So my Switch Lite has a modchip now....

Ondrashek06

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
So my Switch Lite has a modchip now (thank you to the person who sold me the chip and did the mod). I don't really plan on buying a huge ass-MicroSD and play ROMs since I own all of my games, it's more to backup my save data and use some quality of life homebrews. That being said, would the simple fact that I have a modchip in my system put me at risk of getting my system banned? I don't really care about online gaming, but I do want to update my games and buy some Smash and MK8 DLC.

Cheers
How much did you pay, and who is that person?

Aheago

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as you don’t go online with a dirty Emunand and don’t install dirty things on your Sysnand then you‘re good to go. A modchip by itself is not detectable by Ninty. It’s your actions after the modchip glitches the boot process that matter. Enjoy your chipped Switch!

edit: IMO this is risky behavior, but some folks run CFW and occasional homebrew on their Sysnand. I guess the thought process there is if you’re not cheating or stealing Ninty will leave you alone? I personally wouldn’t do it but to each his/her own.

edit2: hit up the dedicated Switch Banning Hub.
I’ve used a CFWd system online for a few years now without ban

I just make sure to launch the homebrew menu via a game to make sure it’s hidden and don’t use pirated games on the system

No problems thus far. I’m sure the second I stop using basic homebrew and install a non legit title I will be flagged for ban

I guess this is more to confirm what you said. OP should be fine as long as he doesn’t do anything dumb with the system

Reactions: binkinator

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
NOPE?!?!

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK?

$350, WHICH IS THE PRICE FOR AN OLED SWITCH, FOR JUST A FUCKING CHIP & INSTALLATION?
Keep in mind that's CAD, not USD.
The hwfly clone is $150 (CAD) on AliExpress. And the original is unobtainium now, so it's probably even more, the install itself might've been about $100 of that, which is still a little pricy but eh, the main cost is probably the chip since they're so hard to find. I wouldn't pay $350 myself, you could buy an unpatched Switch for that money which is a better system than the Lite anyway because it can dock. Much better purchase in my opinion.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The hwfly clone is $150 (CAD) on AliExpress. And the original is unobtainium now, so it's probably even more, the install itself might've been about $100 of that, which is still a little pricy but eh, the main cost is probably the chip since they're so hard to find. I wouldn't pay $350 myself, you could buy an unpatched Switch for that money which is a better system than the Lite anyway because it can dock. Much better purchase in my opinion.
That’s a little better then. $275 USD out the door. If you say the chip was $150 and then add an extra $25 premium for it being an original that leaves $100 for the install.

56C10CAD-5561-4A89-8C25-F7DB35E6AB96.jpeg

Ondrashek06

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
$150 just for a stupid piece of plastic and some resistors and condensators? What? $150 could net you a low-range CPU, which is significantly more valuable.

For $150, I'd except it to at least be solderless.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
$150 just for a stupid piece of plastic and some resistors and condensators? What? $150 could net you a low-range CPU, which is significantly more valuable.

For $150, I'd except it to at least be solderless.
you realize most of the times you pay not just for the actual parts of the product its made of but for the intellectual work/property that were put into while designing and manufacturing it.. there are a lot of factors affecting the prices of different things, by your logic anything made of wood would cost the same cause the same amount of wood was used in manufacturing which is completely wrong

Ondrashek06

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
you realize most of the times you pay not for the actual parts of the product its made of but for the intellectual work/property that were put into while designing and manufacturing it.. there are a lot of factors affecting the prices of different things, by your logic anything made of wood would cost the same cause the same amount of wood was used in manufacturing which is completely wrong
Parts - $5
Marketing - $0 because you literally can buy it only on grey/black market sites
IP - What IP? They didn't patent the design of the chip. Nor is there any sort of brand/copyright.
Design - Ok, that might be quite more expensive, I'd say $50.
Actual work made to make it - $15 to an underpaid kid in China.
"Just because" fee so they make profit - $30

That is $100. Doesn't explain $150.

randy_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you realize most of the times you pay not just for the actual parts of the product its made of but for the intellectual work/property that were put into while designing and manufacturing it.. there are a lot of factors affecting the prices of different things, by your logic anything made of wood would cost the same cause the same amount of wood was used in manufacturing which is completely wrong
hwfly did basically nothing, iirc they just managed to get hold of team xecuter's code and schematics. Also original price is like $45.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hwfly did basically nothing, iirc they just managed to get hold of team xecuter's code and schematics. Also original price is like $45.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/comparison-of-modchips-on-the-market.609136/

They did a little bit.

You have to consider how small the market is. Has to be a switch owner. Must be interested in modding. Must have the right model. Must be a person of adventurous nature with a damaged moral compass, willing to send 150-200 dollars overseas with very little recourse (so disposable cash on hand.) I would think it would be tough to make your money back on your initial investment with those odds.

*not saying I don't fit any of these groups by the way.

Reactions: randy_w

randy_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They did a little bit.
Well judging from the pictures they just changed the silkscreen on the PCB. They also locked down the GD/STM32 microcontroller's firmware on those unflashable initial releases. PCB layout and component placement are exactly the same as team xecuter's original design, and on oled they just exposed all soldering points, everything else's same as sx core. So yeah they did a little bit, really little lol.

• Haha

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
That’s a little better then. $275 USD out the door. If you say the chip was $150 and then add an extra $25 premium for it being an original that leaves $100 for the install.

View attachment 307368
I'm guessing more like a $100 premium so $250 CAD for the chip, $100 CAD for the install (the $150 was in CAD)
But I'm just guessing.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm guessing more like a $100 premium so $250 CAD for the chip, $100 CAD for the install (the $150 was in CAD)
But I'm just guessing.
Oh, hells yeah. Totally just guessing. It’s fun to speculate. 😀
Dude is enjoying his modified Switch. Totally worth it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: how are you doing @K3Nv2