Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
This is a pretty random topic, if it's EOF material, then please move there, I considered it to be Off-Topic so I posted it here.

So, what did you call your PC's, and why'd you call them that?

My PC's names are as follow:

- Techie (main desktop and computer used for gaming) - Reason, it was quite a powerful when I got it, it even had a blu-ray and an hd-dvd reader when I bought it, so I've been keeping that name even after upgrading and formatting it several times now;
- Dracko (old laptop which only is broken now) - It was a gaming laptop, it was pure pitch black and had the brand logo in a metal plate on top, which made it look evil;
- Flagger (desktop used for work mainly) - It's an average computer that I just bought a like two months ago to do work, however my aunts use it for facebook and other stuff like that, the reason that it's called Flagger, was because I was looking at a Flag while configuring it;
- Lumines (main laptop and the one used for visual novels and emulation) - This one was called this, since it's a really shiny colour and stuff. z.z

Well, what about yours?

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I call mine "computer," or "PC." I'm not in the habit of giving personalised names to inanimate objects.
Pffft! Personally I get connected to my stuff all my consoles and computers get a name, most people probably don't care about it, but I can't help but feel attached to them after fixing, cleaning and using them. z.z

Reactions: 1 person

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can remember many of my PC's names that I've built and laptops I've had over the years. Although I'll start with the two I still have.

Hand-me-down laptop gift from a client: Solstice

Beastly but last-gen desktop PC: Gravitron (http://tumbling.exangel.com/pc/)

Desktop before that: Virgo
Previous laptop that I sold: Starlight
Previous gaming laptop: Navi (from Serial Experiments Lain, not that annoying fairy)
Previous Previous Desktop: Orion
Previous Previous Previous Desktop: Nova

Pre-2006 PC names: Minkle (this was the coolest looking build I ever did), Leviathan, Blackbox, Storm

Also, while we're at it, my dad's given his PC's some interesting names:
Netbook: Dink
Desktop: El_Refurb
Previous Desktop: Gizmo
Previous Previous Desktop: Shoebox (it was a Shuttle SFF case)

Reactions: 3 people

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The Dinosaur. For obvious reasons. Although my bros old PC was even worse. (Pentium 2 366 MHz, beat that)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
There's only one PC that I ever named - its name was Junkbot. It was made of various scrap parts, a GeForce 2 MX and an old Celeron Slot-1 processor. It was placed in an aquarium tank, cooled passively by suspending it in 13 liters of mineral oil. It was later renamed to Junkbot Mark II due to the enhancements I gave it - most notably a Pentium III processor connected via a Slot-1 adapter, a GeForce FX5200, a bubble maker at the bottom of the tank and a blue light at the top, with the hard drive and the disc drive placed in a compartment at the top made of chipboard.. It died a horrible death - I dropped a screwdriver into the tank while fiddling with it - obviously it was on and obviously it shorted.

Rest in Peace, Junkbot Mark II - you will be remembered. Bubbles have never been the same for me...

Reactions: 4 people

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I also avoid naming inanimate objects (also many animate objects and will just use their noun or a suitable adjective). This said depending upon how close they are with a date to Mr Sledgehammer there can be a long chain of profanity mixed in, although such a thing is perhaps more likely to be aimed at the people I am likely to dub engineers in name only responsible for the predicament of the moment.

Network names themselves- just netbios stuff it is usually what it does (mediaserver) or something that can be tied to the owner/location of it and both of those are on the way out as I start toying with virtual machines, terminal servers and domains and piping them over a network. I will however take the time to lose [insertOEM]-[insert random string of numbers] as that just gets silly.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, and my first laptop was named Henry. I steered away from "personifying" my computers after this because it made me really really sad when he (it) irrecoverably died.

edit: I guess Minkle was an exception to this but I didn't keep "her".

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
laptop-clarky
desktop-abel, story behind that, during the naming process an Oasis song called Guess God Think Im Abel was on, still have found Cain though

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: they be like which lite firefox exe pls