Hacking So I've read the sticky, but I still have a quick question

whyyes

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My PSP 100x has been on 5.00 M33-6 for quite a long time. It ran almost any ISO/CSO I threw at it. However in the guide it says I may update to 5.50 GEN-D Prom 4 or whatever. Is this really worth it? And now I'm seeing ISOs 'signed' for 6.xx, will I be unable to run these? I've been out of the scene for a while, help me out
yaypsp.gif
?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Have you had any problems with any of your games? Y/N
Are you capable of downloading a 2Mb ISO Tool and pushing the X button a couple of times to patch your own games? Y/N

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Honestly patching games is a doddle and M33 is fine. Plus you have the 1.50 kernel if you need it.

whyyes

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xist said:
Have you had any problems with any of your games? Y/N
Are you capable of downloading a 2Mb ISO Tool and pushing the X button a couple of times to patch your own games? Y/N

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Honestly patching games is a doddle and M33 is fine. Plus you have the 1.50 kernel if you need it.
Ah um...how new do the games need to get before patching is required? I really don't mind doing it though aha my PSP started on 2.60 I believe...I've gone through a lot more hoops to get stuff to work in the past years haha

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
From around whenever Disgaea 2, Il Sturmovik and Beaterator came out to now.

whyyes

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xist said:
From around whenever Disgaea 2, Il Sturmovik and Beaterator came out to now.
Hm I see. So basically, try,and if it doesn't work, patch it? Where would I located the ISO patching tool?
And also, you didn't really explain what the 'signed' games are...

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Any game under 728MB can now be signed with the official hardware decryption/reencryption keys so that they'll be recognised and play on OFW (if you rip a game or downsample it that's allowed too). This is handy for the latest unhackable consoles like the Go as it enables them to play ISO's on stock firmware. However for you it's pointless.

Latest ISO Tool is here (go into the PSP then Game folder within the archive, take the iso_tool folder and put it in your PSP/Game folder...like normal homebrew)
Get these files too, extract and put them in PSP/GAME/iso_tool/DATA/Prometheus/ME631. For some reason they're never included.

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Upgrading to 5.50 Prome-4 is so easy, I don't know why you wouldn't just do it - download 5.50-GEN-D3 put in update folder and install it, then download the prometheus patch and install that - done.

5.50 GEN-D3: go here

Prometheus 4 for 5.50: go here

Lots of tutorials available on how to do if you're not sure. some of your plugins might not work or cause crashes - the only one I use is CWcheat 0.2.2 and that's working fine. Just turn them all off then try one at a time (if you use plugins).

whyyes

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xist said:
Any game under 728MB can now be signed with the official hardware decryption/reencryption keys so that they'll be recognised and play on OFW (if you rip a game or downsample it that's allowed too). This is handy for the latest unhackable consoles like the Go as it enables them to play ISO's on stock firmware. However for you it's pointless.

Latest ISO Tool is here (go into the PSP then Game folder within the archive, take the iso_tool folder and put it in your PSP/Game folder...like normal homebrew)
Get these files too, extract and put them in PSP/GAME/iso_tool/DATA/Prometheus/ME631. For some reason they're never included.
Thank you VERY much
smile.gif
. I haven't run across a single game needing to be patched yet, but there's some interesting stuff coming this year... Persona 2 Innocent Sin for one. It seems like the PSP's library is finally getting the quality titles it deserved back in 05-06 when I got this thing
tongue.gif

I don't suppose you'd know anything about the Photo Fast 5400 card would you? It enables the use of two micro SDHC cards. Some people say it burns out in PSP 1000s though, and yet others say they have no problem. I guess I'll just test it and see, 16GB of memory sounds nice.

whyyes

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mechagouki said:
Upgrading to 5.50 Prome-4 is so easy, I don't know why you wouldn't just do it - download 5.50-GEN-D3 put in update folder and install it, then download the prometheus patch and install that - done.

5.50 GEN-D3: go here

Prometheus 4 for 5.50: go here

Lots of tutorials available on how to do if you're not sure. some of your plugins might not work or cause crashes - the only one I use is CWcheat 0.2.2 and that's working fine. Just turn them all off then try one at a time (if you use plugins).
Let's just say I had a lot of respect for Dark_Alex. Maybe you haven't been following the scene as long as I have.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Those adapters are generally better suited to the 1000 as they're slightly bigger and sit less well in the 2000's and don't meet the contacts. Ultimately i'd rather have a good Sandisk stick (Ultra II if possible) but if you're that desperate then the Photofast CR5400 is ok. On the other hand i'm perfectly happy with 4GB sticks.

Oh and if you do ever decide to do what the above poster suggests you'd need to fix ALL your saves as they'd all be corrupt on Prometheus firmware.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
So the MicroSD to Pro-Duo adapters and are a better fit for the 1000 series? Good to hear since I was going to buy one regardless of series and now I guess I'm lucky in the respect that I have a 1000 series headed my way.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, but you still may have issues with some plugins and corruptions due to the speed deficit compared to a regular Pro Duo. You also get lags in the menu's due to the MG checks (which you can permanently disable but it's best not to.)

The Photofasts are nice and everything, but if you want a decent reliable stick go for a good Sandisk any day of the week.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Eh, the annoyances seem minor overall. I mean, the price of Pro-Duo isn't even fair for the amount of memory you get. When I can pay about $25 for 16GB worth of memory, why would I pay more for 4GB? Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, but pro-duo memory is the opposite of cost effective.

As a decidedly cheap person (not because I want to be, just not a lot of money to spend), more memory for less money is a good thing. Little annoyances are to be expected if it seems just a little too good.

Edit: Well balls to you Sandisk. I didn't realize the memory was just as expensive as their other memory. I'll use my set up for awhile and may move to a 8GB Sandisk Pro-Duo when I get the chance to. I mean, $25 is kinda spendy for someone with zero income, but I'll make it work. Maybe I can resell these 4GB MicroSD cards for cheap, or trade them for an 8GB Sandisk Pro-Duo.

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
whyyes said:
Maybe you haven't been following the scene as long as I have.

Apparently, you haven't been following it at all:QUOTEI've been out of the scene for a while

yaypsp.gif

EDIT: I know the save thing is a problem, but isn't it better to do the work now and just be able to play whatever you want later than having to patch every game you want to play later just to avoid upgrading?

whyyes

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mechagouki said:
whyyes said:
Maybe you haven't been following the scene as long as I have.

Apparently, you haven't been following it at all:QUOTEI've been out of the scene for a while

yaypsp.gif

EDIT: I know the save thing is a problem, but isn't it better to do the work now and just be able to play whatever you want later than having to patch every game you want to play later just to avoid upgrading?
Honestly the patching isn't an issue haha I did it once today and it went off without a hitch
smile.gif

But seriously, I was following it closesly up until M33-6. Then I kinda dropped out for what seems like a couple years.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/34203/Tomb_Raider_Definitive_Survivor_Trilogy/ mmm