Hacking So now that the DSTWO SDK is released....

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to start developing BUT I need to learn how to code/develop for it. Anyone got any tips on tutorials/learning items that would help me? Any help is appreciated.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
my best advice is to wait until just after xmas when the books for the spring semester go on sale. drive up to your local college (that doesn't check IDs to buy books =P) and pick up a CS/CIS book that covers "C/C++". those books are structured to help you learn, usually have good examples, and come with a cd (with examples and a compiler).

once you know what you are going, even if its the basics, you can get a wealth of information on the internet. there are some great coding groups on usenet. gbadev.org has a ds coding section and a C/ASM help section. not to mention irc and other coding forums.

good luck and let us know if you ever make anything for the scds2.

-another world

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im personally interested in this, are there any good online resources for learning something basic like C/C++ as a replacement for college books (im in high school)

Edit: also interesting in learning how to code web pages (html5, javascript, css)

BassAceGold

Testicles
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Coding on the Supercard DSTwo is very easy if you know C or C++. Everything is done via software so there is not much to learn about the hardware thus you can quickly get started on coding. The only difficult part is that the SDK is fairly bare-bones so you will need to write all your graphics and audio routines for what ever you decide to make.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
[*]Get a text editor with syntax highlighting. Notepad++ is recommended, but there's tons more. You WILL want (and learn to love and rely on) syntax highlighting. As a friend of mine says...
QUOTE said:
(KirinDave): To be honest, I'm kinda terrified of people who use just plain Notepad to code. It's like meeting someone who refuses to wear anything but furs they've caught themselves, despite living in the first world. You know something is wrong, but you're afraid to tell them because they may hurt you.http://notepad-plus-plus.org/download

[*]You need to have a good grasp of the concept of syntax. A markup language, like HTML will do that. You'll find it's basics are similar to bbcode (as bbcode is designed to give a forum user some capability of text formatting without giving them all the control of HTML). Understanding why the order of things matters and the differences between single-instance tags and tags that open and close (as well as proper closing order) makes later things easier.
http://www.tizag.com/htmlT/

[*]CSS is what's applied to the raw HTML to make it pretty. This type of relationship is important to understand, so I recommend some basic CSS afterwards. Don't spend too much time on this, just enough to understand the relationship between the two.
http://www.tizag.com/cssT/

[*]After that you should work on a little javascript (as unlike HTML it's an actual programming language), as it'll introduce you to program flow in an HTML environment (so you'll be a bit more comfortable with it).
http://www.tizag.com/javascriptT/

[*]Once you're fluent in javascript I suggest moving to another language, Python is really recommended for beginner programmers.

[*]After you've learned enough Javascript and Python to make a few useful programs/tools (or games that work differently from each other), feel free to try moving onto C/C++.No, you're not going to be programming C++ in a week. Programming is a lifetime thing, and it's a hell of a lot more complex than people think it is.

For example, my signature looks pretty damn simple, right? How long can the code be? 5, maybe 10 lines?
CODE
Minus the comments, of course.

Thesolcity

Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the suggestions people, and I assume you know quite a bit about programming Rydian
tongue.gif
. I found a book entitled "C/C++ For Complete Beginners" my relative had. Should I start there, or work my way down your list?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl: