are correct. RedNAND is indeed a backup of your sysNAND, that while certain CFWs are booted, will be used instead of your sysNAND. This means that if you perform some potentially dangerous operations and end up bricking your redNAND, your sysNAND is still functional and you can simply re-dump.

leonmagnus99 likes this.
  9. PagaN

PagaN GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2009
    Cuba
    Right now rednand do nothing useful for common user.

10. Bimmel

Bimmel ~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~

Jan 28, 2014
    Gambia, The
    I have the same thoughts right now. With no ability to install DLC and stuff at the moment, it's pretty much useless for people who don't know what they're exactly doing.

leonmagnus99 likes this.
  11. CreeperMario

CreeperMario GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 18, 2016
    Australia
    OSv10 v15702
    These people understand.
    If you don't feel comfortable setting up compiler toolchains and downloading images and whatnot, wait for everything to become a little more user-friendly first.

Bimmel likes this.
  12. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    It's not entirely pointless. The sysconfig tool is interesting to play with and it also lets you launch out of region games. For example, you can do a legit install of Taiko No Tatsujin and use the tool to launch it. Not much advantage over loadiine I guess but it's there.

You can also use fake tickets to install eShop only games and homebrew and launch those straight from the home screen.

Bimmel likes this.
  13. Bimmel

Bimmel ~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~

Jan 28, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Now that is interesting. Did not know that.

14. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    Yeah, the sig patches really do work. The only downside I guess is that there are extra steps to take to get there first. The Brazilian USB thing really did give us a nice clean way and it's going to be a while before this catches up.

15. Exavold

Exavold GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 9, 2015
    France
    RedNAND is way easier to set up when you have the IMGs already generated from that iso site.

Also , the biggest thing on RedNAND right now is sig patches ; I just can't wait for installable homebrew.

Last edited by Exavold, Nov 1, 2016
  16. karloz25
    OP

karloz25 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 11, 2010
    United States
    So is it possible to install Brazillian USB games that are from another region than my own using REDNand? and will they launch from the maina menu with out running any exploits first?

17. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    Other region titles too, right?

RedNAND is great, but its not without its irritants, needing to go to the browser to launch it, is annoying, especially when all the retail titles from your region loading off your USB will load fine without needing to utilize the browser at all.

18. Supster131

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    My Computer
    It's kinda region free.
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-setup-rednand-w-sigpatches.446818/
    There's a section that tells you how to make games region free.

19. x65943

x65943 Resident Greekaboo, Amateur Dog Father

Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Indiana
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/a-complete-rednand-guide.446878/

Read near the end of the guide Repacking out-of-region games which you can boot from the Home Menu

karloz25 likes this.